Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Neighbor just turned in his WRX STI Lease replaced it with a Ford Focus RS. 350hp out of a 2.4L mated to a 6spd manual, with AWD. Its rediculous. I would guess that Subarus new 2.4L dit is tuned at a hp level that allows ithe Ascent to drag people and gear up long climbs without melting down the cvt. Though I bet the WRX gets the same engine tuned in the 300+hp range.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I turn it off for the annoyance factor. Makes me think I stalled. As a rental I'm not overly concerned about long term reliability, that was more for a "if my next car has this..." thing.
My son has had multiple owners bring their vehicles in for service, complaining they stall at stop signs and traffic lights, where the owner did not realize they bought a vehicle with stop/start technology.

Neighbor just turned in his WRX STI Lease replaced it with a Ford Focus RS. 350hp out of a 2.4L mated to a 6spd manual, with AWD. Its rediculous. I would guess that Subarus new 2.4L dit is tuned at a hp level that allows ithe Ascent to drag people and gear up long climbs without melting down the cvt. Though I bet the WRX gets the same engine tuned in the 300+hp range.
My son's best friend has one of those. Not my cup of tea but that little car is dang fast.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Overheard at dealership: "Your car is a turbo". Customer "Really?"
The vast majority of car buyers fit that description. They are just not "car" people.

I've been married 37 years. In that time my wife has bought 7-8 vehicles. To her it is like buying a dress. Only interested in style, size, color and price.

·
Super Moderator
25,274 Posts
Overheard at dealership: "Your car is a turbo". Customer "Really?"
what was it specifically.

FXT?

and I remember a local guy here with a baja. ...a mechanic told him it was turbo the week after he bought it used.
(drove it around for like 5 years no problems).

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Love the tech. Lots of cars will have similar tech by 2020 - I remember when electric windows were a big deal and now we wouldn't think of owning a car without them. Too bad I don't need such a gigundous vehicle now that the kids are making their own way in the world soon.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Haha, I remember my dad's Nissan pickup in the 90's. No A/C. Man, that was rough in the summer!

·
Registered
237 Posts
No. And that's kind of my whole complaint.

Instead of going for a six seater where all six are "adult usable" they've gone for seven or eight seats where only four of the seats are adult usable. Why do car companies keep putting in completely worthless middle seats and third rows? Just to check "feature" boxes?

I'd love to see a six seat configuration with two sets of captain chairs and less cargo space while the third row seats are in use (so you get more leg-room). That would make this vehicle unique, you'd sell it using a bunch of pictures of full sized adults in all six chairs.
I convinced myself a Highlander had enough room for 6 adults when needed but it turned out to be very uncomfortable so I ended up selling it in a year. I have waited for the Ascent hoping it would have the room. I also have considered the Durango but dont really want a Dodge, the Yukon XL etc are just to big and gas hogs, also might as well have the Durango. For now its driving 2 vehicles when necessary but really may end up with the Sienna AWD mini van.:banghead:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Everyone thinks they are great drivers, it seems. Eyesight helps a driver as it does not replace any part of driving. I suspect some form of eyesight features will be standard on almost all vehicles in a few years.
I think it should be required for bad drivers. You know, those people who text while driving, put on make-up, tailgate, or just don't give a flying F if they kill somebody. Those people really NEED Eyesight but won't pay extra for it because they don't care about anyone except themselves.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I convinced myself a Highlander had enough room for 6 adults when needed but it turned out to be very uncomfortable so I ended up selling it in a year. I have waited for the Ascent hoping it would have the room. I also have considered the Durango but dont really want a Dodge, the Yukon XL etc are just to big and gas hogs, also might as well have the Durango. For now its driving 2 vehicles when necessary but really may end up with the Sienna AWD mini van.:banghead:
Based on needs there is nothing like a good minivan for people and stuff. The Odyssey looks nice but lacks AWD if thats a must

·
Registered
416 Posts
The vast majority of car buyers fit that description. They are just not "car" people.

I've been married 37 years. In that time my wife has bought 7-8 vehicles. To her it is like buying a dress. Only interested in style, size, color and price.
Tell me about it. My wife is in need of a new car and it is getting a little frustrating on my end trying to 'help' her decide on what she should get. I just asked her what she is looking for and confirmed your statement...it is all about the looks. ARGH!!!!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Tell me about it. My wife is in need of a new car and it is getting a little frustrating on my end trying to 'help' her decide on what she should get. I just asked her what she is looking for and confirmed your statement...it is all about the looks. ARGH!!!!
Guys, guys, guys,

Perhaps your better halves are well aware that you were looking out for the practicality / economy / reliability / longevity / whatever side of the transaction, and they have limited their input to that area where they may feel they can best contribute, which is aesthetics. Let's be honest, if it were entirely up to the opinions of men to design cars, a lot of them would end up looking like something straight out of Mad Max. Bring the opinion of women into the picture, and we get a much more diverse selection - some good, some bad, but at least it's a selection.

And I would offer that such masterpieces as the E-type Jag, or the Citroen DS-19 owe their very existence to women - no, not because it was a woman who designed them (it wasn't), but simply because they inspired the shape of the cars' bodies.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Guys, guys, guys,

Perhaps your better halves are well aware that you were looking out for the practicality / economy / reliability / longevity / whatever side of the transaction, and they have limited their input to that area where they may feel they can best contribute, which is aesthetics. Let's be honest, if it were entirely up to the opinions of men to design cars, a lot of them would end up looking like something straight out of Mad Max. Bring the opinion of women into the picture, and we get a much more diverse selection - some good, some bad, but at least it's a selection.

And I would offer that such masterpieces as the E-type Jag, or the Citroen DS-19 owe their very existence to women - no, not because it was a woman who designed them (it wasn't), but simply because they inspired the shape of the cars' bodies.
Interesting view. Funny though...her current vehicle is a 2007 Nissan Murano. Guess what...it was designed by a female. I personally find it hideous but she absolutely adores it and finds my 2013 Outback too blocky and manly in looks but loves the current gen Outback saying it looks 'softer' to her. She also likes the Audi Q7 and obviously and unfortunately for me the current XC90.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Let's be honest, if it were entirely up to the opinions of men to design cars, a lot of them would end up looking like something straight out of Mad Max.

·
Super Moderator
25,274 Posts
updated thread title from just being about the LA autoshow of late 2017.

here is a video I picked up off the LGT.com Ascent thread.

its a walk around of the 2019 Ascent at the North American International Autoshow in Detroit (January 2018)

sound quality is bad, (at least the subaru guy has a mic)

notice the panel on the bumper for the tow hitch.

if I go to the NYC autoshow from March 30- April 8, 2018 I will ask about tongue weight. (hope others will too).

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW I did 100% of the comparison shopping, Subaru brand research, negotiating, and ultimately the purchase itself of our 2018 OB Limited, titled in my name alone. All by myself, a little female wifey type. And I didn't need it to match my wardrobe or anything. How about that? :wink2:

...sigh

·
Super Moderator
25,274 Posts
picked this off the LGT.com ascent thread:

a individual walk around at a autoshow of a 2019 ascent that has a build date of 01/18.

cool little bit there on the front of the driver's seat.

he says he's 6'4" and he climbs into the 3rd row to rest his head on the roof, and

he finds spare tire under the rear :frown2: where they have rusted into place on all things under the sun since Methuselah.

blue with brown interior, I kind of wish they would put the white on white ones in the shows again for pics and video.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts