Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm considering to buy this Outback. has 57k miles on it, 1 owner, no accidents, in the color i want. This would be my first subaru and i would be a cash buyer. After test drive, we went over numbers. The price for vehicle is $21,950 with everything added the total came to $25,500 out the door. The price included a "prep fee" of $1,395.00. Knocked them down to $24.5k with a 500 discount towards added insurance. This to me is still very high. What would you consider a fair offer? I gave them an offer of $22k and then decided to walk. Would $23k be fair or is that still too high? Any advice/suggestions would be helpful! thanks!

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I would have left as soon as they wanted a $1400 prep fee.

My offer would be no more then the asking price plus taxes and the DMV fees.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have left as soon as they wanted a $1400 prep fee.

My offer would be no more then the asking price plus taxes and the DMV fees.
I called them out on it. I said how about no prep fee and give me the car as is. lol if it's taxes and DMV fees the car comes to approx. $23.5. Vin window etching was included as well, is this necessary? I do get a slight discount through insurance for having it.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,076 Posts
Where do you live that there are taxes on a used vehicle purchase?

Or is this part of the $1,550 registration fees?

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Where do you live that there are taxes on a used vehicle purchase?

Or is this part of the $1,550 registration fees?
Heck, where do you live that there is no sales tax on a used vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Heck, where do you live that there is no sales tax on a used vehicle?
Yes please tell me how I can buy something and not pay taxes on it.
Oregon has no sales tax on new vehicles, let alone used. Last I renewed my registration, it was about $150 or so out the door for two years, including the emissions check for the Portland metropolitan area.

If you were to purchase a new car in Oregon, however, you will be charged whatever fees and taxes are appropriate for where you intend to register it - there's no getting around that part of it. But conversely, if I, say, go to Grand Subaru in Chicago and buy one, they will register and charge me for Oregon.

You've got to get out of West Virginia, @Brucey. For more reasons than this one, perhaps.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,503 Posts
Vin window etching was included as well, is this necessary? I do get a slight discount through insurance for having it.
Did they already do it on their own or did the previous owner pay for it? In my little mind, it's worthless anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did they already do it on their own or did the previous owner pay for it? In my little mind, it's worthless anyway.
Pretty sure it's not on there. I inspected the windshield and windows and didn't notice any etching. I feel like there is no point either except additional money for them.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
That prep fee is crazy IMO. 21,900 is about right for a dealer. I have a '15 3.6R and for kicks one time asked a dealer what they would give for trade and it was about 18 and change so figure they mark it up to 21/22 retail.

Reactions: LostMyMarbles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That prep fee is crazy IMO. 21,900 is about right for a dealer. I have a '15 3.6R and for kicks one time asked a dealer what they would give for trade and it was about 18 and change so figure they mark it up to 21/22 retail.
Yep, when i saw that i said it was ridiculous. I got them to bring it down to 400. I think i'll say best and final $23,00 Out the door. I think it's a fair price. Thank you for the trade in value on yours! Hope this seals the deal!

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
904 Posts
Oregon has no sales tax on new vehicles, let alone used. Last I renewed my registration, it was about $150 or so out the door for two years, including the emissions check for the Portland metropolitan area.

If you were to purchase a new car in Oregon, however, you will be charged whatever fees and taxes are appropriate for where you intend to register it - there's no getting around that part of it. But conversely, if I, say, go to Grand Subaru in Chicago and buy one, they will register and charge me for Oregon.

You've got to get out of West Virginia, @Brucey. For more reasons than this one, perhaps.
For the record, there are only five states that don't charge sales tax on vehicle purchases. For Oregon, in lieu of a sales tax you're hit with an income tax that's considerably higher than most other states. If you're a big spender with little income, it's terrific.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,629 Posts
I think i'll say best and final $23,000 Out the door. I think it's a fair price.
There are quite literally a limitless number of variables to consider when buying a used vehicle and assessing what a "fair price" constitutes. You started this thread to ask and then answered your own question without any input on the price of the car. I'm not trying to rip on you but frankly your question does not have a definitive answer short of what you consider subjectively to be fair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are quite literally a limitless number of variables to consider when buying a used vehicle and assessing what a "fair price" constitutes. You started this thread to ask and then answered your own question without any input on the price of the car. I'm not trying to rip on you but frankly your question does not have a definitive answer short of what you consider subjectively to be fair.
I've listed the basics of what i know of the car. Again, 2015 3.6, 1 owner, pre-owned certified, 57k miles, asking price out the door (taxes, fees, prep fee) was $25,500.00. I've said the prep fee which was at $1,395.00 which is ridiculous. What I received are why am i paying taxes on a used car. Obviously, you have to pay taxes unless you are in a state that doesn't include it, which i am not. Some helped with my question. Will you help me understand what "limitless number of variables" there are while considering what a "fair" price is? Car looks and runs good, no problems that i could tell or my mechanic can tell.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
904 Posts
Hi All,

I'm considering to buy this Outback. has 57k miles on it, 1 owner, no accidents, in the color i want. This would be my first subaru and i would be a cash buyer. After test drive, we went over numbers. The price for vehicle is $21,950 with everything added the total came to $25,500 out the door. The price included a "prep fee" of $1,395.00. Knocked them down to $24.5k with a 500 discount towards added insurance. This to me is still very high. What would you consider a fair offer? I gave them an offer of $22k and then decided to walk. Would $23k be fair or is that still too high? Any advice/suggestions would be helpful! thanks!
Pricing can vary greatly by location, but in my market I can see two similar CPO Outbacks (2015 3.6R Ltd with 52k-58k miles) both priced around $21k. There should be no "prep fee" or unusual additions beyond a doc fee, registration, and sales tax. We don't know the break down on your sales tax or registration, so it's hard to comment on your total cash price. As for negotiating, much will come down to what other options you (the consumer) have. If there are no similar cars priced less then they may not be willing to negotiate. If they let you walk they apparently weren't too concerned. Personally for me, any dealer that adds a big "prep fee" to their advertised price is not worthy of my business. But if this is the only car you can find and you need it right away, you may just have to deal with these crooks the best you can.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,496 Posts

Neat.

Apparently five states don't charge sales tax on vehicles.

Oregon charges the seller instead of the buyer.

I'm not sure if the offset in state income tax is worth avoiding a 5 percent sales tax on a vehicle every 5-10 years, bubby.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I'm not sure if the offset in state income tax is worth avoiding a 5 percent sales tax on a vehicle every 5-10 years, bubby.
Well yes, there is that.

But we do have about 50% more retail square footage per capita than other urban areas, and the reason is simple: although any untaxed Oregon retail purchases by out-of-staters are supposed to be declared and equivalent taxes paid to the home jurisdictions in California, Washington, Idaho, and even British Columbia, this rarely happens. If it did, we wouldn't be so overbuilt for retail. Although cars as I said are unavoidable for taxes, and now Amazon even charges taxes where the package is delivered, the point of sale purchases are entirely honor system. And for that, the mantra seems to be "pay cash, put it in your car, drive home, and forget about it".

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I'm not sure you know me if you think "more strip malls than other cities" is appealing.
Yeah, I sort of figured that of you.

What it means here though is:
1. Lots of stock is carried, even for big ticket items.
2. Lots of competition to keep prices reasonable.
3. Emphasis on big stores, factory outlets, and warehouses.
4. Lots of DIY'ers buying things like appliances, building materials, furniture, electronics, etc. - you can't take delivery of it out of state and avoid taxes, so they buy it right there, then transport and install it themselves.
5. Lots of rural Washington drivers on our roads, without many skills or knowledge of driving in more crowded urban areas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

We have what was a new 2015 and it is our second Subaru. If I could go back, I would not have bought it because it has been one problem after another.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts