Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We're looking to buy either a used Honda CR-V or Outback since our little two-door hatchback isn't cutting it anymore. I saw a local posting of a 2013 2.5i Premium with the all weather package and 94,000 miles and the seller is asking a little over $12,000 for it. Is this a good deal? Also, while I plan on taking it to my mechanic to check it out, should I be wary of that many miles on it given the age?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,400 Posts
My '13 2.5 has about 55k miles.

I will have to check the maintenance schedule, but I think brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 30k, so it SHOULD have been done recently. Spark plugs are supposed to be changed at 60k, so they SHOULD be midlife. Not sure about coolant.

Note that the '13 has a reputation for burning oil. Not all VIN are affected, and not all affected VIN burn oil. Mine is in the VIN range but does not burn oil. Vehicles in the range have been given an extended warranty for excessive oil consumption. I do not know what percentage actually do burn oil, but it's enough that it gave Subaru a bit of a black eye.

So, check the brake fluid and spark plugs to see if that work has been done and be aware of the possibility of excessive oil use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My '13 2.5 has about 55k miles.

I will have to check the maintenance schedule, but I think brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 30k, so it SHOULD have been done recently. Spark plugs are supposed to be changed at 60k, so they SHOULD be midlife. Not sure about coolant.

Note that the '13 has a reputation for burning oil. Not all VIN are affected, and not all affected VIN burn oil. Mine is in the VIN range but does not burn oil. Vehicles in the range have been given an extended warranty for excessive oil consumption. I do not know what percentage actually do burn oil, but it's enough that it gave Subaru a bit of a black eye.

So, check the brake fluid and spark plugs to see if that work has been done and be aware of the possibility of excessive oil use.
Wow, thanks for the heads up on the oil issue, I wasn't aware of that. The reason I have kind of focused my search on a 2013 is that is about the year I can get in my price range ($10-$12k) without excessive miles. I guess I should expand my search and see if I can find a 2014 for that price but I think that would be really hard to come by.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Check kbb.com for a price that is customized for your zip code.

Check Here for information on the extended warranty (8yrs 100k miles) and affected vehicles

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,400 Posts
Wow, thanks for the heads up on the oil issue, I wasn't aware of that. The reason I have kind of focused my search on a 2013 is that is about the year I can get in my price range ($10-$12k) without excessive miles. I guess I should expand my search and see if I can find a 2014 for that price but I think that would be really hard to come by.
Nothing necessarily wrong with the '13. Some burn oil (most don't), and if they are covered under the extended warranty Subaru will fix it.

I'll find my copy of the letter. You can look up the VIN.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,400 Posts
Really, if you like the car and the price is right, the worst thing you *might* have to do is add a quart of synthetic oil every now and then. The '13 2.5 requires full synthetic.

·
Registered
2013, OB Limited, 2.5, dark gray. July 2016 - approx 55,000 miles.
49 Posts
Hi all,

We're looking to buy either a used Honda CR-V or Outback since our little two-door hatchback isn't cutting it anymore. I saw a local posting of a 2013 2.5i Premium with the all weather package and 94,000 miles and the seller is asking a little over $12,000 for it. Is this a good deal? Also, while I plan on taking it to my mechanic to check it out, should I be wary of that many miles on it given the age?

Thanks in advance!
Price seems about fair. When I bought a limited in 2013, I was offered a premium for about $24,000. So you're buying a half used Subaru for half the new price...ish. The miles from 100,000 - 200,000 will surely cost more in maintenance than 0 - 100,000, so perhaps $12k is a tad high.

But, if the car is nice, looked after, maintenance and you like it, then sounds good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts