Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to find out what your local dealers are charging for the 30,000 mile service where your at. I already prepared myself for sticker shock. I'm physically not able to do my own maintenence so I have to take it in for this.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Here is Diablo Subaru in Walnut Creek, Ca..a ripoff in my opinion.
Find an independent to do the service.

Major Service (every 60 months or 120 months)

60,000 / 120,000
Most Models: $749.95 Turbo Models (before 2010):$829.95 6 Cylinder Models: $769.95 Synthetic Oil Models: $789.95
We will perform the following services:

• Replace engine oil per specifications for your model
  • Replace filter with Genuine Subaru oil filter
  • Check and top off all fluids
  • Rotate tires and set tire pressures
  • Replace Spark Plugs (all models)
  • Replace Air Filter
  • Replace Fuel Filter (if applicable)
  • Inspect Brake Pads and entire Braking system
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Check Axle Boots and Shafts (front & rear)
  • Check operation of clutch system (if applicable)
  • Inspect Steering and Suspension systems
  • Replace Engine Coolant and Inspect Cooling system(except STI & >2009 models)
  • Inspect Camshaft Drive Belt (if applicable)
  • Inspect Drive Belts
  • Inspect Wheel Bearings (front & rear)
  • Inspect Wiper Blade condition
  • Inspect Fuel lines and system operation
  • Replace Differential (front & rear)
  • Replace Transmission Fluid (except CVT)
  • Complete multi-point inspections
  • Perform Transmission relearn procedure

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
30,000 miles = oil change, air filter, brake fluid, and rotate tires.
Any place can do that - no need for a dealer. But if you have to go to a dealer...

Ask them to perform those items only - don't pay for "services" or "packages" which they are going to try to upsell you.
You only need a $50 oil change, $25 air filter, $100 brake fluid change, and $25 to rotate tires. $200.

Every 30,000 miles for brake fluid, that's crazy but if you want to stick to the schedule that's understandable. No one driving Subaru's to 300,000 miles is changing brake fluid anywhere near every 30k. That would be 10 changes for 300,000 miles - that's NUTS!

The "services" are a joke at a dealer, the 30,000 one is particularly grievous.
There's a lot of marketing driven revenue inflating fat added in the those services that are all but meaningless. They can range from $400 - $800. Here's a bunch of absurd quotes:
30,000 mile service - service quotes - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

your 2010 maintenance schedule is here:
2010 Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period

·
Registered
2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback
258 Posts
I just had Subaru dealer change brake fluid, I did all other myself.

I think the 30,000 mile brake fluid change is excessive, I will wait longer next time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the scoop on the service maintenance. I may just go ahead and do as you guys suggest and have them do just the essential items. Wife is just paranoid and doesen't want to do anything to possibly void the warranty.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Would like to find out what your local dealers are charging for the 30,000 mile service where your at. I already prepared myself for sticker shock. I'm physically not able to do my own maintenence so I have to take it in for this.
What exactly is a 30,000 mile service?

I recall at 30,000 miles you get an oil change, replace the cabin filter take a peek at the brake pads and your done.
For the price of an oil change and air filter you have a 30K service.

By the way anytime you call a dealer and ask them what a 30K service costs? The dealer knows they have an open wallet for which they can suck money out of with their shop vac.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Thank you very much for the scoop on the service maintenance. I may just go ahead and do as you guys suggest and have them do just the essential items. Wife is just paranoid and doesen't want to do anything to possibly void the warranty.
You can't void the warranty unless you do something really blatantly wrong or highly modify the car etc.

Any dealer that mentions warranty could be voided by having a non dealer service your car should be AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS and possibly reported to the BBB...

·
Registered
22,802 Posts

60,000 / 120,000
Most Models: $749.95 Turbo Models (before 2010):$829.95 6 Cylinder Models: $769.95 Synthetic Oil Models: $789.95

• Replace Air Filter
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Inspect Drive Belts
LOL yes complete rip off specifically targeting customers who believe everything they read. Oddly enough I have found this dealer to be hands off regarding pushing their package deals when its clear that you know enough or read your owners manual and are not going to fall for the trumped up list of service package things.

The all time takes the cake list was a VW dealer who after 4 calls finally gave me their list. Not kidding 15,000 mile service included a "Roof rail security inspection" a body lube ie grease the door hinges" among other things all for the great deal of $650!!!

Brake pads and parts no included if they are needed in bold print!

I called them back and said so - your charging $650 to wash the roof of my car, grease the doors - change the oil and park the car on your lot? The service guy laughed and said yes you are correct I do not advise it good by. HA HA

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
Hey Upflying: I see your signature says you are in Reno but you also posted Diablo Subaru's prices. DS is my local dealer and I would prefer an indie for these types of services. The only local subie guy I know of (TD Garage) just up and moved to Berkeley, which is too far to go. Do you happen to know a good shop in the Walnut Creek/Concord area?

60,000 / 120,000

• Replace Air Filter
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Inspect Drive Belts

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I'm in Lamorinda - not really in need of an local Leo yet and I'm going to approach WC Subaru first for the more subaru type stuff which more or less is just the CVT service.

I do the brakes and oil changes takes me more time to get to WC than it does for me to just do it my self. Not to mention since doing these my self we have no longer had oddly short brake service intervals. I'm thinking about just getting a brake bleeder my self so I can do that too. Local shop wants $150 for brake fluid flush!!!! I think he's using gold powdered fluid or something for that price! Also just last year our one local shop I had repack wheel bearings on my trailer I hate doing that job. STarted offering mileage based service packages!!!!!!!!!!! Not kidding he offered me 150,000 mile service package for my 93 Land Cruiser for $1500!!!!!!!!!!

I started laughing at him and said really you guys are jumping on the whole fake mileage based package deals now? I told him I would no longer be going to his shop for the few things I wanted them to do.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Lafayette Motors next door to Big O on Mt Diablo seems to have a good reputation. Might be an option for the non Dealer stuff by the way. My only experience with them was when a potential buyer had them do the inspection on my truck. I looked them up and they seem to have a decent long term reputation for being fair.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Qualify this for daily drivers/commuters. The NASIOC folks that modify, do clutch dumps, race, etc - failures are common and they have multiple sticky's for those...go read them for humor at least if you're bored. Assuming this car isn't modified, racing, seeing clutch dumps and burn outs...(there are probably plenty of those guys getting away with warranty service by deinstalling modifications, etc...)

Wife is just paranoid and doesen't want to do anything to possibly void the warranty.
There is an enormous discrepancy between talking and thinking about warranties being voided and it actually happening. It's talked about but nearly unheard of.

Subaru would loose money if they skipped out on warranties...they'd have to pay more lawyers, human resources, it would be a logistical and economic nightmare to try to stick it to everyone who skipped an oil change. They would look terrible and receive due lashback if they skipped out on a transmission warranty issue because one didn't change an unrelated drive belt on time.

If the instrument clusters fails dealers do not send the FBI to make sure you changed your oil on time. it would cost them too much and gives them a distasteful public perception and just doesn't make sense.

For folks that have had engines replaced, I have never heard of the dealer asking for proof of oil changes. Of course they have it if it's done there but that's far from common place, plenty of people do their own or go to any old oil change joint.

I don't know exactly how it works but Subaru Corporate eats some of the costs and the local dealer is somewhere making money performing the warranty (they get reimbursed somehow, the mechanics are getting paid to do the work)...so there is incentive in your dealers to do the work....it's not like the guy doing the work is loosing his paycheck.

basic premise is "don't be dumb".

warranty voiding is

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hey Upflying: I see your signature says you are in Reno but you also posted Diablo Subaru's prices. DS is my local dealer and I would prefer an indie for these types of services. The only local subie guy I know of (TD Garage) just up and moved to Berkeley, which is too far to go. Do you happen to know a good shop in the Walnut Creek/Concord area?
I made reference to Diablo Subaru primarily because of this post:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/49563-150-oil-change.html
I still live in Antioch but I also own a second home in Reno. Reno is my escape hatch when California implodes.
Sorry, I do not know of an indie in the Concord/Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek area. I worked as a cop in that area for 30 years so you would think I would recall something. This is my first Subaru so maybe I wasn't paying attention when I was on patrol. I'm now semi-retired but I still work part-time as a motorcycle cop.
There is a great place in Antioch though. Werner was great when I had an aircooled VW but not sure if he works on Subarus.
http://eastbay.citysearch.com/profile/937181/antioch_ca/quality_import.html

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
Thanks Upflying. The wife and I are starting to look around Minden for retirement in a few years. Cannot wait to get out of CA!

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/49563-150-oil-change.html
I still live in Antioch but I also own a second home in Reno. Reno is my escape hatch when California implodes.
Sorry, I do not know of an indie in the Concord/Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek area. I worked as a cop in that area for 30 years so you would think I would recall something. This is my first Subaru so maybe I wasn't paying attention when I was on patrol. I'm now retired.
There is a great place in Antioch though.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Sorry, I do not know of an indie in the Concord/Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek area. I worked as a cop in that area for 30 years so you would think I would recall something. This is my first Subaru so maybe I wasn't paying attention when I was on patrol. I'm now semi-retired but I still work part-time as a motorcycle cop.
There is a great place in Antioch though. Werner was great when I had an aircooled VW but not sure if he works on Subarus.
Quality Import in Antioch, CA - Reviews and Directions
Your 90 day NV residence ;-) We have a few houses in our hood all the cars sport NV license plates but they have all been there during my evening walks since we moved here in 2009. So much for the 30day grace then you need to get your CA plates.

We've played with NV property ideas but there is really nothing up there that we find attractive except maybe a place right on Tahoe. But that obviously comes with a price too. LOL

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
My dealer told me it should be just under $300 for the 30K service

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
My dealer told me it should be just under $300 for the 30K service
Prices I would negotiate
$100 for brake flush if you feel you need it at 30K.
$50 for oil change and quick peek at the brake pads given they do this any time they change the oil anyway

$24 for the cabin airfilter that gives em $12 for the filter and $12 for the 5 minutes max it takes to replace it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Thanks Upflying. The wife and I are starting to look around Minden for retirement in a few years. Cannot wait to get out of CA!
I looked at the Minden/Gardernerville/Carson City area when I was house shopping in NV.
You are at the mercy of Highway 50 and all the congestion in South lake Tahoe when hopping over the Sierra. I liked the I80 access better.
I too share your "getthehellouttahere" sentiments.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, Im still waiting to hear back from the service manager. I called to get a price but the service writer was too busy so I was put put through to someone else. I don't know who this person was, but didn't sound very experienced at service work.

I was however told it would run right around or just under a $1000.00. They are very much aware they are the only dealer in town. We made several attemps at buying a car from this dealer but ended up walking away in the end. I'm now leaning towards buying the parts and taking them else where.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats funny!
We moved here from the Central Valley. Lived in San Ramon/Dublin for a while when we first were married. Wife is born raised there. Missouri is by no means paradise, but I can at least afford to live here.

Well, I not sure, maybe I can afford to live here. It appears I can't afford to get my car serviced without making a major financial investment in Vaseline products. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts