Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 2.5i. Eyesight & moon roof.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
I am in the get the 2014 Outback now or wait for 2015's to come out dilemma. :confused:

Does anyone have a good sense of what negotiations are like when a new model year comes out?

Do they tend to hold to the MSRP?
Do they sell at invoice price?
Do they go below invoice?
I can probably get a 2014 now at least about $1500 below invoice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Only reason I would hold out for a 15 is for a power lift gate if your into that sort of thing. As for negotiating on a newly released model year?

Pricing is driven by availability vs Demand. Subaru is up 45% in the last three years clearly demand is very high. Production capability is not at the same level as GM or Ford so best guess your negotiation on a brand new probably not even on the dealer lot 2015 will be pretty much zero.

BTW those wheels in the spy shot are the same wheels we have on our 2010 Legacy Premium - lots of games being played with that 2015 OB in disguise. As I said only reason to hold out for the 2015 is if a power lift gate is a deal or no deal decision point for you. The rest of the car is going to be nearly identical to my 2010 OB with very small options changes.

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
312 Posts
I don't think we even know if the 2015 is going to have a power rear gate - it should, but who knows!

I think pricing will really depend on where you are located - $1500 under invoice is going to be quite a bit better than most are able to do, I would guess. I would expect to see something around invoice price as obtainable, but probably not the first month or two they come out. (I don't think you'll have any trouble getting them a ways under MSRP) It will also depend on availability. When I ordered my Legacy, they were having troubles getting them on the lot - they would get them in, then they'd be gone in a day or two! If the '15 offers a substantial improvement over the '14, getting a deal the first few months will be rough.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Question is what engines will be available. Thought it would be the 2.5L and 2.0 DIT and not the 3.6R but indications are the 3.6R will be back.

As far as negotiations go it is totally dealer dependent. I did the technique provided in this forum of sending out exactly what I wanted to 8-10 dealers in my area. It worked out extremely well for me.

Best advice I can provide and even if a new model a sale is a sale...

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Perception… ‘I know you’ve got a ton of 14s, but I’ll pay full price for the 15’.
The 15 will be old in 2016. 14, you get a good price now. 15, patience Grasshopper. As above, which car do you want, but (probably) not at the same price early on. You’ll get supply/demand-101 from the dealer.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
I thought everyone paid around 2% below invoice (not sticker or MSRP). The VIP program automatically gives you that and if you don't have the VIP program available you just negotiate for that amount. That's what I paid for my 2010 OB which was in short supply just after C&D picked it SUV of the year. Also paid roughly that for my 2010 Legacy and 2013 OB when it first came out. When the new model is about to come out the discount grows on the previous model.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Bugs and defects make first year model changeovers a concern.
Lack of dealers willing to deal on short supply new models means waiting until '16 for a better deal.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Mpnret makes a good point. Costco, VIP, USAA and others do offer a good price without any negotiations. Those are something like 1-2% under invoice I think so check them out too.
I forgot about those places...

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 2.5i. Eyesight & moon roof.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I assume the dealer is not going to sell for less if they can sell all they have for more unless they are committed to a program.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Same with the Forester,especially the XT. They seem to have a little more wiggle room with the non-XT models but under invoice is hard vs the OB they are willing and ready for a substantial under invoice price

As far as first year bugs the 15 should be better since it appears to be a refinement of the 14 but I'm still not sure of powertrains. My gut feel says a XT Outback with the FB20DIT. HP in the high 260's but I still hear 3.6 but
no more 5 speed auto

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Same with the Forester,especially the XT. They seem to have a little more wiggle room with the non-XT models but under invoice is hard vs the OB they are willing and ready for a substantial under invoice price

As far as first year bugs the 15 should be better since it appears to be a refinement of the 14 but I'm still not sure of powertrains. My gut feel says a XT Outback with the FB20DIT. HP in the high 260's but I still hear 3.6 but
no more 5 speed auto
Ground up all new redesign was done in 2010 first year bugs are 2010 cars. 2015 is slightly adjusted and tweaked 2010 thats all. Any bug would be a completely new major feature such as DI engine - or auto lift gate both of which have never been offered on the 2010 platform which the 2015 sits on.

Slight sheet metal tweaking and different color options maybe memory seats etc is not a new model its a very slightly updated / tweaked model.

The next all new OB will probably not happen till 2020 after all the 2009 outback was the same platform the 2001 Outback sat on the 09 simply was the product of many years of minor revisions and tweaks.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
1,706 Posts
Quite true, but we still know that the 2005 models had quite a few more 'issues' than the outgoing 2004 vehicles, especially in the area of electronics. The HVAC systems earned the nickname of "HAL" for their tendency to go AWOL, among other problems that vexed dealer service for a while.

Typically, year #1 is rough, and there are hundreds of little running changes in the factory as issues get sorted out. Only once have I ever purchased a vehicle built in the first 3 months of brand new production, and I'll never make that mistake again!

In year #2, it's common for manufacturers to even dump problematic suppliers and redesign simple parts that show up on repair claims (top 5 paredo hits).

The sweet spot for most vehicles seems to be year #3/4 (of a 5 year cycle), when all the early failure data is thoroughly crunched, and the fixes are in place. That's typically when you get the 'refresh' with some new styling, electronics upgrades, repackaged options, etc.

The final year is typically smooth, as long as the accountants don't start messing with the tried-&-true supplier base. Final year vehicles often offer the best bang for the buck if you are a long term investor. The buying public knows the offering is getting stale, so mfgrs often package in things that were formerly options to help clear the parts inventory, and keep demand high. The switchover to the new model comes early in the season, so the final year production run is shorter by a few months.

The very final vehicles produced can sometimes be oddballs, depending on parts availability. You might really get extra stuff, or something could be missing.

·
Registered
Ordered a 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
9 Posts
The final year is typically smooth, as long as the accountants don't start messing with the tried-&-true supplier base. Final year vehicles often offer the best bang for the buck if you are a long term investor. The buying public knows the offering is getting stale, so mfgrs often package in things that were formerly options to help clear the parts inventory, and keep demand high. The switchover to the new model comes early in the season, so the final year production run is shorter by a few months.
Very good points! Just to share some perspective, I just saw a 2014 2.5i Premium with the moonroof + auto-dimming rearview mirror + rear camera + display audio + a couple other smaller accessories at my local Fremont Costco for $26K, which was well below the invoice price.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT, 2015 3.6R Ltd (sold)
951 Posts
Ground up all new redesign was done in 2010 first year bugs are 2010 cars. 2015 is slightly adjusted and tweaked 2010 thats all. ...
The 2015 Legacy and Outback are on a new global platform that shares very little with the old car other than its general dimensions. The fact that the 2015 will be similar in size to the outgoing 2014 may lead to the conclusion that this will just be a tweaked version of the existing car. But it's not; the 2015 is a significant redesign.

Subaru builds the Outback in the US and sold more than 130,000 of them last year in the US and Canada. There probably won't be any long term 2015 Outback or 2015 Legacy supply problems. I agree with the others who have said that you should be able to continue to buy these cars for VIP-ish prices.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The 2015 Legacy and Outback are on a new global platform that shares very little with the old car other than its general dimensions. The fact that the 2015 will be similar in size to the outgoing 2014 may lead to the conclusion that this will just be a tweaked version of the existing car. But it's not; the 2015 is a significant redesign.

Subaru builds the Outback in the US and sold more than 130,000 of them last year in the US and Canada. There probably won't be any long term 2015 Outback or 2015 Legacy supply problems. I agree with the others who have said that you should be able to continue to buy these cars for VIP-ish prices.
What platform would this be? All of Subarus models sit on Global platforms Subaru is tiny and does not have the financial or other wise capability to offer multiple platforms todays Subarus all sit on platforms which in Subaru design and business are brand new! They only have three global platforms today the Legacy, BRZ and the Impreza which are all brand new compared to the 10+yr old platforms they just replaced.

Where exactly are you reading they have some new magical global platform?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts