Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, so I'll have to get some pictures up later. But I'm bracing for the worst. Yesterday the outback slid, hit a bank and flipped over. As far as I know right now the engine is fine and there's just body damage. Besides this I also have about $2k in parts lying around that I was going to put on the Outback so I'd rather not let this all go to waste.

So am looking to see what a good price for a good condition body, with a blown engine, or engine completely removed should be around. Hopefully with 140k or less miles on the body and no rust.

It would be nice to have it in White/Silver/Black/Blue/Red in preferred order. I could do the two-tone thing again though it wasn't my favorite anyway. I will be searching the local craigslist and talking to the guy who buys up every Subaru near me. So let me know what you think...

EDIT: Oh yes, so I'm going to be having a small budget most likely. I plan to swap over the engine and transmission into the other outback. Which is why I am specifically looking for ones with bad engines etc. but good bodies.

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
825 Posts
Wow, I hope everyone is OK.

My friend bought an 05 for $2750 , good condition. 130k miles or so. They thought the engine was going to be shot based on turbo blowing up but looks like the intercooler caught the pieces lol. He put on a new turbo and everything is good so far (although I don't think he's done an oil analysis yet). IT did end up needing a new clutch and wheel bearing.

I seem to see plenty that "need nothing" for 6-7k on craigslist fairly often. I assume something for a couple thousand would pop up pretty quickly on a turbo car this old though.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
PMP autogroup in eastern PA deals in wrecks / parts. ...specializing in buying and parting out turbo subarus....although they have others too. (or so I have read here).
@rasterman might have another suggestion.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I hope everyone is OK.

My friend bought an 05 for $2750 , good condition. 130k miles or so. They thought the engine was going to be shot based on turbo blowing up but looks like the intercooler caught the pieces lol. He put on a new turbo and everything is good so far (although I don't think he's done an oil analysis yet). IT did end up needing a new clutch and wheel bearing.

I seem to see plenty that "need nothing" for 6-7k on craigslist fairly often. I assume something for a couple thousand would pop up pretty quickly on a turbo car this old though.
Yup, luckily only I was involved and am okay :)

PMP autogroup in eastern PA deals in wrecks / parts. ...specializing in buying and parting out turbo subarus....although they have others too. (or so I have read here).

@rasterman might have another suggestion.
Will have to look them up, will probably be worth it.

I guess I should've mentioned to that I am planning on swapping the engine and transmission over as long as they are actually okay after the wreck. Also assuming what I buy is lacking one or both of those and they aren't in better condition.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts
Yup, luckily only I was involved and am okay :)

Will have to look them up, will probably be worth it.

I guess I should've mentioned to that I am planning on swapping the engine and transmission over as long as they are actually okay after the wreck. Also assuming what I buy is lacking one or both of those and they aren't in better condition.
@traildogck might have a recommendation if you are trying to use 100% of what you got, (and if that limits you to 2005 or 2006, XT / LGT).

on price, these type threads pop up occasionally particularly for turbo cars, if you search and read backwards for a few months to a year in the 2005-2009 section you might hit one.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,253 Posts
I see them out here once a month at least.

Some nice looking cars. But this is the land of XTs. They are all over.

The retail on a new motor put in my someone is $8K. Do the math. A shell isn't worth much...there are no bargain motors. Mint condition and low miles these cars are worth $10K at best.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that @traildogck

Also going to post this in here.

So there's no point in me keeping the car if the engine is shot, I know when it flipped all of the oil was lost (I promise I'll get pictures up soon).

I am going to assume the plugs are probably flooded, so I doubt the car will start. But if I had new oil, it should try to crank right? Is there anything I should be looking for to tell if it is shot before I try to crank the engine?

I also don't think it would be wise for me to try and change the plugs in what is basically going to be a junkyard. Was planning on doing that for the first time next week...

If the engine is still good then yes I'll take the car back, find a worthy swapper and do it all myself with a friend most likely. If it's the same XT shell it'd be even easier as I wouldn't have to change the computer or anything else around. Just drop and go pretty much.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,796 Posts
I am going to assume the plugs are probably flooded, so I doubt the car will start. But if I had new oil, it should try to crank right? Is there anything I should be looking for to tell if it is shot before I try to crank the engine?
If you are not sure if any fluids got into the cylinders, you should remove the plugs and rotate the engine a couple of revolutions by hand. This will assure that you don't have a hydraulic lock in one or more cylinders, which could cause damage to a crankshaft or connecting rod if it was electrically cranked and it hit that cylinder on a compression stroke.

It's unlikely that this happened just from being inverted, but you said you didn't know where the oil went. So this is just a cheap, easy precaution.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT limited
384 Posts
Gabessdps - keep your eyes on cars.com and those sites. I have found some XT's popping up and for way less than 8k. If you aren't fussy on miles you can even find some good ones around PA - I found two about a month ago in PA but those disappeared quickly. Just a thought. I might also suggest looking on ebay at the JDM dealers up in Canada for parts. They seem to get the whole part out.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are not sure if any fluids got into the cylinders, you should remove the plugs and rotate the engine a couple of revolutions by hand. This will assure that you don't have a hydraulic lock in one or more cylinders, which could cause damage to a crankshaft or connecting rod if it was electrically cranked and it hit that cylinder on a compression stroke.

It's unlikely that this happened just from being inverted, but you said you didn't know where the oil went. So this is just a cheap, easy precaution.
Posting pics below, I know the oil went out of the car, probably all of it to be honest but yeah just not sure where from.

But...hmmm. I guess I am thinking about it, if the engine was perfectly fine, once it is all out I should probably be doing a lot of maintenance while it is out and doing new gaskets all around anyway even though it had that about 40k miles ago.

Also, I think I mentioned I never got around to the spark plugs on this yet. Are they actually that easy to get to, and will I be able to hand crank without removing any other parts from the engine bay?

Gabessdps - keep your eyes on cars.com and those sites. I have found some XT's popping up and for way less than 8k. If you aren't fussy on miles you can even find some good ones around PA - I found two about a month ago in PA but those disappeared quickly. Just a thought. I might also suggest looking on ebay at the JDM dealers up in Canada for parts. They seem to get the whole part out.
Yup my eyes are peeled :3 just not sure if I'm in a good enough situation to start fresh.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pics of the flip:

They basically refused to flip it over beforehand, even though they brought the other tow truck to actually flip it over with. If I was ever in this situation again I'd call another tow company.

Roof didn't crush in at all it seems, doors all opened and closed just fine. So basically once I went up the drivers side hit a little before it settled down completely upside down. I think I also slid about 4-6 ft. or so.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts
Pics of the flip:
They basically refused to flip it over beforehand, even though they brought the other tow truck to actually flip it over with. If I was ever in this situation again I'd call another tow company.

Roof didn't crush in at all it seems, doors all opened and closed just fine. So basically once I went up the drivers side hit a little before it settled down completely upside down. I think I also slid about 4-6 ft. or so.
I have seen flips like that and talked to tow drivers,
...sometimes the goal is to just get the thing off the road, up on the truck, and get everyone out of the road as fast as possible so no one gets run down in a 2nd wreck.
(although it was not, imagine if the road was icy, and you were standing in the ditch there while they are towing that up on the bed, and the cars passing by are fishtailing)

and in the long run for you: the more they flip it on the road, the more they hurt it anyway,
...like dinging/ scratching/ gouging a perfectly good panel or trim piece that you could use on a prospective different car.

that, and not all of them are the sharpest knives in the drawer,...and hopefully they know that, enough not to try and fail at things, only wasting half a hour trying.

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
....I never got around to the spark plugs on this yet. Are they actually that easy to get to, and will I be able to hand crank without removing any other parts from the engine bay?
Easy - well, it's not an inline 4 with everything exposed up top. Possible - definitely yes. I just factor in an extra half hour or so of work, most of which goes to #3 (driver's side, rear).

And given the age and mileage, I presume the plugs have been changed before - your statement that "I never got around to [it]" refers to your personal experience doing this kind of work, not that you've gone 140k on the original plugs, I hope? If not, they may be quite stuck.

No other parts need to be removed. You will need to get a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley to turn the engine over, however.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have seen flips like that and talked to tow drivers,
...sometimes the goal is to just get the thing off the road, up on the truck, and get everyone out of the road as fast as possible so no one gets run down in a 2nd wreck.
(although it was not, imagine if the road was icy, and you were standing in the ditch there while they are towing that up on the bed, and the cars passing by are fishtailing)

and in the long run for you: the more they flip it on the road, the more they hurt it anyway,
...like dinging/ scratching/ gouging a perfectly good panel or trim piece that you could use on a prospective different car.

that, and not all of them are the sharpest knives in the drawer,...and hopefully they know that, enough not to try and fail at things, only wasting half a hour trying.
Yeah, I guess it was suprising to me because they brought the other vehicle along to flip it. Maybe the circumstances weren't ideal...

Easy - well, it's not an inline 4 with everything exposed up top. Possible - definitely yes. I just factor in an extra half hour or so of work, most of which goes to #3 (driver's side, rear).

And given the age and mileage, I presume the plugs have been changed before - your statement that "I never got around to [it]" refers to your personal experience doing this kind of work, not that you've gone 140k on the original plugs, I hope. If not, they may be quite stuck.

No other parts need to be removed. You will need to get a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley to turn the engine over, however.
Lol yes I just haven't done it...they were last changed out about 30k miles ago. Any idea on what socket size the crank is? I'll make sure I have it with me. Also, to prevent firing of the vehicle while hand cranking, is it possible to just unplug the battery?

2 Other things that were pointed out to me today I am looking for answers/opinions on.

#1, the car has been upright for approx 48 hours, and more tomorrow. If anything did happen to get past the seals in the engine, shouldn't it of drained by now?

#2, a lot of cars have a fuel shut off switch that happens when cars flip like this. Does the OBXT have one and where is it so I can turn it back on when I try the engine?

And thank you for everybody who has helped in this thread!

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,253 Posts
#2, a lot of cars have a fuel shut off switch that happens when cars flip like this. Does the OBXT have one and where is it so I can turn it back on when I try the engine?

And thank you for everybody who has helped in this thread!
Well if the pump is running upside down...it will dry up quickly and there will be nothing to pump. I don't care how full the tank is. And I do think the fuel pump controller will tie up the line anyway.

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
Any idea on what socket size the crank is? I'll make sure I have it with me.
Service manual doesn't say, but Google says 22 mm.

Also, to prevent firing of the vehicle while hand cranking, is it possible to just unplug the battery?
Not necessary, unless you're really paranoid. Just keep the key out of the ignition. If this were a problem, car thieves would have a field day.

....the car has been upright for approx 48 hours, and more tomorrow. If anything did happen to get past the seals in the engine, shouldn't it of drained by now?
I really don't think you have any issues, but pulling the plugs and turning it over by hand a couple revolutions is very easy, and if it passes that test, you're good to go - which is why I suggested it.

...a lot of cars have a fuel shut off switch that happens when cars flip like this. Does the OBXT have one...
No.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@traildogck

@johnre

Alright then, pretty much sums up all of my worries and questions then. Will report back tonight how it went. Thank you so much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts