Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do to the pandemic, chip shortages, chain supplies bottle necks, inflation on the US dollar, blah blah blah what has been your purchasing experience?

Worked out a deal with a salesman over the phone to reserve a 2022 Outback Wilderness.

He said he’s only going to receive 11 and they all been accounted for. He also stated that they had a $5000 mark up. I told him that I was very serious and would pay for the vehicle out right and not have to deal with any financing or crazy paperwork. I let him know straight from jump I would not pay one red cent more than MSRP. He called me back later on that evening and said that he was able to reserve it for me.

He stated I would have 48 hours from the time that he calls me to except delivery on the vehicle.

The sales manager calls me the day before the vehicle was supposed to arrive to the dealership stating if I don’t get to the dealership as soon as possible he has the vehicle sold. I let him know the agreement the salesman and I had. He told me that that went out the window as soon as the vehicle came in. He stated that I was lucky to get it for MSRP and that everyone had a mark up on that vehicle at this time.

Rode my bike 11 miles to the dealership and started the process but it was too late to get the cashiers checks so I had to return the next day.

Finally went to pick up the vehicle the next day to find out that they put holes on the front bumper when I told him not to put the dealership license plate advertisement on the bumper. Unbelievable a simple request.

From the time the sales manager called me to the time that I picked up the vehicle the next day
it was less than 24 hours.

Please give me your feedback I hope to get a better story than mine!

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,385 Posts
You can live with the holes! Go for it and be happy as you should be to have a nice new vehicle.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,585 Posts
I ordered by 2022 Touring XT in May 2021, received it in June. I used the VIP discount (invoice-2%) and the $500 buyers loyalty coupon from Subaru. Also, my dealer matched Carmax's price for my 2017 Limited which was a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm not in the market for a new vehicle and I'm sure glad for that. Out of curiosity I checked websites of the larger dealerships in my state , plus some megadealers like Liberty in NJ and Grand in IL. The lack of inventory is astounding! Much more severe than 14 months ago when I bought my '20 Ltd XT, when I was able to negotiate a price about 10% below MSRP on a vehicle "in-transit" to a dealer.

Common sense dictates that supply-and-demand economic principles will apply, and there is little room for negotiation and discounting in the current environment.

Anyone who does not absolutely need a replacement vehicle would do well to resign themselves to waiting until the supply lines refill if they want anything approaching a a significant discount. My guess is that might take a year or more. Risk of waiting is that inflation will take hold by then, boosting base pricing, and that is a real risk. Still, my guess would be that a new vehicle will be cheaper a year from now rather than today.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I found mine sitting on the lot 3 months ago. I had a TRD Pro 4 Runner to trade. They gave me $4K more than I paid for it. I paid more than MSRP since they had added LP7's and Falken Trails. They rubbed horrible. Had them melt the fender a little to rub less. Then decided I wanted the AT3's in 235's so I could have a spare. Well this 235's look different than 245's since they are an OE tire. Then I made them get me 245's and they look and perform awesome with no rubbing. After 3 trips to dealer, I now have the tires I wanted, but don't have a matching spare. Overall I was ok with the deal. I don't love the CVT, but it was never going to be a forever car. As far as the bumper holes just put the black screws back in and it looks like sensors.

Car Vehicle registration plate Sky Wheel Tire

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT in Autumn Green Metallic
10 Posts
Visited a dealer August 16 to test drive an Onyx. Decided that I wanted a Touring XT. They had one in transit and I put a $500 deposit on it and agreed to pay MSRP. My salesman texted me September 3 at 8:30 to tell me it had arrived. I got dropped off at the dealership at 10 and was driving home at 11. A week before, I sold my old car to Carvana for an very inflated price so even with losing the tax savings by not trading, I came out about even or a little ahead than I would in normal times.

This car buying process was super easy and honestly if the Carvana price hadn’t been so inflated, I wouldn’t have done it, so the pandemic led to this purchase in a way. I also got the last available Touring XT of the fall from this dealer (the layer allotments have deposits on them) so I feel super lucky.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Visited a dealer August 16 to test drive an Onyx. Decided that I wanted a Touring XT. They had one in transit and I put a $500 deposit on it and agreed to pay MSRP. My salesman texted me September 3 at 8:30 to tell me it had arrived. I got dropped off at the dealership at 10 and was driving home at 11. A week before, I sold my old car to Carvana for an very inflated price so even with losing the tax savings by not trading, I came out about even or a little ahead than I would in normal times.

This car buying process was super easy and honestly if the Carvana price hadn’t been so inflated, I wouldn’t have done it, so the pandemic led to this purchase in a way. I also got the last available Touring XT of the fall from this dealer (the layer allotments have deposits on them) so I feel super lucky.
The only reason I sold the 4 Runner was because of the inflated price as well. I was able to trade it and get the $3K in tax savings. I wish I still had more 4 Runner, but I needed to reduce my expenses and I was able to do that with the Outback.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
383 Posts
I purchased on March 18th. Subaru Lafayette's first shortage related shutdown was March 25th. The lot was full of cars and I got my 2021 Touring XT. I paid dealer invoice for my car. My trade-in was valued in line with KBB trade-in and what I expected from the market based on forum posts for that car. I also pulled mods off my trade-in and made another 4K selling parts. I was planning to pay in full for the Outback, but given potential for inflation and 0% interest for 63 months, I opted to finance (better to pay them back in devalued dollars).

I recognize that my experience is not really one being asked about in this thread, but I think it is relevant. I am pointing it out for a few reasons...
1. There were cars on the lot prior to late March. When I purchased, the dealer had 10 or so Outbacks on the lot. A few weeks later, they had none, but a few available that were in transit). Dates for when stock will return to dealers keeps getting pushed back. I have no proof (the data exists, but I have not looked at it), but I expect demand from people worried they will not be able to get a car will slow the return to normal.
2. Trade values have gone up. I got a decent trade amount, but would get more in the current market. Noting that this would be offset by a higher price of the new vehicle. Rather you win or lose on this depends on what you are trading and the price on your purchase.
3. Financing incentives are not as good as they were then for those that are choosing to finance. This adds to the cost of purchasing for those using financing to purchase. I expect similar is true for lease incentives.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,834 Posts
I was kind of middle of the road between getting a good discount and paying MSRP. I paid about $1500 less than MSRP for my Premium. I talked to someone at the dealership May 1 and determined there was a vehicle on order that was the color combo I wanted in the trim level I was looking for. I went and talked to my salesman a week later, we agreed to a price on that and value on my trade in. No money exchanged hands. Estimated arrival of the vehicle was June 10. The weekend of May 22 I was on the dealer's site and saw the car matching the VIN I had talked to my salesman about in their inventory. May 27 I was there signing papers and driving off.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
483 Posts
I looked at all the dealers within 50 miles. At the time (early May, 2021) there was a fairly good selection of Outbacks, but only one Onyx XT. I printed out the webpage, my wife and I drove the two vehicles (truck and car) we were trading in and drove to the dealer and got there just as they opened At 9:00. I showed the salesmen the print out, test drove it while they appraised our trade ins. I had a figure of what I wanted the delta to be based on the KBB of our trade ins. They offered $5,000 more. The Onyx was at MSRP, which I assumed, given that it was the only one within 50 miles. We were on our way home with our first Subaru by 1100 am.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I purchased on March 18th. Subaru Lafayette's first shortage related shutdown was March 25th. The lot was full of cars and I got my 2021 Touring XT. I paid dealer invoice for my car. My trade-in was valued in line with KBB trade-in and what I expected from the market based on forum posts for that car. I also pulled mods off my trade-in and made another 4K selling parts. I was planning to pay in full for the Outback, but given potential for inflation and 0% interest for 63 months, I opted to finance (better to pay them back in devalued dollars).

I recognize that my experience is not really one being asked about in this thread, but I think it is relevant. I am pointing it out for a few reasons...
1. There were cars on the lot prior to late March. When I purchased, the dealer had 10 or so Outbacks on the lot. A few weeks later, they had none, but a few available that were in transit). Dates for when stock will return to dealers keeps getting pushed back. I have no proof (the data exists, but I have not looked at it), but I expect demand from people worried they will not be able to get a car will slow the return to normal.
2. Trade values have gone up. I got a decent trade amount, but would get more in the current market. Noting that this would be offset by a higher price of the new vehicle. Rather you win or lose on this depends on what you are trading and the price on your purchase.
3. Financing incentives are not as good as they were then for those that are choosing to finance. This adds to the cost of purchasing for those using financing to purchase. I expect similar is true for lease incentives.
Your experience is valid, your vehicle was purchased during the COVID-19 pandemic, thank you for your input.

Reactions: TS13FST

·
Registered
2021 Crystal White Onyx XT
76 Posts
Purchased my Onyx on 5/16 out of dealer stock (which included a total of 2 OBs). Paid about 6.5% under MSRP. At the time I felt so so about that deal. Now counting my lucky stars I jumped when I did.

Central FL

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Last April I was looking for a '21 Touring XT. Kept checking my nearest dealers' websites. Saw two with the "in transit" icon so I called. The day they came off the truck in May, I test the drove one I wanted and did the paperwork that day. The price was right around $40k, which is exactly what I expected.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx - Magnetite Gray
14 Posts
Purchased January 2021, Onyx XT with moonroof pkg and preffered pkg 2. Mid-pandemic, but before the chip shortage hit hard. 0% financing for 63mo, no trade in, bought at invoice ($36k w/packages I think) roughly 7% below MSRP. Seemed like a mediocre deal at the time, but I wanted to support our local dealer as we live in a fairly remote area and they give great service. Glad we bought when we did and glad we fully financed under 0% considering general inflation and car price inflation.

Deal was easy. Test drove OB Onyx and an Ascent then did some research. Came back in the next day, 15 minutes of price negotiation starting at invoice minus $1k. Ended up at invoice then about 2 hrs paperwork etc and we were out.

·
Registered
2022 outback wilderness
19 Posts
Went to a dealer at the end of June to decide if a Subaru was right for us and also to decide between Ascent and Outback as well as which trim. We had no intentions of purchasing until August and told the salesman that our schedules happened to be free that day and we were using this time to narrow down our choices so we had a better idea of what we wanted come August.
We were able to narrow it down to an Outback Wilderness. The dealer had 3, but were loaded with accessories we didn’t care to pay for as well as none being in our top three color choice. The salesman kept trying to make a sale that day, even though I explained several times that while we were going to buy, just not until August due to our budget. I told him that I didn’t see what we wanting currently on the lot and said we were in a position to wait several months for a possible dealer trade or for one to be ordered for us. I don’t fault him for trying to close, but was amazed when he told me that, “Nobody really special orders cars any more” and added that he was only aware of that happening one or two times in his fifteen year career. He also added that the color wasn’t a big deal. I explained that if I was to spend that much money, I want to be happy with what I get and didn’t want to pay several thousand more for things we don’t need. When we wouldn’t budge on buying one off the lot that day, the salesman basically shut down and seemed to not put forth an effort to talk to us.
About a week before August, I sent out an email to the salesman with a list of what options and factory add-ons we were looking for. I explained that I realized with the current environment, it may be difficult to trade another dealer and once again said I would be willing to place an order and wait. Mind you, the salesman had never followed up from our last visit so I wasn’t surprised when he never replied to my email.
I waited almost a week to hear back, but ultimately found another dealer a couple hours away that had pretty much what I was looking for already in transit. They, Dahl Subaru in La Crosse WI, were pleasant to deal with and most everything was handled over the phone. From sending a request for info on the car until I got a call was maybe 5 minutes. A couple hours later (due to me waiting to make a final decision) I had a deposit made.
The car was supposed to arrive at the end of August, but showed up a week early. We will be in the market to replace another vehicle in a couple years and definitely will not waste my time with the first dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my 22 Limited XT at the end of July - stock was super low everywhere but it was a dealer trade they had just gotten in & happened to be exactly what I was looking for.

Discounted only $750 below MSRP but the amount I got for my trade was insane, made up way more there than I'd ever have gotten discounted on a new Subaru during "normal" times. That extra $6-7k was why I went ahead & made the deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
July of this year.
Fiance and I went to go look at the Subaru Outbacks and Toyota RAV4s. There were no RAV4s in stock so we went to a Subaru dealer nearby. They had several Outbacks and Foresters in stock, but all were marked up. I was settled on the Outback XTs and test drove an Onyx XT and they had a 4-5k markup.
By luck, Carmax had a Outback Touring XT with only 1.4k miles on it and not a ding or scratch on it. I paid only couple less than new MSRP. The way it's going now, it feels like a steal. Kind of sad.
My only regret was not having the space to keep around my old car, it was a blast to drive that, but it doesn't have room for much.
Also, some part of me would prefer a hybrid like the RAV4 I was looking at when cross shopping. If this shortage last any longer, I may order one and loose next to nothing selling the Outback. Haha, kind of a weird thought, but we'll see.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Purchased my Onyx on 5/16 out of dealer stock (which included a total of 2 OBs). Paid about 6.5% under MSRP. At the time I felt so so about that deal. Now counting my lucky stars I jumped when I did.

Central FL
That is a great deal considering the pandemic and the shortage of vehicles.

Reactions: mde8965

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Purchased January 2021, Onyx XT with moonroof pkg and preffered pkg 2. Mid-pandemic, but before the chip shortage hit hard. 0% financing for 63mo, no trade in, bought at invoice ($36k w/packages I think) roughly 7% below MSRP. Seemed like a mediocre deal at the time, but I wanted to support our local dealer as we live in a fairly remote area and they give great service. Glad we bought when we did and glad we fully financed under 0% considering general inflation and car price inflation.

Deal was easy. Test drove OB Onyx and an Ascent then did some research. Came back in the next day, 15 minutes of price negotiation starting at invoice minus $1k. Ended up at invoice then about 2 hrs paperwork etc and we were out.
That is an excellent deal!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts