Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
72 Posts
I was worried that semi shortage was coming for new-car supply, and bought a '21 in March. I suspect anyone shopping for a car now is going to have a different experience than back then.

Although plenty of dealers are badly behaved right now, an upstanding dealer will at least be straight with you in his quest to make money out of a limited number of cars to sell. They should give you a real idea about availability, how you can reserve a car, what the price will be, etc. If they have a time limit on how long they can hold a car on the lot, they will tell you that and stick to it.

If they do the thing where the two days becomes an exploding deadline once the car in, tell them how bad of a person they're acting like, you're not gonna consider giving them any money, and how many people you're gonna tell about it. Then do those things.

I realize not everyone has more than 1 dealer within driving distance; but there's ways to be ethical even in the face of hard business realities. Don't reward bad behavior.

For me, in March, there were some shortages yes. I had to do some virtual legwork contacting dealers. All the prices were competitive though not perfectly. Not everyone was quality: one "accidentally" quoted me the wrong price to see if I'd bite at $3000 over. One was legitimately hardworking and was super flexible to get the perfect car on the lot if I wanted it, and cheapest; sadly they were a bit too far away to want to save the $250. His reward was just my email to his manager telling her how great an employee he was.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
72 Posts
I'm also gonna echo the people who said: The (bad) choice right now is between paying prices over MSRP vs risking that next year's MSRP will be higher if you wait. Not much different than buying a house right now, right? :)

The shortages will go away eventually and lots will be full again, but will that be in three months? Doubt it. Seeing dealers sell over sticker, there's no way the OEMs won't grab a bit of the margin through MSRP, because they have their own inflation to deal with. The only thing getting the prices down will be if there's enough supply for the demand (across all the brands) and then people are able to negotiate deals again. Or, I suppose, if available credit financing dries up - that could do it.

There's definitely dealers out there charging many $K over sticker, but if you need a car and you can get it at or relatively close to sticker, feels like better than waiting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do to the pandemic, chip shortages, chain supplies bottle necks, inflation on the US dollar, blah blah blah what has been your purchasing experience?

Worked out a deal with a salesman over the phone to reserve a 2022 Outback Wilderness.

He said he’s only going to receive 11 and they all been accounted for. He also stated that they had a $5000 mark up. I told him that I was very serious and would pay for the vehicle out right and not have to deal with any financing or crazy paperwork. I let him know straight from jump I would not pay one red cent more than MSRP. He called me back later on that evening and said that he was able to reserve it for me.

He stated I would have 48 hours from the time that he calls me to except delivery on the vehicle.

The sales manager calls me the day before the vehicle was supposed to arrive to the dealership stating if I don’t get to the dealership as soon as possible he has the vehicle sold. I let him know the agreement the salesman and I had. He told me that that went out the window as soon as the vehicle came in. He stated that I was lucky to get it for MSRP and that everyone had a mark up on that vehicle at this time.

Rode my bike 11 miles to the dealership and started the process but it was too late to get the cashiers checks so I had to return the next day.

Finally went to pick up the vehicle the next day to find out that they put holes on the front bumper when I told him not to put the dealership license plate advertisement on the bumper. Unbelievable a simple request.

From the time the sales manager called me to the time that I picked up the vehicle the next day
it was less than 24 hours.

Please give me your feedback I hope to get a better story than mine!
Do you mind sharing what dealership this was? I just put a deposit on an OBW and am also in the PDX area. I had a bad experience with one local(ish) dealership and so far have had a great experience with the one that I ended up purchasing through. Just want to see if this is something I’ll need to be ready for. (Especially the holes lol)

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
35 Posts
I call up all dealers within my driving distance to check inventory. The following 5 days, dealerships took turn returning my phone call, offering me "light markup". Some even gone as far as offering me "a reasonable 12K markup only":mad:. It's insane. All the Outback Wilderness in the Bay Area, CA are all marked up at a minimum of $5K, and they're all sold out within 2 days they arrive dealer lot. So they don't even need to negotiate with you; somebody out there, dying to be the first one on the block to have one (weird people), will pay for that markup. (n)
I mean, come on man, it's just a Subaru!! LoL

Lucky for me, I dig deep into the East Valley Desert of California, some guy backed out on his order, so they offered me that one with zero markup. They even offered me the tow hitch with free installation. From the minute I left my house to the min I parked the new Outback in the garage is 4 hrs (mainly sitting through traffic and eat dinner on the way). Their other Wilderness were sold within 1hr in the showroom.

Now, I'm only kicking myself over for not able to negotiate under MSRP. But given the chip shortage and covid, I think MSRP is fair. Not as fair as I would like, but at least I am not being ripped off, and I don't have to wait until next year :LOL:.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

My biggest gripe is they made 2 holes on my front bumper (stupid front license), and their technician installed my tow hitch so UGLY, I can see the gap around the fascia cover :ROFLMAO:. Not deal breaker, at least the ugly tow hitch fascia is my conversation starter now. haha

they put holes on the front bumper when I told him not to put
Most dealers are locked in on our wallet and always ignore this request. When I got my STI, I made a hard request that if they drill my front bumper, I will not pickup the car. That was the only car I could get without the nasty taping screws. Now my Outback has been drilled from the moment they dropped it off from trailer. not a deal breaker, but pretty annoying.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Do you mind sharing what dealership this was? I just put a deposit on an OBW and am also in the PDX area. I had a bad experience with one local(ish) dealership and so far have had a great experience with the one that I ended up purchasing through. Just want to see if this is something I’ll need to be ready for. (Especially the holes lol)
Not to name names but it is S.O.P.

·
Registered
2021 Abyss Blue Onyx XT
22 Posts
I bought before things got really crazy back in the end of March. Chip shortage was a thing but not as impactful as today. So dealerships were willing to go under MSRP (got about $4,700 off MSRP).

My Dealership experience was fairly positive and straightforward.
  • I negotiated via email (took about 2 weeks) & went in only for test drive.
  • I waiting a week for my specific vehicle to come in, and had the vehicle delivered to my house along with the paperwork. So didn't have to go back to the dealership to buy.
  • They didn't try to sell me on any extra's so entire process was very simple and straightforward. I had told them ahead of time i wasn't interested in any extra's.

I had sold my 2020 4runner to Carvana the week before for over $1k more than i paid for it back in 2019 so feel like i got the best of both worlds. All in all, i think i got very lucky with the sale of my 4runner and the purchase of my outback.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
72 Posts
If you pay over MSRP you better get GAP insurance because this car will plummet in value when the market crashes. This car is definitely not worth the markup.
That's a good point overall. I wonder it gap insurance prices have adjusted upwards. No idea.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
385 Posts
If you do buy GAP, price it through your car insurance provider. While I am not an insurance agent, I price insurance before buying a car and my agent always reminds me that it is likely cheaper as an add on to my car insurance. I have never priced it as I have never needed it. However, I assume the agent is correct due to dealer marks ups and reduced costs when combining insurance through one provider.

Your mileage may vary, but you already have to call your insurance company to get things set up so you might as well ask about GAP pricing while you are at it.

Reactions: DogCars

·
Registered
2021 Onyx - Magnetite Gray
14 Posts
I call up all dealers within my driving distance to check inventory. The following 5 days, dealerships took turn returning my phone call, offering me "light markup". Some even gone as far as offering me "a reasonable 12K markup only":mad:. It's insane. All the Outback Wilderness in the Bay Area, CA are all marked up at a minimum of $5K, and they're all sold out within 2 days they arrive dealer lot. So they don't even need to negotiate with you; somebody out there, dying to be the first one on the block to have one (weird people), will pay for that markup. (n)
I mean, come on man, it's just a Subaru!! LoL

Lucky for me, I dig deep into the East Valley Desert of California, some guy backed out on his order, so they offered me that one with zero markup. They even offered me the tow hitch with free installation. From the minute I left my house to the min I parked the new Outback in the garage is 4 hrs (mainly sitting through traffic and eat dinner on the way). Their other Wilderness were sold within 1hr in the showroom.

Now, I'm only kicking myself over for not able to negotiate under MSRP. But given the chip shortage and covid, I think MSRP is fair. Not as fair as I would like, but at least I am not being ripped off, and I don't have to wait until next year :LOL:.

View attachment 522160

My biggest gripe is they made 2 holes on my front bumper (stupid front license), and their technician installed my tow hitch so UGLY, I can see the gap around the fascia cover :ROFLMAO:. Not deal breaker, at least the ugly tow hitch fascia is my conversation starter now. haha

Most dealers are locked in on our wallet and always ignore this request. When I got my STI, I made a hard request that if they drill my front bumper, I will not pickup the car. That was the only car I could get without the nasty taping screws. Now my Outback has been drilled from the moment they dropped it off from trailer. not a deal breaker, but pretty annoying.
FWIW, the same dealer I got mine from at invoice is now charging MSRP, firm. They won't even take VIP pricing. Now is just a hard time to buy a car.

·
Registered
2020 Defender
404 Posts
FWIW, the same dealer I got mine from at invoice is now charging MSRP, firm. They won't even take VIP pricing. Now is just a hard time to buy a car.
Ford dealers in my area are no longer honoring X plan discounts for families / friends of employees. One local dealer had the nerve putting a 10k markup on F-150s. Found another dealer that is only doing MSRP for F-150s.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
385 Posts
Ford dealers in my area are no longer honoring X plan discounts for families / friends of employees. One local dealer had the nerve putting a 10k markup on F-150s. Found another dealer that is only doing MSRP for F-150s.
10K is nothing. I saw a few local Ford dealers with Broncos marked up to more than double their sticker price a few months back. I get that they are hard to come by right now, but 75K-100K for a Bronco is a bit much (and I saw both of those numbers on dealer lots).

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
504 Posts
I'm in the market for a 2022 Touring. I could wait till things return to normal but have no confidence that will happen within the next year. In the Seattle area the lots are truly devoid of 2022 Outbacks, many dealer have none. Late model Gen 6s are selling within 1-2K of MSRP.

I'm currently getting "bids" from 6 dealers in the Seattle area for a factory ordered loaded Touring. So far the response has been fairly good. No one is marking up beyond MSRP, only one has offered below MSRP ( just $350). Delivery would be sometime in Dec (possibly later). So there is not a significant price differential. The conundrum will be that they potentially have me over the barrel with trade value. Once I agree to order it from one of the dealers, they will be my only "option". Of course I could sell to CarMax or Carvana, but in doing so would have to pay any extra 10% sales tax on the new car due to lost trade value. That amounts to about $2,100. So other buyers would have to offer at least $2,100 over the dealer to make a separate sale worth the hassle.

I don't expect any miracle advice, but if you have some better ideas besides waiting for the market to return to "normal", I'm all ears.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
385 Posts
I'm in the market for a 2022 Touring. I could wait till things return to normal but have no confidence that will happen within the next year. In the Seattle area the lots are truly devoid of 2022 Outbacks, many dealer have none. Late model Gen 6s are selling within 1-2K of MSRP.

I'm currently getting "bids" from 6 dealers in the Seattle area for a factory ordered loaded Touring. So far the response has been fairly good. No one is marking up beyond MSRP, only one has offered below MSRP ( just $350). Delivery would be sometime in Dec (possibly later). So there is not a significant price differential. The conundrum will be that they potentially have me over the barrel with trade value. Once I agree to order it from one of the dealers, they will be my only "option". Of course I could sell to CarMax or Carvana, but in doing so would have to pay any extra 10% sales tax on the new car due to lost trade value. That amounts to about $2,100. So other buyers would have to offer at least $2,100 over the dealer to make a separate sale worth the hassle.

I don't expect any miracle advice, but if you have some better ideas besides waiting for the market to return to "normal", I'm all ears.
You could see if any dealers are honoring Subaru VIP partner program pricing. I have read a sufficiently large donation to ASPCA gets you quick access to Subaru VIP. Seems I have read a few people still using VIP in the last year.

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
504 Posts
Oh, good suggestion. I used the VIP for my last OB purchase and had completely forgotten about that. I'll surely ask that! Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
35 Posts
charging MSRP, firm
I would really love to buy at invoice, but given the current situation now, I think MSRP is fair if you want the vehicle now. There are some poor guys out there with their invoice offers waiting for delayed deliveries of sometimes NEXT YEAR!!!
Before I bought mine from the lot, I asked the dealer what would it be like if I want to order and config from factory. He simply shown me the list of his customer orders were pending January delivery got their dates removed: delivery date is no longer guarantee and cannot be estimated...Some of these orders were placed since August!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
385 Posts
My dealer did in March. Costco discount was invoice.

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness with moonroof package
168 Posts
Please give me your feedback I hope to get a better story than mine!
Things are crazy out there now -- make a couple of holes in the bumper worthwhile just to get your hands on a car.

I saw ads and write-ups on the OBW, decided I had to have one, met with a sales rep at the area dealer, and locked mine in on May 3 at US$1K below MSRP. Delivery was promised for July, I drove it off the lot on June 26 -- in the middle of severe thunderstorms with torrential rain and a tornado warning for one county west, just about where we live. So it was an exciting day all around. I feel real lucky to have jumped into the market when I did, given everything that's happened since.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts