Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 VDC
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally spent the money on a primitive triple armor set from Primitive racing. I ordered it Friday afternoon just before closing and they were at my door Wednesday. After opening the package I noticed the front plate wasn't the "T" shaped Tribeca plate I've seen posted here and on Primitive's website. After bolting it up it fits perfect and the "wings" seem to offer a lot more protection for the exhaust and axles than the other plate. I emailed Paul and he says they redesigned the plate. I think they did an awesome job. The only thing I'm worried about is it hanging up if I ever have to reverse over some rocks.

Sorry for the poor cellphone pics.
-Tim

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
931 Posts
how much was it?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 VDC
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid $399 +Shipping for the set of 3 plates, there is a discount if you buy them together. The front plate alone would have been $245.

I got the rear protector installed yesterday. I'm not too impressed with how it mounts as is. It uses the original mounting studs out of the differential and uses the original nuts. As of right now 3 of the nuts are about half threaded on with the recommended 50 ft/lb or torque. The 4th nut is threaded all the way, but only because the stud came out of the differential so now the stud isn't threaded all the way in. The threads on each side of the stud are different so I'm not sure how easy it will be to find a longer stud to replace it with. I'm going to send Paul at Primitive an email and see if he has any suggestions.

Has anyone put one of the transmission protectors on a Gen 2 H6 yet? I tried to mate it up yesterday but the exhaust is in the way on the left rear corner of the transmission pan. It might fit if I remove the head shied after the cat on the Y-pipe. If not, I'll have to do some trimming.

-Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts