Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2018 Outback 3.6R, and I want to do some more upstate NY seasonally limited roads in the summer. The last one I did last year I hit bottom once and was pretty worried for a bit, but turned out to only knock the spare tire loose in the trunk. LP adventure has quality looking skid plates and also a cool looking bumper guard with extra protection, as well as a rear diff protector. But their pricing is a bit more than Primitive Racing that was recommended to me from reddit. Primitive Racing description on the rear diff protector "sounds better" but I really have no idea if it's just "marketing". The info from LP adventure isn't clear about if it is bolt on, but it does have cut outs for oil changes (I go to Monroe or whatever for changes, and I don't want to 'make it hard' for them so they 'lose the skid plate'. But I assume the holes also add to the cost and a little to the risk. I also wondered if one or the other would be easier for a "normal shop" to install?

All that said, the Primitive Racing seems like there's more parts I'd have to know to order than the LP adventure site (it looks more straight forward with LP Adventure if it actually bolts on, I have an e-mail in to them).

I'd like to get installed and then basically forget about it, and I'm not a huge automotive person. What do you all think, what have you used, and is one better than the other, or is there anything I've missed?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can't speak to the LP, but I have the Primitive Racing full kit. I don't really do anything serious with my car, but I work in the building trades and do a lot of jobsites and gravel roads. I got the thicker ones.

For what it's worth, they are bolt on. Regarding installing and forgetting about them, I don't see much reason to remove them. I never have, and I don't believe it's necessary for any of the routine maintenance. There is a hole for the oil drain plug.

As far as the extra parts, go ahead and order them. I don't use them, but they're nice to have if I needed them.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
715 Posts
Primitive is not a little cheaper it’s A LOT cheaper once you go to check out the LP kit and get the freight bill tacked on. I’m very happy with my full set of Primitve armor on my 2019.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Primitive is not a little cheaper it’s A LOT cheaper once you go to check out the LP kit and get the freight bill tacked on. I’m very happy with my full set of Primitve armor on my 2019.
Turns out you're right. Once you add the bumper and full armor to keep snow out (what's $34 for primitive though plastic) they're like 4x before freight. I ended up ordering the Primitive as I don't need to look cool for $2200 vs the protection I was looking for with Primitive for $520 or so including shipping. I mean, a large part of the difference is the rad bumper guard and metal front guards vs plastic, but the main skid plates are basically the same thing, albeit without the "rally washers" or oil drain hole. I guess I'll be watching the shops about putting the skid plate back on, for $500-$1500 I can pay the shops a little more a bunch of times for the oil changes.

EDIT: I have to wonder what about LP Adventure is worth the markup, it looks like the same thickness and same aluminium so it can't be stronger really (though primitive is 2 pieces where LP adventure is one)...

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
715 Posts
I got the 3 pc Primitive Racing set plus the plastic snow guard during Black Friday and am very happy with. Plus, who cares not like you see the armor and if you do something has gone horribly wrong.
BTW, you won’t see the plastic snow shield once installed.

As for the bull bar and side rails I really like the look of the LP but Primitive says they are working on new version of their bull bar so...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts