Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just had my 60k tune up done (diff fluid, trans fluid, brakes, power steering, coolant...) all the fluids have been changed now. The car was doing this before the tune up, but I was hopeful that this service would fix it.
When coming to a stop I can feel the car shift hard into first gear, I can watch the RPMs jump and its is quite noticeable. It is not making a noise, but the downshift is not smooth. It only happens once its warmed up, pulling out of the neighborhood in the morning has never given me the problem (cold vs hot?).
The mechanic said its common on these outbacks, but I find it hard to believe there are not more people complaining if its so common. The research I have done looks like the Tribecas have the same issue.

Please give me some feedback, I just bought this car last week and dont want to be stuck with purchasing a new trans. Thanks
2008 4spd auto with 67k on it.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
What kind of fluid was used for your AT?

It should have been Subaru ATF HP. If Dex III ATF was used, the car can display what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was Subaru HP for sure, this mechanic only works on Subarus and told me the same thing. The one thing I am wondering is if the previous owner had a non subaru mechanic do a trans service previously and used non HP ATF, now they would be mixed together. Should I do a trans flush and start with all new fluid? (the service done only drains some fluid out and replaces the difference w/ new fluid)

·
Registered
16,284 Posts
When coming to a stop I can feel the car shift hard into first gear, . . .
I can recall posts, particularly by new-to-Subaru owners, with this same concern, and wonder if this is what you're referring to. This isn't to say that what you're experiencing can't be something different, but I don't have a good sense of what your "shift hard" feels like.

As already mentioned, roughness can be one of the symptoms that might be experienced when Type HP ATF isn't used. However, the normal 2 to 1 downshift in the 4EAT is, nevertheless, noticeable. The transmission's electronic-control programming is designed to make use of engine braking and this exaggerates the downshift effect, especially with the tachometer visibly jumping up and the physically-sensed rate of deceleration increasing a notch just as the car approaches the stopping point.

I'm not saying you can't have a problem, but if you haven't driven similar Subarus before, it might be worthwhile doing so now for comparison. Then you'd have a better idea if your symptoms are different. Perhaps your mechanic would allow you to come along when test driving cars after servicing, or if there's similar Subaru's in your area, discussions, and even demonstration rides, with their owners could provide confirmation of a problem, or hopefully, peace of mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can recall posts, particularly by new-to-Subaru owners, with this same concern, and wonder if this is what you're referring to. This isn't to say that what you're experiencing can't be something different, but I don't have a good sense of what your "shift hard" feels like.

As already mentioned, roughness can be one of the symptoms that might be experienced when Type HP ATF isn't used. However, the normal 2 to 1 downshift in the 4EAT is, nevertheless, noticeable. The transmission's electronic-control programming is designed to make use of engine braking and this exaggerates the downshift effect, especially with the tachometer visibly jumping up and the physically-sensed rate of deceleration increasing a notch just as the car approaches the stopping point.

I'm not saying you can't have a problem, but if you haven't driven similar Subarus before, it might be worthwhile doing so now for comparison. Then you'd have a better idea if your symptoms are different. Perhaps your mechanic would allow you to come along when test driving cars after servicing, or if there's similar Subaru's in your area, discussions, and even demonstration rides, with their owners could provide confirmation of a problem, or hopefully, peace of mind.
Thanks! I am coming out of an xc70, which quite possibly was the worst car I have ever owned. So I am a bit weary of anything out of the ordinary. My mechanic said he doesnt see anything he would worry about and that I can expect that downshift in the 4EAT, but I wanted to reach out to other owners to see if anything has been found to cure this.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the 2.5i AT and do not notice anything like you described.

P.S. I did my own 30K mi service (except for coolant which I have not changed).

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts

Dito on the engine braking and comparison. The TCM keeps the TCC locked to assist in braking. You could be feeling the TCC unlocking which changes the rpm as there is a lapse in idle control.

If it is shifting fine up through the gears and you are not experiencing any noise or vibration, unless it is a loud hard thunking, I wouldn't be concerned with it. If there is a thunking, you may want to look into mounts, but that would be unlikely considering the mileage.

There aren't any TSB's as yet concerning this, so Subaru hasn't seen a wide range of issues. The only shift related TSB is the commonality of harsh shift in cold weather which holds 1st gear longer for warmup and this is just the way the TCM is programmed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing