Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I resently had new front rotors and pads replaced on my 2005 Outback 3.0, after driving 8 miles the driveshaft going to to the front passenger wheel came out of the hub and is just laying on the suspension. The work was done at a certified Subaru dealer with Subaru parts. My question is could the service tech have caused this problem while servicing the brakes?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,542 Posts
there's no reason a tech would need to touch the axle nut or any other part of the axle for 'just' brake work. Was a wheel bearing or other parts being serviced? What was wrong with the brakes?

doesn't mean they had a 'real' tech doing your brake work.

did the axle actually come out of the hub? where's the axle nut? Had that axle ever been serviced or replaced in the past?

at any rate - a conversation with the shop doing the brake work is definitely in order.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
take it, tow it back to the dealer and have them fix it. no way the nut came off it it was staked / crimped as it should be. this sounds like a real rookie mistake.

also have them check the other side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vibration when braking, needed new rotors and pads. I had the wheel bearings check a month earlier when the the vibration first started, they said that the brakes where causing the vibration but it was safe to drive. And yes the axle is completley out of the hub!!

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Somebody took that nut off. Even if it wasn't staked, they are on there too tight to just come loose. I don't know that I would want the same shop touching it again.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
How is the axle going to come out of the hub unless it is broken? The splines are only so long in that hub, no?

·
Registered
17,542 Posts
How is the axle going to come out of the hub unless it is broken? The splines are only so long in that hub, no?
it might happen in a sharp turn at speed, and/or WHILE hitting a bump or pothole - it would definitely take the right circumstances.

he did say 'out of the hub' so.....

One reason i asked where the axle nut was - it's not impossible for the Rzeppa joint to come apart or, as you say, some other failure to happen.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
if the axle nut was not staked, the mistake could have been made a month ago when they checked the wheel bearings. my guess is that the dealer is the only one who has worked on the car recently.

get them to fix it.

ask who did the work, this time and last time. how much experience does the technitian have.

also have them check the other side.
CRITICAL point ^^^^^^
the good news here is that the driver side will tend tighten when driven forward if the nut is not staked.

oh, one more thing, if the axle came out of the hub or even if it is just sloppy in the hub, the bearing isn't any good any more!! rolling a car with the axle nut off and weight on the wheel will kill a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I just got back from Subaru service and the axle nut and wheelbearing were still in tacted it was the end of the driveshaft and the CV joint that came apart. Did not look to me like the tech doing the brakes would have had anything to do with the failure. It looks like the snap ring that holds the drive shaft in the CV joint came off.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
man alive, sorry to hear about this utter failure of servicing. i know how frustrating this stuff can be.

regarding snap rings, they don't simply come off. someone must have initiated the ring removal, which, can then lead to a "walking" off of the snap ring.

this service center needs to replace hardware and compensate you for your previous service charges. someone could have gotten seriously injured from this carelessness.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
btw, if they don't preload the hub bearings properly, you will get premature bearing failure. take pics of the nut & cotter pin location prior to leaving their shop to document configuration. this will help you in a claim down the road should they claim you (or another shop) took the hubs apart after leaving their shop. if you can, also put some torque stripe paint/adhesive across the axle-nut joint after it's been preloaded. this stripe serves as a witness mark if the joint was cracked open.

·
Registered
17,542 Posts
crazy stuff

wonder if a BFH was used by the tech on the rotor and he hit the CV joint or ????? - meh, I dunno, just trying figure how this could happen - weird.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the dealer

I have seen a few of these axles break, most of the failures I have seen has been the drivers side front. If the Axle nut was installed and staked, it may have broken internally, the boot isn't strong enough to hold the axle together once failure occurs. Also the axle is retained by a small spring clip which under some high heat conditions, the same heat that can cause warped rotors, may in some instances cause the spring slip to lose its tension, that is what this sounds like happened in this case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts