Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
02 OUTBACK 08 MAZDASPEED
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the Subaru world please be patient with me and hope you can help me out.

I have a 2002 outback with 175k

I just did a head gasket job on my Subaru put everything back together and turned the car on it started right away no knocking no smoking no nothing. we let it idle for about 2 hours it didn't over heat so that was a good sigh no leaks either.

However we took it for a test drive and it was driving find for about 20 minutes with no problems. after 20 minutes of driving it started hesitating and jerking a little, while i was driving back home it got worst the RPM gauge kept dropping even though i didn't let got of the throttle. No CEL while i was driving.

The following day i started looking into it and saw that the AT OIL TEMP light came on but then it turned off and later that day the CEL light came on and it gave me P0122 could all this issues be because of the throttle position sensor?

can someone help with this i would love your help.

·
Registered
02 OUTBACK 08 MAZDASPEED
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I do have a scanner once i get home ill check on that.

Its just weird that for the first 2 hours that it was idling it was fine then when i took it for a drive it ran fine for 20 minutes and then it just got worst.

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,112 Posts
Dropping tach can pretty much only be crank angle sensor or main power. AT light...now a CEL. Those are some intermittent and unrelated issues....

I'd start with grounds. Starting with whatever part you disconnected. Main ground wire from the battery to the bellhousing should be inspected very closely, I've seen where an insulated wire like that has gotten a break in the insulation, and look intact from the outside, but be rotten on the inside, and crumbles when disturbed.

Also there's an uninsulated braided ground strap from each head to the body, take a good look at those.

·
Registered
02 OUTBACK 08 MAZDASPEED
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good I will do that then. thank you guys for the help. I post something once I get it fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts