Subaru Outback Forums banner

Problem: dash warning lights, window, hatch?

316 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  BISCUT
Any ideas?
Started my 2018 Limited 3.6R yesterday.
Many dash lights stayed lit, including Eyesight (and its dependent functions), check engine and the x-mode light is flashing. After further checking, the outside temperature indicator is blank, the heat only warms up at the highest setting, the front passenger window won't open (all others work fine) and the rear hatch won't open from any of the dash button, the hatch button, or the fob.
Otherwise the car is running and driving perfectly fine.
What in the world would cause this? Should I just head straight to the dealership?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2018 Magnetite Gray 3.6R Limited
46 Posts
Any ideas?
Started my 2018 Limited 3.6R yesterday.
Many dash lights stayed lit, including Eyesight (and its dependent functions), check engine and the x-mode light is flashing. After further checking, the outside temperature indicator is blank, the heat only warms up at the highest setting, the front passenger window won't open (all others work fine) and the rear hatch won't open from any of the dash button, the hatch button, or the fob.
Otherwise the car is running and driving perfectly fine.
What in the world would cause this? Should I just head straight to the dealership?
Those only seem connected by the computer CAN bus but the dealer is likely the only one with the right tool. That laptop they use with software is about $5K/year.

You could reset everything by removing the battery terminal for several minutes to reboot all the bits and see if it is happier. You could also pull all the codes with a reader but those are different enough components, I am not sure what can be done without better tools/knowledge than a consumer would have access to.

· Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
19,132 Posts
My first thought is battery and grounds. That's the commonality and a weak battery will create all kinds of issues.

Any shop worth a damned will have software to read all the modules in the car and pull the faults. You don't need the dealership and half-assed guesswork.

I will venture that the computers on the car will have several "C" and "U" faults which lead to battery and grounds as the first check. The battery needs to have the ampere output checked and then the ground resistance or conductance checked.

· Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
5,388 Posts
Go to a dealership for a CEL? (which is what causes the light show on your dash - perfectly normal, just pop that into Google and you'll see it's a very common question for many cars)
Unless you're under a Subaru extended warranty, that's typically unwise. As mentioned, a good indie mechanic is just as capable, and will charge a lot less. +1 on a likely battery problem - this can result in the windows and hatch requiring reinitialization (which is often why they become unresponsive). A reset is a good idea. How old is your battery and how do the terminals look?

· Registered
331 Posts
I had similar happen to me (17 3.6 limited) after one of the many times my rear hatch being open drew too much juice from the OEM battery. Jump'd and later terminal removed overnight. Put back and all the bellz n lights were back to normal. I'd start troubleshooting the battery and go from there.

· Registered
2 Posts
I had similar happen to me (17 3.6 limited) after one of the many times my rear hatch being open drew too much juice from the OEM battery. Jump'd and later terminal removed overnight. Put back and all the bellz n lights were back to normal. I'd start troubleshooting the battery and go from there.
Had a similar situation yesterday. 2018 2.5 Limited. Tuesday my lift gate would not open.. three beeps from all openers. Yesterday I drove the car—dash was lit up like a Christmas tree—CEL, Eye Sight, etc. This morning I pulled the negative lead off the battery for about an hour. Reconnected the lead, all is well. No dash lights and the lift gate operates normally.

· Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
5,388 Posts
Had a similar situation yesterday. 2018 2.5 Limited. Tuesday my lift gate would not open.. three beeps from all openers. Yesterday I drove the car—dash was lit up like a Christmas tree—CEL, Eye Sight, etc. This morning I pulled the negative lead off the battery for about an hour. Reconnected the lead, all is well. No dash lights and the lift gate operates normally.
Annnnnd.... how old is your battery? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts