Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large kayak the boat rests on the antenna when I get it on the roof rack. If I move it to one side, it rests against the side. Im trying to figure out a way to protect it with foam. But this isn't ideal. The J carrier may help, but my boat is big and heavy and I don't think I will be able to load it by myself. Anyone have the same problem? Is there a way to mount another rack system that gives more height to the rack so it isnt so close to the top of the car or antenna? Any tips or advice? Anothwr solution all together? Attached are pics of my issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I tried the J-bars on my 2013 OB but couldn't get them to stay in place on the stock crossbars. I ended up going with the Yakima system since I already had other pieces from a previous car. The system is incredibly secure once installed. The only downside is the system sits about 3" higher than the existing crossbars, and takes 2 people to load my kayaks. There's always the hitch & trailer option.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
11 Posts
You may be the rare person who would benefit from the (normally) absurd extra height of the Yakima Skyline / Control Tower with landing pad system. Alternately and more cheaply, maybe those gray foam blocks for factory racks would lift the back end up enough higher to clear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What brand was other J carrier? Thule? Can you post a link to the Yakima one you have or something similar? Would you mind taking a picture as well? I am so frustrated and in need of help!.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may be the rare person who would benefit from the (normally) absurd extra height of the Yakima Skyline / Control Tower with landing pad system. Alternately and more cheaply, maybe those gray foam blocks for factory racks would lift the back end up enough higher to clear.
I tried the J-bars on my 2013 OB but couldn't get them to stay in place on the stock crossbars. I ended up going with the Yakima system since I already had other pieces from a previous car. The system is incredibly secure once installed. The only downside is the system sits about 3" higher than the existing crossbars, and takes 2 people to load my kayaks. There's always the hitch & trailer option.

Yah i am looking sy some kind of foam thing to put around the antenna.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a link to the foam pads you're talking about? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
77 Posts
What brand was other J carrier? Thule? Can you post a link to the Yakima one you have or something similar? Would you mind taking a picture as well? I am so frustrated and in need of help!.
I'll put the bars on tomorrow and take pics. That's another nice thing, with the Yakima system you can remove the bars with the J-bars installed. Makes for quick add / remove as needed / not needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll put the bars on tomorrow and take pics. That's another nice thing, with the Yakima system you can remove the bars with the J-bars installed. Makes for quick add / remove as needed / not needed.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5
29 Posts
IMO, the J bars shouldn't be used on factory crossbars with a large boat.
The Yakima system, like NoVASAC mentioned, is super easy to remove if not in use.
It does look a little ridiculous from the side, but from the front, it's not so bad.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I installed the rear Yakima cross bar for display purposes. The front has the Boat Loader Assist bar installed and the weight makes it a bit unwieldy for one person.

The Landing Pad in the pic mounts in place of the OEM cross bars and do not get removed, merely covered when not in use.

The Yakima bar sits 5" higher than the OEM cross bar mounting location.

The pad for the kayak is even higher. (NOTE: I had moved the ruler, so the height is closer to 7" not 9")

You can see the height difference between the OEM bars and the Yakima in this pic.

Loading the kayak solo can be done, but its easier with help. However, with the Yakima system the boat isn't going anywhere once secured. And removal / install can be done quickly (took me less than 2 minutes to mount this bar).

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts