Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Subaru Outback; '02 Subaru Outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone asks, yes, I have successfully programmed the remotes for the wife's '02. The problem I'm having in on my '99. I cannot, for the life of me, get the car into programming mode.
When I bought the car it came with two different keys - one for the doors and one for the ignition. I assume the ignition lock cylinder was replaced at some point. Would this prevent me from entering programming? I know the horn works with the security system. I have a good remote and one I want to program. My concern is what could happen if the battery dies in either the car or the remote.
I really don't want to take this to the dealer to program. I would appreciate hearing any ideas you might have.

·
Registered
'99 Outback 2.5 GT auto & '97 LegOB w/ grossly insulted 2.5
141 Posts
Never had a second remote for the first series cars I've had, but the systems are made by code-alarm, it seems, which was a domestic company & it looks as if the keyless-entry/anti-theft units were installed at the POE. You might try to find the programming instructions for after-market code-alarm systems & go from there. The systems/remotes are pretty robust...never had any failure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts