Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 outback premium with the standard radio. With my iPhone 5 I had decent reliability with the connection via Bluetooth. Now since I stupidly installed iOS 6.1.2 the phone will not reconnect via Bluetooth once it is paired and the car is turned off. No auto reconnect or manual. However there are two ways it will reconnect. 1. Turn the car off and then back on (this works 50% of the time) or 2. Delete the phone via the radio and then re pair it. This is so frustrating since I use Bluetooth a lot for music and calls. Now I know it is more likely iOS but was hoping someone here had some insight.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
I have the same car, same phone, same update, same issues. Not too big of an issue for me though since I don't make too many calls while driving, but I do use pandora to steam music a lot. Also, it's only happened to me twice. I haven't found a resolution for this, I guess we'll just have to wait for the next iOS update. Sorry.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i premium AWP sunroof, ice silver metallic
93 Posts
I just got an iPhone 5 & am having this same issue (2012 premium outback though)

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
So that's what has been going on. I've been getting "failed connection" notices all the time recently, and now I know why. ****.

'13 OB ltd 3.6r Nav/HK/Eyesight by the way

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium 6sp
1 Posts
Same here - 2012 OB Premium (No nav and no HK). I've had no luck at all in connecting. Have done the searches here and tried the tips.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
As a sys admin I see problems like this with other devices too. My own Apple devices are working same and the whole system is better in terms of switching between output devices.

These tips are more universal than Apple or one car. Reset the phone. Apple says do it more than people realize. Forget and again pair your devices. I'm not saying there is no problem but just what we tell the many dozens of smart phone users who we support.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have to delete & repair every time I get in the car if I want to listen to music via bluetooth. I never ever had this problem with my iphone 4. This all started with the 5. I just hope there's a fix sometime soon bc I used it every time I drove my car.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited
5 Posts
Ditto with 2013 Limited with no nav HK system and iPhone 4s with most recent iOS. The connection dropped spontaneously once and a second time I'd powered down the phone. Both instances reconnected automatically when I shut car off and re-started.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I've been thinking about this and getting upset. I use the handsfree phone feature a lot in my car and now it doesn't work. In addition, it's the law here in CA. People mention waiting until it gets fixed, but I wonder if anyone at Apple is working on it, or even aware of the problem. May be a long wait.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same issue with Android

I had a Droid 2 Global since September that would auto-pair every time I got into the car. (The issue then was that it would also launch the music player on the phone - that was similarly annoying.)

Last month, I upgraded to a Droid Razr M, and now I have to try to connect numerous times before bluetooth works, and sometimes it gives me a "Connected (no media)" or "Connected (no phone)" message.

My assumption has been that there's a new version of the bluetooth standard that's being pushed to newer phones and likely not supported by the firmware/software in the radio yet. I just signed up here today, so I'll be digging around for information on how to update the software in the radio.

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited 3.6R w/ Nav & Eyesight
98 Posts
I have the '13 OB ltd 3.6r Nav/HK/Eyesight and an iPhone 5 with the latest iOS, and I haven't had any of the problems you guys are. Knock on wood...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update I deleted my phone through the radio and deleted it on my phone as well. So far the last few days the phone will connect every time. Only issue I have had is twice it was connected but and would play music but no sound would come out over the speakers. Only way to fix it was to turn the car off and on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Okay, new symptom. Mine just disconnected while playing a song. There was no phone call, no message, nothing. The bluetooth just quit. It wouldn't automatically reconnect either.

·
Registered
84 Posts
iPhone 5, 2013 outback premium with standard radio. I have not had any issues since the last iOS update. I use the BT for calls and for steaming audio all the time.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
Yet another reason to get rid of the sub-par head units in these cars...

No problem with my iPhone 4S, or my wife's iPhone 5 in my car with my Pioneer head unit with any version of iOS thus far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just had another nonconnect this morning. The fix was to shut off the car and restart it. At this rate I will be changing out the starter sooner rather than later. :/

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
1 Posts
Just had another nonconnect this morning. The fix was to shut off the car and restart it. At this rate I will be changing out the starter sooner rather than later. :/
You know you can go to your Bluetooth settings on your iphone and click car multimedia to have your phone connect without shutting off your car right? I don't even wait for my phone to auto connect, I just start my car then manually tell my phone to connect from the Bluetooth settings. Works every time. (Iphone 5, ios 6.1.2)

I need to try deleting my phone and re adding it to the stereo (HK NAV) but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to delete phones from the radio.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know you can go to your Bluetooth settings on your iphone and click car multimedia to have your phone connect without shutting off your car right? I don't even wait for my phone to auto connect, I just start my car then manually tell my phone to connect from the Bluetooth settings. Works every time. (Iphone 5, ios 6.1.2)

I need to try deleting my phone and re adding it to the stereo (HK NAV) but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to delete phones from the radio.
Yes I do know that and have tried that numerous times. I always get an error that says Bluetooth device out of range or something along those lines. Like I said the only fix is to turn off the car and turn it back on. Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited
6 Posts
2013 Outback with Nav. My Motorola Razr Maxx HD doesn't autoconnect. Must be paired manually. Previous phone (Samsung Galaxy 1) had not problem autoconnecting.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
I am not sure this is purely an IOS issue. I had similar issues with my device and the fix was simple. There is a setting somewhere deep in the bluetooth settings in the car where you can choose which device initiates the connection. By default the connection is initiated by the car. I changed the option to have the connection initiated by the device and I rarely if ever experience issues.

Edit: This works for me in the Nav unit, no experience with the others.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts