Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum has a lot of information that can be extremely helpful for new Subaru owners, old Subaru owners and everyone in between. Sometimes the challenge is finding that information.

If you are a new member to this forum and came on here to troubleshoot a Subaru problem, you have two options:
  1. Start a new thread and get a handful of responses, if you're lucky one will be helpful;
  2. Utilize the forum SEARCH function to see if someone had the same problem and already found a solution.
Chances are good, no matter what the problem or question, that someone has had the same issue and the solution or answer will be found by searching the vast information already available. It may take you 30 minutes to search for and find a solution, but it could take days to get the right response on a new thread. Try searching first!

How to Search SubaruOutback.org Effectively

Advanced Search Page: Where it is and how to use it
On the top right side of any forum header is a button: "Search this Forum". Single clicking this button drops down the search menu - DO NOT type in your query here! Instead, single click the "Advanced Search" link and it will open up a much more useful search tool. See the red arrows below to get to the "Advanced Search" screen.

Now that you're on the "Advanced Search" page, you can really narrow down your search to easily find threads that are relevant to your query. You can do this multiple ways:
  • "Search by Keyword" is the most useful, but I would also recommend selecting "Search Titles Only" under this drop down menu. It will limit results to only full threads directly related to your search term(s);
  • "Search by User Name" which is helpful if you know user "XYZ" posted a thread about something you're looking for, but can't remember when or where;
  • "Search Options>Sort Results by>Number of Replies OR Number of Views" are handy because the more people that contribute to or read a thread, the more likely there is to be a useful response in there;
  • "Search Options>Search in Forum(s)" if you don't find the answer in the sub forum you'd expect it to be in, try searching across other sub forums, or "All Open Forums" (be careful: if your search term is broad, this could produce too many results to sort through). Often threads are put in the wrong forum, so your answer could be out there but in the wrong place.

Search Terms: Find exactly what you're looking for
There are basically two kinds of useless searches: first, when there are NO results returned...obviously useless; and second, when there are TOO MANY results returned...also useless. Here's how to avoid those types.

One important limitation of the Search Function is that your keyword(s) must be GREATER than three (3) characters: i.e., "Sub", "6MT", "oil" will all return 0 results, even though there are plenty of threads out there related to these topics. You need to expand the wording, e.g. "Subaru", "manual tran", "oil type".

Also, basic search syntax can help narrow down your results:
  • AND (ex. bluetooth AND iphone)
  • OR (ex. bluetooth OR iphone)
  • NOT (ex. bluetooth NOT iPhone) or use the minus sign (-) (ex. bluetooth -iphone)
  • Search for an exact phrase using quotes (ex. "fuel efficiency")
  • Search for wild cards using asterisks (*) (ex. *efficiency)
Lastly, choose your search terms well. Don't search for something like: How do I change the oil on a 2013 Outback? Instead, search for just the main words: 2013 Outback Oil Change. Or even better, "2013 Oil Change" or "Oil Change" with the quotations.

The information is out there - enjoy your searching :D

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Also an excellent forum search method, ntippet.

To expand and further explain (because I like to do things the long and painful way!), since SubaruOutback.org is open to the public you can search the forum using Google. When you use Google you don't have the limitations imposed by the vBulletin search engine. Google searches can be very useful.

To limit Google to return results only on a specific site (domain) simply add site:subaruoutback.org after your search terms. Look at this example:

Another example, if you're looking for "Fuel Efficiency" on SubaruOutback.org type the following into Google:

Fuel Efficiency site:subaruoutback.org

You will get back all public pages with "Fuel" and "Efficiency" on SubaruOutback.org. And because Google is good at what it does you will get the most relevant results first such as threads with "Fuel Efficiency" in the title and ones that have the phrase "Fuel Efficiency" before ones that might say "Fuel Tank". These little differences in functionality can make finding what you are looking for take just a few seconds compared to many minutes looking through pages of results returned by the built in SubaruOutback.org search engine.

Also, this is a useful trick for searching any domain with google, not just SubaruOutback.org!

Thanks for pointing that out, ntippet :29:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yup
Apparently the keywords work before or after the site:url
Neat.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Consider this thread stickied.

Now if there was only a way to allow to make sure people actually read it instead of just posting...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You should mandate reading this thread somehow.
Then maybe the same questions wouldn't be asked multiple times every month.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Is there a way to replace the integrated search box with a link to a google site search?

Once I learned about the 3-character problem in the integrated search, I gave up on it for good. Worthless unless we start restricting all posts to 4+ character words, and I don't see that as likely. ;)

·
12,305 Posts
Is there a way to replace the integrated search box with a link to a google site search?

Once I learned about the 3-character problem in the integrated search, I gave up on it for good. Worthless unless we start restricting all posts to 4+ character words, and I don't see that as likely. ;)
That is a question for the Auto Guide staff. We can't do anything like that on our end.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Understood. How do we get it in front of them?

I consider the 3-char limit to be a fatal flaw in any web search in the age of google. Having that search box prominently displayed on every page is like putting an empty milk jug back into the fridge, blocking easy access to the full one.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should mandate reading this thread somehow.
Then maybe the same questions wouldn't be asked multiple times every month.
+1, I wish there was a way to require new forum members to read this immediately after signing up.

Anyway, thanks for sticky-ing, hope the point reaches some newbies (and the occasional veteran, too!).

·
12,305 Posts

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback, EJ25D > 1995 EJ22 Swap
69 Posts
This newbie just read it! Some great suggestions. I always try to search first.

Sometimes it's just to get a sense of relevant terms to my problem, or insights, so when I post a specific instance I'm having, I can say it well & get quality answers. So it's worth a search even when it's a less than common sounding problem.

·
Registered
looking for an Outback probably 2010 or later to tow a 13 ft Scamp trailer
3 Posts
Thanks a bunch. Saves me and the forum folks from unneeded questions and messaging.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback (Legacy), 2.5 H4 engine, AT, 188k miles
10 Posts
Newly joined member, looking for troubleshooting help. Thanks for the search guide. Unfortunately, I need help IDing a noise, kind of hard to search based on a noise I can't identify!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium - her name is Pearl
1 Posts
Just joined. Thanks for the guide on how to search and find the most useful threads!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts