Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
I love the sound of my 3.6 at over 5000 rpm. I go their regularly just for fun! This is by first boxer and recognized right away that these engines love RPM. Me too!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Even though I know 5500 RPM range is acceptable within the 2.5 engine, I do have to say that when driving at 5500 RPM it sure doesn't sound OK. IMO it makes an awful rumbling sound when above 5k for more then a few seconds.

My V8 Jeep when within that range had a solid "roar" to it, my Outback on the other hand has more like a high pitched moaning sound. I can easily see how someone could believe that it's not healthy for the engine.
The subaru flat 4's have a much lower rumble than any I4 on the market that was the first thing I noticed when test driving my first 2.5 way back in 2001. Even today the sound of a subaru 4 under load makes non subaru experienced passengers think that you have a much larger engine than you do. Wife was hauling around some execs between Analyst meetings talking guys who all have Big luxury vehicles with large engines. Very busy frantic day in and out of the car then end of the day running them to the Airport. It wasn't till they were on their way to the airport that she said all of them asked what car they had been riding in all day. Yes it was that sort of day. The Big BMW owner asked if it was a V8 because it sounded very low - she said all three of them didn't believe her when she said Guys you've been riding around in a Subaru all day and its a four cylinder. LOL Perception is a funny thing.

My 67yr old mother has had similar experiences with her 2.5 Legacy and hauling her snobby Tennis league ladies around to away matches. Some of those ladies are serious pieces of work one of them ended up in the back seat of the Legacy for a road trip and argued with the other back seat passenger that they were in a BMW because it was just like hers. My mom didn't say a word hates the woman after getting to the club she simply told the woman maybe you should get a Subaru next time your BMW breaks down. HA HA

21 - 22 of 22 Posts