Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running the 380 version of the infotainment system on my 2020 Onyx XT but it still hasn't fixed all my issues. For example both CarPlay and Android Auto crash constantly, and by constantly I mean every couple of days on my commute. I drive about 35 minutes each way and use Waze and listen to Audible so I rely pretty heavily on either CarPlay or AA, so this is what I'd classify as annoying. The bigger problem is that over the past couple of weeks 3 or 4 times the entire system has rebooted while I've been driving on the highway, and I mean fully rebooted and shut down all the driver assistance and everything. Then today for my entire commute I couldn't get the system to work for either CP or AA at all. This included shutting my car off completely and opening my door at a stop light in an attempt to get it to reboot.
I have an appointment next week with the dealer to have reapply the 380 update, but since that's what I'm already on, I'm not sure what that is going to accomplish. I'm tempted to try it myself and see if it helps before then, and possibly try a full factory reset of the system.
What I'm wondering is if anyone else has had these issues after getting the 380 update, as I thought it was supposed to 'fix' a lot of these problems.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,401 Posts
My gut feeling is that you have a hardware problem - others with actual blanking out units have had them physically replaced - its the "cockpit control unit'

It may help the dealership to have a video of the malfunction to show them.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our situations are very similar and I'm also having those problems. Almost always, the system is super laggy when I first turn on the car. I experience AP crashing, I don't use AA. I listen to audio books through Libby, which is an AP app, and many times I don't have full access to the app features. It's super frustrating. I'm definitely going to have it looked at when I take my 2020 Limited in for an oil change.

·
Registered
2021 Outback 2.4T Touring XT
39 Posts
The same thing is happening to my '21 Outback that we've had for about 5 months. It worked fine for the first couple of months, and then the problems started building until a couple of weeks ago when the screen started crashing multiple times per ride. The dealer has had it a week, and it took four days of them arguing with Subaru on my behalf to replace the CCU. Subaru wanted them to release the vehicle to me because the problem was intermittent. They finally approved it on Friday and the part is on order.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
384 Posts
What I find interesting is for 2020, in the Subaru parts catalog, there are now two versions of each of the three of CCUs found in the Outback/Legacy. There are six SKUs listed for the CCU (base, mid and high versions) I'm guessing some design, chip and hardware enhancements were quietly made. This could explain why the 2021s have a slightly different firmware version.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limted - 2.5 4 cyl - Nav - Sunroof-StarLink Enabled -I ce Blue Metalic
77 Posts
All,

I have the xxxxxx-380 radio/nav update as well.
My car is a 2020 Limited and has 7100 miles production date of Feb. 20.
My crashes are becoming more frequent no obvious pattern or the ability to predict a failure.
I do not use any phone-based programs other than my android is linked via Bluetooth.

I so, far love my car, but this is getting a bit more than an inconvenience, as when the system crashes so do all the safety features, they are one of the primary reasons I bought my car.

We are not alone, there are others that are reporting similar episodes - the constant is Nav/Radio - variable(s) model/engine and phone, and if it was physically attached at the time of the Nav/Radio failure(s).

Silver-Blue

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,401 Posts
If your infotainment system is blanking out then contact the dealer and work with them to resolve it, and if you feel the dealer isn't resolving the issues to your satisfaction please call Subaru Of America (SOA) 1 (800) 782-2783

There are revised infotainment unit versions that were introduced at some point so it may require replacing your Cockpit Control Unit (CCU).

·
Registered
2020 Abyss Blue Pearl OB XT
394 Posts
Good info here. My unit sometimes won’t respond when I press the screen to change a radio channel. A few times the screen goes blank due no reason at all. But with me wfh, I don’t drive that much so it tough to say how often it occurs. But I did mention it to the service advisor in sept during my oil change. He mentioned another software update would be out soon. That’s all I have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts