Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Baja. I have bought 2 of the newer tear drop style remotes. I can enter programming mode, but when I press a button on the remote to program it nothing happens. I have followed every direction. The first was used from Ebay and deemed damaged by the dealer. I bought a second new one and still can not get a response. Any thoughts? When I click a button on the remote with in the 45 second period after opening and closing the door, I am supposed to hear a honk correct? Obviously I can't have 2 bad remotes, could my Alpine system be damaged?

·
Registered
136 Posts
You mention Alpine system.... Alpine remotes or Subaru?
Are the remotes listed as compatible for that era/model?

The Subaru systems of that era have a couple of wires that could have been cut for things like remote start or arm while running.
The remotes are part of the OEM alarm, & it will interupt a lot of things.

Do you have a turbo timer, aftermarket security, or remote start?
If yes, there could be some cut wires that don't allow programing of new remotes, but allow the aftermarket stuff to function.

If Subaru, does the key in iginition on/off x3 work for disarm? if not, likely something cut.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It is possible the previous owner had an alarm &/or remote start.
If it was traded in & the system removed, FOB's lost, something may still be a miss, or unhooked.

The easiest way to check is look for spliced wires, or wires with vampire bite marks under the dash somewhere.
Also look for a pinswitch under the hood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
GLwagon
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing