Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago Android Auto stopped working in my 2020 Onyx XT. It gives me a red screen on my phone and Communications Error 8, which I've gone through everything I can find to fix (restarting car, restarting phone, new cord, trying different phones, forcing updates). The problem persists.

When going through the settings on the car to try to get the right date and time settings, I noticed that when I have the time set to "auto" it displays the right time, but the date is way off (the year is 2040). I'm not sure exactly what the issue is there but l can't seem to figure out what's causing it to be so wrong and neither have the dealership techs I've had look at it.

Has anyone else encountered the same thing? Does anyone know how to fix it? l just want to use Android Auto again!

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,596 Posts
About a month ago Android Auto stopped working in my 2020 Onyx XT. It gives me a red screen on my phone and Communications Error 8, which I've gone through everything I can find to fix (restarting car, restarting phone, new cord, trying different phones, forcing updates). The problem persists.

When going through the settings on the car to try to get the right date and time settings, I noticed that when I have the time set to "auto" it displays the right time, but the date is way off (the year is 2040). I'm not sure exactly what the issue is there but l can't seem to figure out what's causing it to be so wrong and neither have the dealership techs I've had look at it.

Has anyone else encountered the same thing? Does anyone know how to fix it? l just want to use Android Auto again!
I can't help with Android Auto problems (or iCar or whatever the Apple thingy is), but I have a good idea about what the problem with the date is and can speculate that the incorrect date is confusing AA.

Is the date June 18, 2040 instead of Nov 2, 2020? If so this is evidence of a botched "fix" for the 1024-week GPS rollover issue.

The underlying problem is that GPS systems reckon time as the number of weeks since a particular date (called the "epoch"), and time in seconds since the beginning of the week. Initially the epoch was 00:00:00 Sunday, Jan 6, 1980 Universal Time (midnight Sunday morning UT, afternoon or evening Saturday, Jan 5 in the US). The week number representing the current date is downlinked as a 10-bit integer, which can represent numbers in the range 0 to 1023. At the end of week 1023 the counter rolls over to 0 instead of incrementing to 1024, so the date appears to be 0 weeks after the beginning of the epoch instead of 7,168 days later. It first ran out of weeks 19.6 years after epoch, the morning of August 22, 1999 UTC (afternoon Aug 21 in the USA), and after systems were updated to use the new epoch, it next happened April 7, 2019 and will happen again on Nov 21, 2038. Both of these past events caused problems with at least some GPS receivers, and there still doesn't seem to be a proper fix for this known problem.

The solution would be to make sure Subaru is aware of the problem. If I'm right this can likely be fixed with a software update. If so I would also suspect that the problem is widespread, so they likely already know about it, but it doesn't hurt to pile on - they deserve to get grief about flubs like this.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
68 Posts
When I reached out with my issue, even SOA didn't know the issue. They recommended thst I update the system software in hopes that it will fix it. TomTom do not have an update for it because the system is maintained by Subaru. It stumped the techs at my local service center.

Finally they gave the authorization to order a new central control unit, and that fixed it

Make sure to verify GPS settings in dealer mode to make sure it is fixed.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't help with Android Auto problems (or iCar or whatever the Apple thingy is), but I have a good idea about what the problem with the date is and can speculate that the incorrect date is confusing AA.

Is the date June 18, 2040 instead of Nov 2, 2020? If so this is evidence of a botched "fix" for the 1024-week GPS rollover issue.

The underlying problem is that GPS systems reckon time as the number of weeks since a particular date (called the "epoch"), and time in seconds since the beginning of the week. Initially the epoch was 00:00:00 Sunday, Jan 6, 1980 Universal Time (midnight Sunday morning UT, afternoon or evening Saturday, Jan 5 in the US). The week number representing the current date is downlinked as a 10-bit integer, which can represent numbers in the range 0 to 1023. At the end of week 1023 the counter rolls over to 0 instead of incrementing to 1024, so the date appears to be 0 weeks after the beginning of the epoch instead of 7,168 days later. It first ran out of weeks 19.6 years after epoch, the morning of August 22, 1999 UTC (afternoon Aug 21 in the USA), and after systems were updated to use the new epoch, it next happened April 7, 2019 and will happen again on Nov 21, 2038. Both of these past events caused problems with at least some GPS receivers, and there still doesn't seem to be a proper fix for this known problem.

The solution would be to make sure Subaru is aware of the problem. If I'm right this can likely be fixed with a software update. If so I would also suspect that the problem is widespread, so they likely already know about it, but it doesn't hurt to pile on - they deserve to get grief about flubs like this.
It is exactly 1024 weeks ahead, wow. Just called the dealership and set up an appointment for them to take a look, they had never heard of this issue before. Will update this thread if it ends up getting fixed, thank you!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx
6 Posts
It is exactly 1024 weeks ahead, wow. Just called the dealership and set up an appointment for them to take a look, they had never heard of this issue before. Will update this thread if it ends up getting fixed, thank you!
This was a while ago but did you ever find a solution? The issue is happening to me now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had an issue that Android Auto was not coming up on the 11" display. After going round and round with everyone I factory reset the 11" display. It fixed my problem.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx
6 Posts
I had an issue that Android Auto was not coming up on the 11" display. After going round and round with everyone I factory reset the 11" display. It fixed my problem.
Unfortunately doing a couple factory resets did not work for me. The GPS date/time is still showing a date in 2041 and android auto continues to throw communication error 8 and is unusable.

I also tried a few different USB to USB C cables to see if I might get lucky but no dice.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,596 Posts
Unfortunately doing a couple factory resets did not work for me. The GPS date/time is still showing a date in 2041 and android auto continues to throw communication error 8 and is unusable.

I also tried a few different USB to USB C cables to see if I might get lucky but no dice.
Beware the Ides of March?

15 Mar 2041 is exactly 1024 weeks after 30 Jul 2021. This would be evidence of a botched GPS rollover "fix". If the only source of system time is from the GPS, then you aren't going to solve this until someone fixes the firmware (unless there's a "pivot date" in the firmware not too far in the future - if so it will miraculously start working correctly).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts