Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke down and bought the ProClip console mount and Oliv magnetic holder. This was a little pricey but I figured what the heck. I was super surprised by how fast it was delivered. I ordered it late Wednesday and it was delivered before noon Friday, in Canada no less.

The inclusions were nice like the alcohol wipe and plastic seam spreader, although I figure the unit probably didn't need the seam spreader. The mount went on very quickly but the Oliv mount was a little more challenging. Not sure what screwdriver would have been best to use buy mine seemed to almost strip the heads.

At any rate, the unit all works well together and the pivots just use friction, I was hoping for a spring action with locking notches, so I hope the phone stays put.

I don't have a photo of my phone on the mount as it's the only camera in hand right now. Perhaps I can fire up my old phone for that shot.

So far I'm enjoying the mount and it looks great.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, forgot to mention that the steel plate needed for the mount on the Oliv cannot be under the phone case, as in between the phone and the case. You must have it exposed so I used the attached adhesive and stuck it to the outside of my case. At first I thought it wasn't going to stay attached but read the instructions to see that it requires 30-60 minutes to strengthen.

After a few hours it seems to stay put.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
84 Posts
I wish you luck with it.

I just can't help but think about magnets near electronic devices (phones are esentially a hand-held computer) - gee, what could go wrong?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish you lick with it.
Well that response was a little rude...

Anyways, I guess nobody ever thought about the interactions of small magnets and phones. Surprised these things are still on store shelves.

Yup, Sarcastic Saturday.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
857 Posts
No magnets for me, thanks, I have a different ProClip mounted to the console (Slide-in).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that was interesting. I was taking photos of the mount with and without the adjustable extension when the sticky metal disc popped off my phone case. The manufacturer recommended not sticking it to a silicon phone case but my Otter-box should have been ok since it has a hard plastic shell. Well since I was committed to the phone holder I opted to super glue to plate to the exterior of the case. Atleast for now it seems to be ok.

So here are the photos of my setup. I did opt for the adjustable base add on from Oliv but it seems to put my phone at odds with the 1st cup holder. This base is just stuck to the Olive mount with magnets anyways so I've started using the mount without the adjustable unit. The phone seems to sit quite well on the base itself.

Once again. I am not in the habit of touching my phone while driving but enjoy the look and convenience of having the phone within reach and not sliding around inside the console.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
633 Posts
Following Wilbours lead I purchased a ProClip #835054. Our favorite phone mount has been the iOttie Easy One Touch 4.
Mounting the iOttie was super easy. Just drill a 7/8” hole and it screws in nicely. No need for a nut or glue. I was surprised how nicely this setup works and the wife loves it. Clears the cup holder nicely. She didn’t like the iOttie before because it was unstable.

Reactions: Wilbour

·
Registered
Old: '13 Focus St ::: New: '18 3.6 Ltd in white
26 Posts
Just feel compelled to chime in and mention...

Magnets (of the day to day strength involved here) will have absolutely zero effect on your cell phone.
Don't worry in the least about using them.

Source: IT professional and electronics nerd since birth.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Just feel compelled to chime in and mention...

Magnets (of the day to day strength involved here) will have absolutely zero effect on your cell phone.
Don't worry in the least about using them.

Source: IT professional and electronics nerd since birth.
Unless you rely on the compass?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
good magnet case things might be shielded though, so depending on how it's made maybe it's just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts