Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Product knowledge is a serious issue auto companies have been dealing with for a good while. Most people would agree that they aren’t making much headway.
What do you think are some of the reasons that the second largest purchase most people make has such a poor record in this area? I would say that very high turn over with sales people is certainly one reason!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'm in the training business my specialty is online training

The Auto industry has built some of the most expensive certification training systems of pretty much any industry. So why does it appear that sales people haven't a clue?

Simple dealers are 3rd party businesses the sales staff for the most part are low end employees especially at lower cost lower volume dealers like Subaru dealers.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't force him to drink it. You can have all the sales material humanly possible but sales staff must actually pick it up and learn it on their own.

And since most auto sales people make very little money unless they are semi retired and doing it for fun your younger sales type staff are sadly low end employees regardless of where they work. And yes they come and go with the changes in weather.

How do you fix this? I've been saying this for years and Tesla is the first auto company to try it. Dump the old school dealer network model - move to a company run sales floor with fewer locations and simply do online purchase after you visit a company owned show room to learn about the product from a company employee.
Then purchase your choice via Amazon and have it delivered.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subiesailor,

As you know, this has been a dream of the auto companies for years. Franchise contracts aside, how would warranty repairs be handled.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Subiesailor,

As you know, this has been a dream of the auto companies for years. Franchise contracts aside, how would warranty repairs be handled.
The same people who run dealerships will end up either doing licensed ie approved auto shops or get out of the business all together. As it stands now the massive jumbo dealers look for underhanded ways to generate income via their shop AKA - the fake mileage based service packages which have no relation to the Manufacturer services.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts