Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
A somewhat smaller but much more efficient 5 cyl would be welcome. For marketing and prestige reasons i don't think Subaru will become an all 4cyl manufacturer.
I'm also curious to see how much the new "Tribeca" will owe to the Highlander.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I was a bit puzzled where it mentioned batteries- a specific mention of Toyota's hybrid system, and an equally specific mention of Li-Ion batteries.

But Toyota's whole hybrid empire is built on NiMH battery manufacturing. They've got the exclusive rights to develop that technology for automotive propulsion, and they've done well with it so far.

So I suspect there are more than a few errors and wishes mixed in with that otherwise tantalizing report.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
Same here. A smaller H6, as per the previous rumor, coupled with batteries, that is, lessons learned from the meaningless in itself XV hybrid, makes much more sense than this intriguing but overly bold idea. In any case, Subaru would indeed be wise to generate or at least feed all sorts of rumors that would create buzz.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
I heard a new 4 and smaller six for the midlife cycle for the 15 Outback/Legacy. I still think the NA 2.5 should produce 185-200 HP and TQ +DI and still get good MPG if Subaru got with it on the NA front. Currently the F20DIT is there most advanced engine. It looks like the 15 OB 2.5 will be the same as the 13+ with some very minor upgrades

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
The 4 is new already. I do not see why would Subaru bring an "all-new" 4 cyl that quickly. An evolved one? Sure.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Direct Injection on the new 2.5 FB is the evolution that Subaru promised, and hopefully it will be here soon. 2.5 FB mpg with 10-20% more horsepower would be the sweet spot for a lot of buyers who are on the fence between the current 2.5 and 3.6.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
At least we have something to keep us busy:) It is clear that the 3.6R+CVT is but a placeholder for whatever is to become the new 7 pax/top of the line OB powertrain.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
The 1.6 DIT in the Levorg is getting good reviews. That would be a great choice the the XV or perhaps the OB

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
I wish Subaru would stop with the foolish hybrid stuff and leapfrog to Diesel electric setup.

1 electric motor for each wheel and a turbo 4 would be able to be mounted midship under the front seats for perfect weight balance and reduction of moent of inertia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts