Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of threads about on-vehicle fuel injector cleaning. I have tried a lot of methods and never been particularly successful. If you understand the way the injectors get gummed up with deposits, you will realize that they cannot be returned to "like new" condition by just flushing some wonder solvent through them.

I recommend that if you do have to remove your injectors for any reason, get them tested and ultrasonically cleaned and re-sealed.

They will also flow test and inspect the pattern before and after cleaning, and replace the fine screen in each. They cycle the injectors electrically while the sonic bath is running, to loosen and flush out all the internal deposits that otherwise wouldn't be touched.

Here is an excellent place to send your injectors - cost is shipping each way (US$5.25 for the small USPS flat rate box) plus US$16 each.

Mr Injector - Home

Service Procedure - Mr Injector

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Hey, now that's what I'm talkin bout.

I've never liked the idea of chemical cleaners, but this kind of rebuild looks like a fantastic value.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

I've been driving F.I. cars & motorcycles since 1970, and never
had any reason to remove/rebuild/repair/replace a fuel injector.

That's ten cars/bikes and over 4.5 million injector-miles without
a single injector failure. So, "injector maintenance" is slightly
below the top of my list of wurries...

...somewhere between alien abduction and Romney 2016,

Looby

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4.5 million injector-miles without
a single injector failure. So, "injector maintenance" is slightly
below the top of my list of wurries...
It isn't about a hard failure - it's about keeping the injectors flowing the way they did when they were first installed at the factory. I've never had a failure either, but I have seen some of my engines run smoother and more powerfully after getting the injectors serviced. It isn't black magic....

I'm not recommending that anyone take theirs out at 60K miles and send them off, but if you have an older vehicle and need to remove them for some other reason, or if your engine has a nuisance rough idle or miss that you can't correct with a proper tuneup or a can of snake oil in the fuel tank, or it just seems down on power - get them serviced.

Here is a training video from the test equipment manufacturer:

ASNU Injector Slow Motion - YouTube

From the Witch Hunter website:

"On today's computer controlled engines, the oxygen sensor(s) can only average the air / fuel mixture of all the cylinders. This can cause some cylinders to run rich and others to run lean if all the injectors are not flowing equally. Side by side flow testing is the only way to verify they are working well together."

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have used Witch Hunter performance in the past for injector cleaning. They are very good.
True, I have read some good reports about them. OTH their prices are US$6 higher per injector and their turnaround time is posted as about five days.

The link I posted has a 24 hr turnaround (within a normal Monday to Friday business week). My main reason for liking them is that their store is a reasonably short drive from my home, and I can drop my injectors off and talk to them in person...., then go to nearby Cabelas for my monthly fix. ;)

I'm sure their are lots more choices across the USA - and the equipment is sold internationally.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
Whitch Hunter used to be closer to $17, I was surprised to see the price hike myself. Good to know their is a reputable alternative.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,977 Posts
This is great! I've also been pretty lucky and only had one port injected car ever need serious injector service beyond what could be obtained with a bottle of Techron, but it's good to know this exists.

Engine management of the future? Custom spark and injector dwell based on individual cylinder sensors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts