1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First trip:
Charlotte, NC suburbs to East TN.

Bought her, drove her home. Filthy but lots of potential here.

Second trip:
East TN to Charlotte, NC.

Cleaned, (mostly) tuned up. Impressions- 3rd Gens eat up the highway reeeeeal nice. I prefer the 2nd Gen steering wheel and the 3rd Gen seats. Forgot to track my MPG this trip so no baseline yet. All lights, accessories seem to function as they are supposed to. Previous owner's tires are awful though, can't wait to get rid of them before next winter.

Third trip:
East TN to Cincinnati, OH.

Seem to average 27-28MPG on the interstate. Just a touch below what I saw in Kaylee, but within white noise range. Not amazing, but surprisingly decent factory sound system. Wife reports no need to upgrade anything at this time.

Reactions: rasterman

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
First trip:
SC to East TN.

Bought her, drove her home. Filthy but lots of potential here.

Second trip:
East TN to Charlotte, NC.

Cleaned, (mostly) tuned up. Impressions- 3rd Gens eat up the highway reeeeeal nice.
I think the Gen 3 best out of Gen1-2-3...I have experience with all three and ownership of Gen1 and Gen3.

Steering wheel aside... the Gen3 steering so very direct and communicative. I luv my Gen3 OBs

·
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I love the feel of the steering. I just like a 4 spoke wheel more than a 3 spoke for hand comfort.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Oh, I love the feel of the steering. I just like a 4 spoke wheel more than a 3 spoke for hand comfort.
That was actually the toughest thing for me to get used to, switching from my '98 to my '06. It's the first car I've ever owned that has a spoke at the 6 o'clock position and there was a good 2-3 months of getting comfortable with that. Eventually it passed. Congrats on new wheels!

·
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, all my Thunderbirds and the 1st and 2nd Gen Outbacks have all been 4 spoke wheels. My hands don't know where to settle when I'm driving her car.

·
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
East TN to near St. Louis, MO.

Same as normal. MPG 27-28 at 70-80MPH speeds. She eats the miles with no complaints.

Love the 3rd gen so much says the "My Daily Has Been A Gen 2 Since 2008" guy.

Reactions: Brucey

·
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
East TN to Charleston, SC and back.

OMG I love my wife's car. Seat and ride comfort are an order of magnitude better than a Gen 2.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
We like our Gen 3 XT enough that I'm considering finding an EJ257 to rebuild in preparation for when our croaks. A 6MT upgrade would be awesome. As well as new front seats ... because those are sooooo comfy.

Or save my time and money and buy a Stinger. But .. like when I traded the 2010 BMW for a 2017 Legacy .. suddenly, instead of spending nights and weekends working on the car, I have freetime ... what will I do with the freetime? More time spent on forums?

Hm, wonder if I can find some better seats ...

·
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
East TN to Cincinnati, OH

OMG I love my wife's car. Seat and ride comfort are an order of magnitude better than a Gen 2.
I have this thought every trip now.

Best MPG 28.5, worst 25.5.

·
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
East, TN to Birmingham, AL

Went to go see Metallica for the 1st time. Well worth the drive.

Also, I feel like the 3rd Gens were made to cruise the interstate.

Reactions: traildogck

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
East, TN to Birmingham, AL

Went to go see Metallica for the 1st time. Well worth the drive.

Also, I feel like the 3rd Gens were made to cruise the interstate.
I saw Metallica for the 1st time in 1988-89. And Justice for All Tour. I drove from the woods North of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to the old "Spectrum" in Philly.

I drove a 1970 Dodge Dart with 2 bench seats. All six spots filled with my siblings and friends. It was a 3 hour+ show and in the end it was stopped because ... in typical "old-school Metallica Fans" they started tearing up the place. My head, chest and ears all felt like they were bleeding. But it was a great road trip. That Dart BTW was a great car for me for 2 years. I don't even remember changing the oil.

In '91 I bought my 1st used turbo Subaru. I kept up with maintenance ever since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts