Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I just bought a 2007 Outback from a woman who only had one key and one fob. I got a locksmith to make a functional but I have a question about the fob.
Before I order another fob I have a couple concerns. Watching a video of how to set one up they tell you to open the fob and copy down the number to use during programming. Any tips for programming?
My question is when I successfully add a new fob will the disable the existing fob? If if so is there a work around? If not do I have to order two fobs as a set?
Next question is can I use a combination key/fob with this car?
It seems that the fob is a necessity because when I unlock the door with the key and open it the security system goes off.

Thanks for any help,
Steve the Noob

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
198 Posts
Get yourself a key with the remote so you do not have to carry two things on your key ring. You may want to carry a remote start remote instead.

The keys on Amazon came with the ID tags so no need to open.

It depends .. think of the codes like a queue. You push one in in pushes all the other existing ones up. If all the slots are already used, the oldest code is pushed out. Depending on where the existing key is in the queue it may get lost or not. The manual recommends programming all the key at the same time so you know for sure what keys are in. This also prevents old keys to be still active in case the former owners want to take a joy ride:)

You do not need to buy two keys unless you want to have 3. You program all of them in by repeating the programming sequence for each of them. It is tediuos. Some locksmiths will offer to also program the keys. You can also go to the dealer to program them but many refuse to do so with keys not purchased from them or at least they want them to be Subaru keys.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,331 Posts
The "record the programming code" only applies to the early 2005 models. That method of fob programming involved a Moorse-code-style of code input through the door lock switch. Utterly insane.

The new method is just pressing buttons on the fob after an initialization procedure (as outlined in the manual).

The BIU can remember old fobs, but it's ideal to have all the fobs on-hand while programming. This way, it's guaranteed to marry all your current fobs. Key programming is another, separate procedure.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
198 Posts
The new method is just pressing buttons on the fob after an initialization procedure (as outlined in the manual).
I looked for the "new" method in the manuals (including the PDF from above post, 2009 FSM, 2009 Owners) and could not find it. What manual are you referring to?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
706 Posts
I looked for the "new" method in the manuals (including the PDF from above post, 2009 FSM, 2009 Owners) and could not find it. What manual are you referring to?
The "record the programming code" only applies to the early 2005 models. That method of fob programming involved a Moorse-code-style of code input through the door lock switch. Utterly insane.

The BIU can remember old fobs, but it's ideal to have all the fobs on-hand while programming. This way, it's guaranteed to marry all your current fobs. Key programming is another, separate procedure.
The above PDF I uploaded is from the owners manual. The FSMs do not have the procedure in them.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i, Auto Transmission, 270k+
255 Posts
The above PDF I uploaded is from the owners manual. The FSMs do not have the procedure in them.
So which manual shows how to program a fob by " just pressing buttons on the fob after an initialization procedure"?

BTIBob uploaded the procedure from the owners' manual, and states it's not in the FSM, which leave us with... The "new" procedure from where?

·
Registered
706 Posts
So which manual shows how to program a fob by " just pressing buttons on the fob after an initialization procedure"?

BTIBob uploaded the procedure from the owners' manual, and states it's not in the FSM, which leave us with... The "new" procedure from where?
I have never seen a procedure of pressing buttons after an initialization procedure. Unless that is what you call the procedure from the owners manual! I guess it could be called that after you go through the key on and off, along with opening door and then pressing the door lock button.

I do know that with the dealer scanner/computer you just press a button or two. But that will usually cost you $100.00 or more!

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,331 Posts
@BTIBob @sgoti These are the instructs from my archive, I believe they were saved from NAISOC some time ago (I did not write them).

DO NOT RETURN THE KEY TO THE "LOCK" POSITION EACH TIME!! Go to position 1. Just above the "LOCK" position.

Regardless of what you have read in the owner’s manual this is the only way that I got mine to enter programming mode.

Also, please note that you do not need to have the Lock/Unlock horn chirp enabled to hear the "entered programming mode indicator" honk or any of the other horn indications during the programming process.

That being said, this is the process I followed to complete the programming:

1. Unlock all doors
2. Open the driver-side door (My windows were rolled up)
3. Get in
4. Close the door
5. Insert the key
6. Turn it to the ON position (Don’t start the car) and back to position 1, just above the LOCK position 10-12 times within 15 seconds leaving it in the ON position.
7. The horn will chirp
8. Open and close the door
9. Press the unlock button on the first remote
10. The horn will chirp
11. Open and close the door
12. Press the unlock button on the second remote
13. The horn will chirp

Basically, continue opening and closing the door once before pressing the unlock button on the remaining remotes until you have programmed all of your remotes (4 is the max). When you are done, take the key out and you will hear some more horn chirps. Test the remotes.
I will throw this caveat in: I have successfully done this on my sister's 09 OB (with the integrated key/fob combo), my neighbor's 06 LGT, my old 05 9-2X, and a few Foresters. However, I have not attempted it on my early build 05 OBXT (no need).

My theory is there is two ways to enter the fob ID: either by programming which codes to accept (the Moorse code way), or telling the BIU to "listen" to a fob and record whatever that code is (the lock-the-fob way). I believe this is how 02 WRX owners can use 05+ tear-drops and vise-versa (had an 06 tear-drop on my 05 9-2x, which originally had a blob fob).

·
Registered
706 Posts
@BTIBob @sgoti These are the instructs from my archive, I believe they were saved from NAISOC some time ago (I did not write them).

I will throw this caveat in: I have successfully done this on my sister's 09 OB (with the integrated key/fob combo), my neighbor's 06 LGT, my old 05 9-2X, and a few Foresters. However, I have not attempted it on my early build 05 OBXT (no need).

My theory is there is two ways to enter the fob ID: either by programming which codes to accept (the Moorse code way), or telling the BIU to "listen" to a fob and record whatever that code is (the lock-the-fob way). I believe this is how 02 WRX owners can use 05+ tear-drops and vise-versa (had an 06 tear-drop on my 05 9-2x, which originally had a blob fob).
I had never seen this method! I will give it a try!

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.0XT Limited
63 Posts

Worked like a charm thank you. When I got the car back from the mechanic, not sure from the ecu swap or too long without juice the remote stopped working.

Now it's back to normal.

+1 2005 obxt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts