Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB Limited
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically I just bought a home, and the previous owner didn't have the wireless garage door remote controls, and the OB instructions call for using those for pairing the OB HomeLink buttons on the mirror... Does anyone know how to do this without the remote? I was hoping this would be easy and I'd rather not spend money on a new remote control.

Step by Step instructions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
'11 2.5i Premium PZEV
271 Posts
It depends on the brand and model of your garage door opener. I have an opener that accepts "rolling codes" and as a result I did not need remotes to program it (there is a red button on the opener itself which I had to press, and then press a HomeLink button in the car to "pair" them). Not all openers use "rolling codes" but most new ones do.

Your manual should have the step-by-step directions you need in order to program.

You can also see the HomeLink Web site if you don't have your manual handy.

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
I only have Genie garage door openers and I had to use the hand held remote for the initial "training". I then used the red button on the opener itself to complete the rolling code pairing. I can't speak to other brands of openers, but the link the previous poster gave you has a lot of helpful info.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV
409 Posts
there is also a training button on back of the garage door opener motor. If you push it , you have 30 secs to run back to your car to hit one of the three buttons to program it

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,843 Posts
Pretty sure you still need a remote to do the initial program, the training button is for programming the rolling code portion. I just programmed mine, followed step by step and it was a new opener so I had the remote but I'm not sure it can be done without a remote. In fact, the Homelink FAQ even says you HAVE to have a handheld remote to initiate programming.
HomeLink; Home automation,Wireless control system, universal transceiver, RF control, Home security, smart home, vehicle to home, home automation, remote control lighting and home control

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
there is also a training button on back of the garage door opener motor. If you push it , you have 30 secs to run back to your car to hit one of the three buttons to program it
My recollection is you needed the hand held remote to get started and the red button on the opener was to sync the rolling code. A single button remote for a Genie is about $12 at Home Depot or Lowes and handy as a back up anyway.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Limited
66 Posts
Homelink learns the transmission frequency from the remote. There is no other way it knows what frequency to transmit. Then, if you have a rolling code, you press the programming button on the garage motor unit to pair the car Homelink transmitter to garage motor unit. IF you know the frequency (should be on the motor unit receiver) you could borrow a remote from a neighbor if it is the same frequency to program Homelink. Then you just have to do the pairing.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Let’s get to the basics first, as alluded to what/which GD opener do you have (they are not all equal) so the forum can narrow it down. Rolling/wireless can have a maximum number of remotes it can read, at the very least you should zero/reset the opener to cancel/deactivate all remotes for it (for home security).

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,843 Posts
Not to be argumentative but according to the FAQ I linked to (on the Homelink website), it doesn't matter WHAT GDO you have, unless you have at least one working or compatible remote you can NOT program Homelink. You need to have SOMETHING for the Homelink system to get initial learning information from before doing the rolling code learning (if applicable).

I agree that the OP should see if they can find a remote reset procedure if there is one, so they can help prevent a previous owner coming by and letting thierself in.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
I found both my Chamberlains have a max 4 remotes ea, it will kick out 1 of 4 if you program a 5th (the HL is still a remote).
Agreed that no doesn’t matter in this case, since you’re paring the HL. It matters the opposite way, when I added a wireless keypad it kicked out my Accord HL. So I deleted 1 of the then 5 to preserve the HL. It’s basically security against cloning, and resetting the GDO brings it to its plain state (so you have an operation/security basis).

·
Registered
2011 OB Limited
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I bought a remote for the garage door opener, it was $40 bucks for that stupid thing. They had a good selection too but whatever, I needed it anyways. The only garage door opener this detached garage had was inside the house, mounted on the wall. Now I can pull in without getting out of my car, going in the house, pulling in...you get the point. The one thing I find lame about HomeLink, the car has to have the keys in the ignition. I've already wanted to just pop open the car door and open the garage but then I realized I need the car keys to do this anyways...

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
So I bought a remote for the garage door opener, it was $40 bucks for that stupid thing. They had a good selection too but whatever, I needed it anyways. The only garage door opener this detached garage had was inside the house, mounted on the wall. Now I can pull in without getting out of my car, going in the house, pulling in...you get the point. The one thing I find lame about HomeLink, the car has to have the keys in the ignition. I've already wanted to just pop open the car door and open the garage but then I realized I need the car keys to do this anyways...
Car manufactures do it differently my Subaru cuts power to the mirror/homelink when the ignition is off. My wife's Maxima has Homelink buttons that work regardless. One consideration, if she left her car out unlocked, anyone could open our garage door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So basically I just bought a home, and the previous owner didn't have the wireless garage door remote controls, and the OB instructions call for using those for pairing the OB HomeLink buttons on the mirror... Does anyone know how to do this without the remote? I was hoping this would be easy and I'd rather not spend money on a new remote control.

Step by Step instructions would be much appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.