Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
05 OBXT, 17 Type R, 12 STi
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last week I picked up this super clean 05 Outback XT. The car was well maintained and used as an Auto X car. Im basically make a build thread to log my pictures, data, issues, etc with the car as I venture to return it to stock and apply my own tastes.

Little about me, Im from Newfoundland and not a stranger to cars or subarus. Currently building a 2012 Sti sedan if anyone wants the build thread to that just let me know :) also have a 17 Type R with a few little mods.

But anyways the OBXT as it sits right now

Enkei EDR9 wheels
BC BR coilovers
4.11 gears
Upgraded front and rear sway bars (still trying to get the name)
All bushings upgraded to polyurethane
Group N engine mounts
Group N Transmission Mount
Custom solid pitch mount
OMP steering wheel
Sparco quick release hub
Sabelt Racing Harnesses
Custom Harness Bar
Invidia UEL Header
Invidia Upipe
Invidia Downpipe
Invidia Catback Exhaust
Cobb Access Port V1
Custom Tune
07 STi brake conversion
ARP extended lugs and converted to 5x114.3
Stainless Steel Braided Lines
Brembo Pads and rotors

Most of the interior was stripped as well for weight savings

So end goal here is to find a full interior and get it installed, reinstall curtain air bags, fix fuel line leak, head gasket and will be refreshing the whole block, removed most of the exhaust and go back to stock and tackle some more unseen issues im sure

Some pictures of when I got the car

and yes the hood is popped haha

So this coming week I hope to start tackling the interior and trying to find the carpet, roof liner and oem momo steering wheel as well as fix the fuel line, relocate gas cap latch and go about sound deadening

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,331 Posts
Good luck! You've got quite a task ahead of you, going back to stock, but a few good part-outs should net you the interior parts you need.

Curious about the 4.11 swap: necessity? or for FD gearing?

Also, the non-centered wheels are not surprising: no mention of removing the OB-related suspension spacers/brackets. Typical problem when lifting/lowering outside the factory range. If you plan on staying that low, pull the blocks and swap for Legacy parts where needed.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,049 Posts
Man, as it sits, that looks like it would've been a heck of a ride. But I can respect wanting to take it back to stock. I can imagine it's quite a sleeper.
I don't know if the cost of shipping and all to the Great White North would make it worthwhile, but I have my stock Momo steering wheel and airbag in a box from when I upgraded to a later version with radio controls.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck! You've got quite a task ahead of you, going back to stock, but a few good part-outs should net you the interior parts you need.

Curious about the 4.11 swap: necessity? or for FD gearing?

Also, the non-centered wheels are not surprising: no mention of removing the OB-related suspension spacers/brackets. Typical problem when lifting/lowering outside the factory range. If you plan on staying that low, pull the blocks and swap for Legacy parts where needed.
Def quite a task to under go hah I have the header, uppipe and downpipe sold already which is awesome. So that should get me my clutch and flywheel and interior for sure.

The gears where put in for auto x for what I assume would be shorter gears and would be better for auto x

I think ill try staying this low and see what issues I have, worse come to worse ill lift it a little but if its harsh ill go back to oem suspension hah as for the blocks ill check into that to see if he had it already done

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, as it sits, that looks like it would've been a heck of a ride. But I can respect wanting to take it back to stock. I can imagine it's quite a sleeper.
I don't know if the cost of shipping and all to the Great White North would make it worthwhile, but I have my stock Momo steering wheel and airbag in a box from when I upgraded to a later version with radio controls.
There prob wont be a whole lot changing suspension wise so ill def let you know how the ride is haha

def a bit of a sleeper I like it hah

I actually went to my local parts upick place and found two full interior and a oem steering wheel with the air bag in it. So next week im hoping to get in and get all that

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As for my update for the past few days.

Some more pictures of the car to show the condition

So first thing I did was unhook the harnesses and removed those along with the harness bar, all it was, was 4 bolts. Very simple to remove

removed the steering wheel as well

Some pictures of the surface rust on the drivers side

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then I popped the drivers chair out

Got the grinder and sand wheel and took off what I could with that. Going to go back with a dremmel and sand wheel to get the tight areas. Something come up so I couldn't finish it that day

So next thing Ill do is replace the floor drain holes and reseal them and picked up a few cans of rubberized gravel guard that ill coat the floors with to help with durability and sound (maybe)

Also taped around the headlights to sand down and buff as well. Ordered a 3M headlight film to help with hazing and protection and yellow fog light tint. So that should be here this week as well

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,331 Posts
The gears where put in for auto x for what I assume would be shorter gears and would be better for auto x
That's the confusing part; the factory trans is 4.444. Granted, first would be a bit less useful, but most 4.111 trans have a nearly identical first ratio. I'm leaning more toward HPDE (track days) usage... or it was what was available when the original died.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the confusing part; the factory trans is 4.444. Granted, first would be a bit less useful, but most 4.111 trans have a nearly identical first ratio. I'm leaning more toward HPDE (track days) usage... or it was what was available when the original died.
Yea im not quite sure what the reasoning was to that lol I mean our auto x courses are very small so we only stay in 2nd maybe reach 3rd from time to time

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ordered a clutch and flywheel. Hoping to get the interior this thursday Fix the fuel leak over the weekend and maybe get the inside sprayed

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, got some more time spent at it.

So Thursday past I went into our local parts u pick and got a full interior for the car. Minus headliner which I will have to order one because the outback I have has a moonroof and the one I scrapped does not hah anyways so yesterday I threw a few hours at it.

Picked up my gasket kit and my clutch was dropped off. (Will grab pics of the clutch tonight) gasket kit is for an ej257 bit all will work on the 255, ill just have gaskets left over hah

Got the back hatch piece in (Forgot to grab the top piece so ill have to make another trip for that)

Little before pic

So this is the seat belt and seat brackets

and the back view of it with the plastic piece that the side panels mount too

and this is where the belt mounts to the floor, that big threaded hole takes a 14mm bolt. Hole is right in front of the wheel well

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So this is the seat belt mechanism, I find it best that you take apart and clean out that ball bearing from any dirt to itll sit perfect in there. All it is to take out is 4 plastic pins in the corners and use a trim removal tool to pop off the cover.

Mounted to the side of the car

and ran up through the bracket

then you can mount the side panels. Take 2 10mm bolts and a few screws that go into plastic inserts on the body

do the same thing for the other side

Now the carpet paneling have plastic push clips that keep the carpet in place, inserts right down through the Styrofoam pieces

Carpet all mounted

Cover ran over the top to make sure it worked haha

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next I moved onto the rear door panels. Not much to mounting them. All push in clips. Make sure to remove the outer trim around the door handle. The outer trim sits over the door panel. I just need to get the door handle trim

Next I got the OEM steering wheel mounted up too it. The part number weren't the same but they used the same connectors so should work hah

Little bit of trickery for this. Where the wires where cut on the old steering wheel to mount the aftermarket wheel. I had to replace the steering clock which can be a bit of messing around but not horrible.

So before you do this next task make sure to disconnect the battery and make sure the wheels are straight for the steering clock
So first there are two (I believe T30) torx screws on the sides and a Philips screw underneath on the steering column cover. The bottom piece comes off easily... the bottom not so much hah I left the top piece on. Next, you can haul down the air bag, disconnect the 3 connectors and remove the air bag. Next use a 17mm and take the nut of the steering wheel hub and remove the steering wheel. After that there is 2 big connectors located further back towards the firewall on the bottom of the steering column, then undo the 4 small Philips screws and take the steering clock out

When installing the new one there is an arrow on the clock that has to line up with the steering column. Once the arrows are matched place some piece of tape to keep it in place and then follow the reverse order hah

Wheel back on and just about ready to finish install.

Only issue I had was the ground wire piece broke off. Tried to sodder it back on but it would not stick lol so I put on a new connection and used the nut to ground it out

Piece that broke

Place it mounts

and bolted down

·
Registered
09 OB
26 Posts
Quite a project you’re taking on. Great to follow along and awesome documentation you’ve got. I’m sure it’ll help others at some point.

Hello fellow Canuck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quite a project you’re taking on. Great to follow along and awesome documentation you’ve got. I’m sure it’ll help others at some point.

Hello fellow Canuck!
Hahah heyy

Yea I always try to do good documentation and from looking up online doesn't seem to be much info on this kinda stuff haha

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well tried to get some stuff done in the past few days but ran into some more issues (ill explain later down)

So first off I taped up the connections and couldn't really get floor plugs so I improvised and fiberglassed over the holes

Once I got the holes done and it all dried in I got the floor painted with a rubberized gravel guard

Ran the gas cover cable to the driver side again but got no picture haha

Next I got the carpet out and cleaned it up

Before

After

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Next I got the side curtain airbags put up

Starting from the back

So this is where I started noticing exactly what had been cut. So the connections for the side curtain airbags, 4 side impact sensors and driver belt connections where cut. So I went into the local parts upick and cut the connections out of that to use. Once I got home and wired in a dozen or so wires I found a couple more things that where cut. So next days off im going to grab a full harness out of another outback and install the whole harness. Im hoping that will work and just have to reset the airbag lights.

Sized up the fuel line leak and its the line going to the sender unit on the drivers side so might take a better look at that and get that done. But really hoping next week to reinstall the harness and get the carpets, front seatbelts and other plastics in.

Also going to attempt to cut the headliner myself and see how it turns out. If I **** it up ill grab the other headliner hah

Clutch and flywheel came in and bearings should be in this week.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
320 Posts
When you pulled the carpet out, was it glued down? When I tried to run my remote amp wire down the center tunnel, the carpet did not want to pull off. And I dont keep any of my adhesive for interior at home. So I ended up running it down the driver side along the door sill area.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you pulled the carpet out, was it glued down? When I tried to run my remote amp wire down the center tunnel, the carpet did not want to pull off. And I dont keep any of my adhesive for interior at home. So I ended up running it down the driver side along the door sill area.
Nope wasn't glued, I just unclipped it from the sides and broke the staples off that attach it to the side door plastics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I made some progress over the past few days, quite a bit but also ran into some delays which sucks but that's it, in it to win it here now hah

So first off I went into parts upick and got the harness. Went in and completely scrapped another outback and got just about all the harness out but the bolts keeping the seats in where seized int so I couldn't get them and forgot a breaker bar or impact gun, so the next day I brought the impact gun and had the harness out in 5 minutes lol

Anyways after that, that night I took the old harness out and placed the new one in. Noticed that one plug wasn't included on the harness from the wrecked outback but my outback had it so need to research that to find out if thatll be an issue or not. Also noticed that there is yet another connection cut that goes to the airbag module so see how that goes

So the pictures of the connections that are still cut,

This is the one going to the airbag module

This is behind the fuse panel on the drivers side

But anyways, ill go on to installing the harness, its pretty easy install honestly, everything clips in so just start from one corner and work your way up, I started with the back. Plugged it into the side curtain air bags and went from there. Going up through youll run into 4 side impact sensors (2 on each side) one will be before the passengers doors and the other is mounted on the pillar separating the front and rear passenger sections. then once you reach the front section under the dash they'll be this big white plastic piece mounted in the car, its best to pry that pice out, that way you can access the connections a lot easier. Picture below

Once that's mounted back in, it crosses over the centre console area, bolts down there as well. Only thing I have left to do that that section of the harness is to wire in the connections for the fuel pump and sender unit

Next I put the carpet back in. So this is def best done with the centre console out and the side plactics under the dash that join to the centre console. Once you have the parpet in place there will be these white plastics that cover the wiring harness along the side of the car. I stapled the carpet to that plastic to make it more secure

The black plastics then just clip in place after that.

Next I moved onto getting the front seatbelts reinstalled. This wasn't all that hard, just have to sit down and size it up on how the seatbelt runs through it all. So first step is to mount the seat belt mechanism, there is only one way it sits which is perfect hah so bolt in those two bolts

and with these mechanisms the second bolt which goes straight up and through the plastic and then comes back down to mount. So the drivers side mounts where the mechanism mounts but the passenger side mounts to the side of the seat itself

There is a black metal bracket that mounts between the seatbeal itself and mounts to the pillar, its two push pins and 3 10mm bolts

then you can mount the plastics on tops, that simply pushs pins and one 10mm bolt behind the airbag tab that comes out

got the rear belt clips mounts and seat brackets on

and then got the front seats in and everything bolted up and in

1 - 20 of 45 Posts