Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend I got around to retrofitting/upgrading the original Halogen projector headlights in my 2016 Outback by replacing/upgrading both the projectors and OE C-Light. The C-Light/Halo now acts as both the DRL and front turn signal since it's a switchback LED. The stock halogen projector was replaced with a Bi-LED unit that acts as both low and high-beam.

I will post more photos and some notes about the process later, but for now here's a few photos.

I used the very impressive Morimoto M-LED 2.0 Bi-Led Projectors that I already had from a previous project mounted with an adaptor from Lightwerkz , Diode Dynamic LED Switchback C-Light kit.

The stock halogen projectors in this generation Outback and Legacy have the same mounting bolt pattern and size as the RX350 Bi-Xenon Projector (Non-AFS?). The adaptor I purchased from Lightwerkz wasn't a perfect fit inside our headlights, but was able to work with minor modification. Other projectors such as the Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-Xenon should work with a different adaptor that Lightwerkz has available. It's my understanding that the RX350 Non-AFS would be a direct swap, but I wasn't able to confirm or test myself.

The only issue to resolve is that even with the DRL resistor disconnected the high-beams of the M-LED Projectors are still triggered, reconnecting the halogen bulb confirms the High Beam as DRL should be disabled, but the LED with lower draw is triggered anyway.

Links:

Front of 2016 Subaru Outback showing different in lights

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Nice! The output of those looks better than the subaru LED implementation.

For the wiring to the new units, did you use a pre made adapter, or did you custom splice the wiring?

Removing the DRL resistor only stops that ground path out of the headlight. The input for high beam will still be there if you have either high beams or the DRL function requested.

As long as you were using the same ground path for the high beams, then removing that resistor should work. Points back to the wiring for the new headlamp. Did you use the same ground output from the original headlamp high beam?

The ground paths are paired to the separate functions on that light (halogen). Here is the list of the ground pin, and then the input power pin for the four different things on the halogen models

pins:
1 - 5 : high beam
2 - 6 : low beam
3 -7 : clearance light
4 -8 : turn signal

pins are numbered like this if you are looking at the plug on the harness (not the headlight), with the locking tab at the top…

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@walker That's good to know and makes sense. I didn't use an adaptor. The drivers for the LED projectors has 9005/9006 style inputs so I was able to connect the OE connectors directly to that. I was going to break out the meter again, but had enough for the day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts