Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I scanned the forum but could really find what I'm looking for. I have a 2001 ob wagon that I recently converted HID's in the headlights and fogs. I did this with the intention of putting in projector style housings. (I've done this before in a mustang and they turned out awesome!) but is it just me or does this specific model of ob wagon not have any aftermarket options or what? I am very surprised at what little I could find. I could not even find a cheap pair of the projector style housings on ebay. I know they exist... somewhere, on the JDM or something. My question is: does anyone know where I can find these? JDM or otherwise? I have looked into buying projectors, throwing the covers in my oven and doing the replacement, but honestly it just looks like too much work and I would probably end up ruining something.

Any idea subie gurus?

--dcyberjake

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
Somebody was just selling a set of those, look in the classifieds. Sooner the better, HIDs in reflector buckets are dangerous and look a bit ghetto anyway.

Not many aftermarket options for these cars- the imprezas got all the love instead.

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Somebody was just selling a set of those, look in the classifieds. Sooner the better, HIDs in reflector buckets are dangerous and look a bit ghetto anyway.

Not many aftermarket options for these cars- the imprezas got all the love instead.
True that! Darn Imprezas. The lights look good, they are aimed appropriately and luckily the reflective style housings are designed well enough to where I could only blind someone as much as a normal halogen could. There isn't a ton of broken light, the pattern is even. But I wanted to do it right with projectors. I'd post a pic for you if I could. At this point all that is difference is the color, the lights disbursement and visual field is exactly the same.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
I've been looking around myself, and there doesn't seem to be an OEM projector unit for the BE/BH cars.

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
The consensus around here is ebay. Helps if you can find a trustworthy, good source of such stuff. Reading seller ratings and reviews is a must.

However...
What I meant in my previous post is that I haven't found an example of an OEM projector for the BE/BH generation Subaru Outback/Legacy/Lancaster anywhere in the world, ever. As in never any version from the factory. I also haven't found any signs of a premade, pure plug and play aftermarket unit. All I find is retrofits like the ones linked above. I'd suggest contacting someone who has done such a retrofit and seeing if you can pay them to do one for you. There's a member or two here that have done them for others. I noted in the thread above that starting with a single bulb style Legacy unit and using a hi/lo projector unit would probably be best.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
If you want to go the projector route, and are willing to sacrifice some output, you could use the Mini D2S or Mini H1 projectors instead of the larger FX-R that I used. Both units are much smaller and easier to install. There will still be some Dremel use involved if you're using Outback lights instead of Legacy units. Those are going to be the most cost effective and easiest to obtain. User Cardoc installed some MH1 units in his Outback lights. You could PM him about more details on his installation.

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The consensus around here is ebay. Helps if you can find a trustworthy, good source of such stuff. Reading seller ratings and reviews is a must.

However...
What I meant in my previous post is that I haven't found an example of an OEM projector for the BE/BH generation Subaru Outback/Legacy/Lancaster anywhere in the world, ever. As in never any version from the factory. I also haven't found any signs of a premade, pure plug and play aftermarket unit. All I find is retrofits like the ones linked above. I'd suggest contacting someone who has done such a retrofit and seeing if you can pay them to do one for you. There's a member or two here that have done them for others. I noted in the thread above that starting with a single bulb style Legacy unit and using a hi/lo projector unit would probably be best.
I have seen 00-04 model obw with those projector headlamps, but ONLY on the JDM, and the gap between the states and Japan seems to be a large one. I have also considered asking around for someone skilled enough to retro a set for me. My fear there is, though I want to invest some cash, the 250-300 I was thinking about spending this mod can easily start doubling or tripling by that point. I am still in college and my car is the only thing I own so I take dear sweet care of it and like investing in new mods, but I am limited by my budget. I can only work so many hours to pay for my expensive hobbies!

Thanks for the suggestion anyhow. I keep praying to god someday I'll just get on ebay and someone will have produced a plug and play option that is reasonably priced.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
The only other projectors I have seen on gen 2 Outbacks have all been retrofits. There are JDM HID housings available, but they are reflector based and do not have projectors.

If you curretly have HID bulbs installed in your reflector housings (Not advised), you could just buy the Mini H1 projectors from TRS for $120. The bulbs and ballasts you've already installed can be reused as the stock low beam is an H1. You'll have to cut a bigger hole in the back of the reflector to pass the base of the projector through. Not nearly as much cutting as I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts