Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited - Twilight Blue
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

First post here, and hopefully the first of many for I've decided to purchase an Outback! Unfortunately, that decision only opens up new possibilites. I'm hoping that some of you can help me hone in on the perfect ride. Thanks everyone in advance for taking the time to post!

I decided on an Outback because it was an AWD with good gas mileage, and i love the look of the new body style. So, 2010-2012 4 Liter is my year range. I'd love a 2013, but it's out of my price range.

Other things that are important to me are Leather, roof, and the other luxury features, making the Limited the choice.

So I've narrowed it down to a 2010-2012 4 Cyl 2.5 Limited Auto. Getting there. But what else should I be looking for?

Is it worth the extra couple grand for the 2012? Looking at the cars101 link thats thrown around here often, i see that there's not much thats changed from 2010 to 2012. Folding mirrors, maybe a dimming rearview...not deal breakers.

What i did see in the 2012 is the Illumation Packages and the Personal Package? 19" Alloys. A few other things.

Should I just find the right deal without worrying about those things? Is there some other things i SHOULD worry about and make sure i get? I dont want to purchase one and then find out for the same price, if i looked harder, i could have found a better one.

Here's the one i test drove today:

Used 2010 Subaru Outback For Sale | Stratham NH

I dont think that we can talk price on here, so if not, can you point me in the right direction to find out of this is a good deal or what i should expect to pay?

Thanks so much for all your help! Hoping to buy this weekend :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
With MY 2010 and early 2011 getting a shaker is always an issue. Make sure it's not a buyback with the problem. Test drive up to 80mph.

For me it is worth a couple of grand for a 2012. The shakes will not be an issue and the mileage should be fairly low, probably with warranty left. If less than 36k miles you can also still buy the SOA extended warrantys.

The illumination option is available on all Gen4 OB's. Nav option is panned pretty much on all Gen4 years. Interior trim and options are pretty much the same except for the new '13s. The folding mirrors are really nice and there is a kit for the 2010's. I've never seen anything on 19" wheels.

My advice would be to buy the newest MY with the lowest mileage you can afford. Good luck hunting.

EDIT: I just checked your link and the price seems high but that could be me out of touch. You are in 2013 Premium territory for that price. Several people have put leather on a premium for around $1000 and been very happy. Something to think about.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Hey everyone!

First post here, and hopefully the first of many for I've decided to purchase an Outback! Unfortunately, that decision only opens up new possibilites. I'm hoping that some of you can help me hone in on the perfect ride. Thanks everyone in advance for taking the time to post!

I decided on an Outback because it was an AWD with good gas mileage, and i love the look of the new body style. So, 2010-2012 4 Liter is my year range. I'd love a 2013, but it's out of my price range.

Other things that are important to me are Leather, roof, and the other luxury features, making the Limited the choice.

So I've narrowed it down to a 2010-2012 4 Cyl 2.5 Limited Auto. Getting there. But what else should I be looking for?

Is it worth the extra couple grand for the 2012? Looking at the cars101 link thats thrown around here often, i see that there's not much thats changed from 2010 to 2012. Folding mirrors, maybe a dimming rearview...not deal breakers.

What i did see in the 2012 is the Illumation Packages and the Personal Package? 19" Alloys. A few other things.

Should I just find the right deal without worrying about those things? Is there some other things i SHOULD worry about and make sure i get? I dont want to purchase one and then find out for the same price, if i looked harder, i could have found a better one.

Here's the one i test drove today:

Used 2010 Subaru Outback For Sale | Stratham NH

I dont think that we can talk price on here, so if not, can you point me in the right direction to find out of this is a good deal or what i should expect to pay?

Thanks so much for all your help! Hoping to buy this weekend :)
I found a "special appearance" and "all weather" (or whatever it's called) options to be most valuable additions to the 2013 Limited that I have. Outside rear view mirrors are heated; seats are heated; saddle brown leather seats are great! Those are (at my age) the most valuable options.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I would cross shop new models with used ones. Used car prices are at an all time high, and with the financing deals on new cars, the price difference might be less than you'd think.

IMO the 2013 is worth it for the upgraded engine, tranny, suspension and roof rails. It seems the price difference is usually within 10%, which isn't much considering a new car has a known history and full warranty.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
i assume you made a typo. the 2013 has very many improvements over the 2010-12 models. i usually advise against buying used, but sometimes its a good decision.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,179 Posts
OBnube;480041 The folding mirrors are really nice and there is a kit for the 2010's..[/QUOTE said:
What are the folding mirrors I see people talk about? My 2003 side mirrors fold inward towards the car already.
What is different about the folding mirrors now - I see people talk about this.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The 2010's have fixed mirrors guessing thats what they are pointing out. Mine are fixed they haven't caused any drama yet despite my best efforts to knock them off the car.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,179 Posts
The 2010's have fixed mirrors guessing thats what they are pointing out. Mine are fixed they haven't caused any drama yet despite my best efforts to knock them off the car.
Oh I didnt realize some years had mirrors that didnt fold at all. Wonder why they would bother to take that away if they already had it.

That said - I have gone 240K and it was only the other day I was driving down a narrow street with all the garbage cans out for pickup and my mirror nailed. I think thats the first time Ive hit something with them. Glad they fold though.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
779 Posts
Oh I didnt realize some years had mirrors that didnt fold at all. Wonder why they would bother to take that away if they already had it.

That said - I have gone 240K and it was only the other day I was driving down a narrow street with all the garbage cans out for pickup and my mirror nailed. I think thats the first time Ive hit something with them. Glad they fold though.

And that is the difference in GEN 4.1 outside of the dreaded shaker.

I would search based price, condition, and mileage in that order and buy the vehicle from a private seller if I wanted a deal on a GEN 4.1.

If you got the ducets go for for the new engine and suspension. Hopefully Subaru wont have to adjust any engine componentry in the next couple years to better fit it to the Outback GEN 4.2.

There is always something better in the next marketing campaign, but a new engine and improved suspension could be worthy bumps to your price point.

I just popped a strut at 35k, so a good going over is advised on any used vehicle. Heck I would even check the ATF before I drove anything off a dealer at this point. Don't take anything on the vehicle for granted unless you like any type of surprise.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited - Twilight Blue
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the great help everyone. My problem is i'm approved for 20k and i got about 3k worth of trade. So finding a brand new 2013 with really anything other than a base or premium model with anything more than the basics is not likely. I think i'd prefer a loaded 4.1 Gen to a stripped 4.2. The trick for me is going to be finding the RIGHT car that's been babied.

Other than KBB and sites like that, where is a good place for me to check prices on what people are paying for used cars? KBB thinks the car i linked to in the OP should be $28K! Crazy.

The hunt continues! there just doesnt seem to be a lot of inventory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts