Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6MT w/AWP
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm a n00b to the forum and new to Subaru. I'm looking to buy an Outback (2010-2013), but I need some honest opinion and not some BS from the dealerships.

I drove a 1996 Toyota Tacoma that had almost a half million miles. Loved the s#!% out of that truck, but some lady didn't and pulled out in front of me and totaled it. I'm looking for the same reliability and handling in snow, but better gas mileage. I'm going with Subaru because I think I can get all this with the amount of cash I have on hand. What should I look out for when I see Outbacks that vary so much in price but mileage, options, condition all seem the same? Is it really that dependent on the dealership? Would you go with a 2010 with about 50k miles or spring for a 2013 for $2k-3k more? etc

Thanks for any help ahead of time. Looking forward to driving such a great car!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If you never towed with the Tacoma - didn't have a camper on it - or did foot plus deep creek crossings - then the OB is plenty capable for your needs. I replaced a 4runner with my first Subaru which was a Legacy GT sedan. We towed boats all over the west coast and did lots of logging road trips to far away trail heads and epic snow ski trips. Car did it all and better than the 4runner given the GT could haul ass around corners ;-)

Today we have the 2010 OB 2.5 CVT which we tow with and do all the same stuff the old car did. Just works better with kids and a dog given you can't stuff a 75lb doberman in the trunk of the GT. We also have a Sequoia which just replaced a Landcruiser both were/are a 3rd vehicle for transporting lots of family when they are visiting.

The Subaru is our primary road trip, daily kid hauler, Commuter car, and camping rig when its just the parents, two kids and the dog.

So if your not crossing deep stream beds - or dreaming of hauling a RV chances are the OB will make you very happy. You'll love the mileage and the vastly superior comfort and ride over the Tacoma. Great truck by the way!!! Would love to have one with a 4x4 pop up on it for some serious all season remote camping ability.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks subiesailor. Yeah, I used to get intense with my truck at times.. lots of great trails around the Reno/Tahoe area that are fun for as-close-to-rally-driving-as-I-can-get type driving. But, I'm older and wiser now and am just looking to get around and still enjoy the ride.

I have my eye on two vehicles, both 2010. A 3.6R Premium auto transmission w/ ~50k miles, or a 2.5i Premium + All weather + Moonroof 6-speed manual with 36k miles. They're both priced at about 22k. First: what gives? And second, which would you take?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I would pony up a couple grand more and get a 2013 2.5 Premium. New warranty, better ride, timing chain engine to name a few positives. Also with the 2010's and early '11s you have to worry about getting a shaker. Subie has .9% financing at times so keep your cash in your pocket and use theirs.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Thanks subiesailor. Yeah, I used to get intense with my truck at times.. lots of great trails around the Reno/Tahoe area that are fun for as-close-to-rally-driving-as-I-can-get type driving. But, I'm older and wiser now and am just looking to get around and still enjoy the ride.

I have my eye on two vehicles, both 2010. A 3.6R Premium auto transmission w/ ~50k miles, or a 2.5i Premium + All weather + Moonroof 6-speed manual with 36k miles. They're both priced at about 22k. First: what gives? And second, which would you take?
We are down in SF - and head up there often the 2.5 gets a altitude sickness so if your pushing 6000+ lake level and higher you might find the 3.6 more livable up there given your up there all the time etc. Went from the 2001 2.5 5spd MT to the 2.5 CVT - 48K on the CVT now. Really like the CVT the newer 6spd the throttle response was a big let down with the manual really bogs down hard on steep hill starts with an empty car - we test drove a manual 6spd twice given all our cars were MT at the time. Wife and I both were very disappointed and went for the CVT given it was light years better than the old 4spd AT we test drove back in 01 hence the 5spd MT then.

The CVT is a great match to the OB - gives you good hill climbing ability and fantastic gear ratio power management. Hands down very smart move on Subarus part.

We did two days at Donner lake - then across Kingsbury Grade to 395 - tioga pass down through Yosemite. Stayed in Groveland then back up to the valley on a 5day trip last summer. Two mt bikes on the roof with roof box center - we filled up in South lake when we headed up Kingsbury grade. Didn't fill up again till we drove home from Groveland 4days later. 32mpg! The CVT helps address the Altitude sickness with plenty of gear ratios to keep the car going nice - but she still starts to get a tad flat above 6000ft. The only reason I would go 3.6 is if I were living 6000+ ft up. Out side of that the 2.5 will do all the same stuff the 3.6 does just not as snappy and not a stop light drag wagon.

Used car prices are stupid high. Used car values started to sky rocket in 09 they are still going up. We paid 28K for brand new limited - cvt - 22K for a used base model doesn't really sound worth it to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
22k for a used base model certainly doesn't sound worth it when the dealership is trying to get you into a brand new (mileage: 4) 2013 for, literally, $2400 more than the 2010 with the exact same packages (but more standard options?). This will be my first time buying a car from a dealership and it's frustrating as **** already.

I live in Reno (obviously) at about 4500ft to Mammoth Lakes at about 8000ft on a regular basis for skiing, climbing, etc. I'd love to have the 6-cyl power, but after test-driving the 2.5i and being "older and wiser" as stated above, I'm not sure I need the extra power; maybe the 2013 2.5 will be fine. Also, I would love the manual transmission, does that mean I'm a control freak?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
22k for a used base model certainly doesn't sound worth it when the dealership is trying to get you into a brand new (mileage: 4) 2013 for, literally, $2400 more than the 2010 with the exact same packages (but more standard options?). This will be my first time buying a car from a dealership and it's frustrating as **** already.

I live in Reno (obviously) at about 4500ft to Mammoth Lakes at about 8000ft on a regular basis for skiing, climbing, etc. I'd love to have the 6-cyl power, but after test-driving the 2.5i and being "older and wiser" as stated above, I'm not sure I need the extra power; maybe the 2013 2.5 will be fine. Also, I would love the manual transmission, does that mean I'm a control freak?
LOL not really the 2.5 out sells the 3.6 like 10 to 1 for a reason. It gets the job done and does pretty well.

If its of any interest the CVT is far more sure footed than our MT subaru was. The issue with the MT is that it runs 50/50 front rear and lacks any sort of intelligence on whats going on. That classic Donner pass dropping into Truckee from the west when its snowing? The MT subaru you could step out the rear end just by letting off the gas in a sudden manner the 50/50 split would break the rear tires loose till you gave it a touch of throttle to step it back in or pressed the clutch in. The CVT has far more smarts and keeps the car planted without any special thinking.

Having said that the MT was nice I used the rear step out feature to wave off tailgaters given as long as you knew to stay away from the brakes you could swing the tail all day long and bring it back with just a very light throttle touch. Worked great but plenty of people put their MT subarus in the snow bank when they hit the brake when the rear steps out.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Test drive the CVT up a decent climb - the CVT is fantastic in the mountains. Far more ratio options than the MT which keeps the little 2.5 in a very happy place for power. The paddle shifters are nice for holding pre set gear ratios more or less to keep speed checked down hill etc. That Yosemite down to Groveland run - 3rd -4th paddle shift gear all the way down the hill with nearly zero throttle - probably why we hit 32mpg on that trip.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
I have my eye on ... 2010 ... 2.5i Premium + All weather
+ Moonroof 6-speed manual with 36k miles. ...at about 22k.
Exactly like my 2011 2.5i Premium w AWP, moonroof, 6MT.
I paid $23,500 + tax & tags in Jan 2012 (year-end leftover)
MSRP ~$28,100 (incl. factory installed wheel arch moldings).

Currently just under 15k miles, and Subaru USA is offering
me $21,200 for it under the Gauranteed Trade-in Program.

That might be attractive -- except that Subaru eliminated
that equipment combo from the 2013 model line. There is
NO WAY to get a 2013 OB with moonroof & manual tranny.

IMO, $22k is much too high for a 3-year-old 2.5i w 36k mi.

good luck,

Looby

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I would recommend getting the newest and lowest mileage you can afford.

Subarus hold their value so much that you will find that a brand new 2013 is not much more than a 2010-12. I traded my 2012 for a 2013 and the dealer I traded it to is selling the 2012 for almost as much as I paid for my 2013 with even more options!

The 2013 had greatly improved suspension, but coming from a 500,000mi Toyota anything is probably an improvement. :)

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Btwvthev2 used cars, the 3.6r is a better deal.I think the 2010 3.6r premium comes STD with AWP package. At $22k asking-list price, I bet you can negotiate down to $20k. Maybe start your counter offer at $19k. The 3.6r with auto is gonna hv a better resale value than the 2.5 mt when you to sell it years later.

The 3.6r was probably $30k when new the 2.5i MT is probably a $26 K car back in 2010.
If you can get it for $20k, $10k off or 1/3 of the original value for a 3 yrs old car....that a good deal.

All this is assuming the car is sound and no issue, you don't mind the 4mpg hit. Please do factor in interest diff. (New vs used car) and sales tax diff . If you're in high tax state.
Good luck deciding...

Oh,don't expect the 3.6r to be a super rally car performer like a wrx-sti... if you do, you will be very disappointed .

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
All this is assuming the car is sound and no issue, you don't mind the 4mpg hit. Please do factor in interest diff. (New vs used car) and sales tax diff . If you're in high tax state.
Good luck deciding...

Oh,don't expect the 3.6r to be a super rally car performer like a wrx-sti... if you do, you will be very disappointed .
Also worth figuring in Excise tax if you're still thinking about new VS used. In MA, you'd be paying tax on a value based on 90% of the MSRP for a 2013, while you'd be paying on a value based on 25% for a 2010, 10% for every year older than that.

Not sure how other states work it, but here that can be a pretty significant chunk of money that you'll be paying out of pocket sometime after you buy the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 2013 had greatly improved suspension, but coming from a 500,000mi Toyota anything is probably an improvement. :)
This is so true. Test driving has been an awesome experience, but with this quote in mind, it has been a curse. When I read people's complaints about the "lack of agility" on 2010-12 models and the "improved suspension" on 2013 models, I have nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh,don't expect the 3.6r to be a super rally car performer like a wrx-sti... if you do, you will be very disappointed.
haha This is definitely not what I'm looking for. If I wanted to rally a car, I wouldn't be posting here.

I test drove the 2013 3.6R Limited even though it's way out of my price range. Of course the power/response was better, but after driving the 2.5i Premium w/MT, I'm thinking that a 2.5i will be just fine for what I need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts