Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New idler pulley, new tensioner assy. fresh PS flush, all with OEM parts, and the PS is still not happy. It is obviously worst when cold and at low speed. Anything else I can do before I shell out the big bucks for a new pump? If I have to replace it it will be the 1st "major" repair that I have needed. Pull the cap off of the reservoir while it's running and see plenty of circulation, and no bubbles. I only put original parts on my car and a pump isn't cheap. Thoughts?

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,434 Posts
I don't think I saw the original complaint.

I am aware of a TSB covering power steering problems in H6 cars, not sure which vintage. I recall that it was a pressure relief valve or orifice, and it would make weird sounds at low temp startups.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I saw the original complaint.

I am aware of a TSB covering power steering problems in H6 cars, not sure which vintage. I recall that it was a pressure relief valve or orifice, and it would make weird sounds at low temp startups.
It's been an ongoing irritation that is not getting better. Original complaint 3-4 mos. ago was increasing noise (whining) from the PS system. It was time to change the other stuff anyway, and I was hoping those changes would improve the PS problem. No dice. It sounds and acts exactly like any other car I have driven that was low on PS fluid, but my reservoir is always full. A recall would be a godsend...let someone else handle it for free! But that's the problem in a nutshell rasterman.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the thread reference. However, in lieu of continually chasing this problem, I will probably bite the bullet and order another one. www.subarupartsforyou has an oem pump with all the top hoses and lines with it. It's less than $400, but with 170k on the clock and never an issue before, I shouldn't complain. Thanks for the thread reference rasterman, it was very enlightening.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
How loud is it?

There is also a possibility of a bad valve in the steering rack putting too much back pressure on the pump or the belt is slipping on the pulley. This is easily checked by spraying something like brake clean on the belt that removes any oils or you can run a 200 grit sandpaper along the ribbed portion of the belt to increase friction. If the noise subsides, its the belt.

If you don't have a glazed over serp belt, drive it a week or so and flush it again and see if more carbon comes out. Some times multiple flushes will free up the system.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
If you do need a pump after all, I found a used one from an online parts re-purposer (junk yard) for $50 for my H4 that has worked to solve a similar problem for about 30,000 miles so far. Check eBay for OEM parts. They list the mileage of the car they are breaking. They threw in the bearing and the mounting rack for free. My "new" pump had half as many miles as my existing pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts