Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback 4S3BH665527620828
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And now it is disconnected and I am pretty sure even if I reconnected it it wouldn't work. It was a charger thing, I pulled it out to use a tire inflator and it appears to have broken it for good.

Difficulty and cost of replacement for a nice working cigarette lighter?

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
375 Posts
Could just replace the console(?) that it's built on to with one from the junkyard. That's what I've done in the past.

If you want to repair what you have you could get a generic replacement at AutoZone or Advance and maybe even Walmart. Fairly easy to do just a little tedious.

·
Registered
2002 H6 Bean 4EAT ~270000
226 Posts
There is a large nut on the back that screws around the whole thing to hold it in place. You just need to remove a few dash pieces to reconnect it.

Is your heater blower fan working? If not you just blew the fuse by letting the positive of the 12v connect to ground.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a large nut on the back that screws around the whole thing to hold it in place. You just need to remove a few dash pieces to reconnect it.

Is your heater blower fan working? If not you jest blew the fuse by letting the positive of the 12v connect to ground.
All that works, the issue is this

Automotive tire Tire Finger Gas Thumb

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
10,098 Posts
You are looking at the ground tab connection in your image, BTW - it's connected to the outer socket. Is there a second terminal for the +12 V connection? I think I see part of it in your image, but not sure.

·
Super Moderator
10,098 Posts
There should be two plugs going into the socket and one into the light. It might just be covered but I only see one going into the socket.
That worried me also for what I saw in the OP's image. Here's a look at the replacement part from Subaru. You can see two spade lugs in the back of the accessory outlet; these are ground and +12 V.

Maybe the +12 V lug snapped off?
Automotive lighting Office supplies Coil spring Cable Rim

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,098 Posts
Got it - in my defense, neither image you posted previously showed the second lug.

Where did you find that little anvil I see at the base of your monitor? I really need something like that for small craft work!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it - in my defense, neither image you posted previously showed the second lug.

Where did you find that little anvil I see at the base of your monitor? I really need something like that for small craft work!
Oh, no idea lol. My Uncle owned a welding shop up until 2012, maybe it came from there? Otherwise, idk lol.

I was supposed to go somewhere the day the lighter blew as well, call it an oil forum get-together. I kind of never made it because my engine decided it wasn't going to. From ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK on start to setting a cam position sensor code a week before, that worked itself out...

And I also burned out the cig lighter on my L.L. Bean (identical car otherwise) so I'm betting it is that. I will know.. "soon."

There is also one in the back.... I checked.

·
Super Moderator
10,098 Posts
There are three total - but they have slight differences:
  1. Front dash - this is an old-fashioned cigarette lighter
  2. Front center console - accessory socket #1
  3. Rear driver side cubbyhole storage - - accessory socket #2
People do interchange their usage, as a cigarette lighter can be an accessory socket, but not vice versa. They are different.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts