Subaru Outback Forums banner

pulley replacement

8024 32
I have a 2002 OB H6. Idler pulley and tensioner pulley have been ordered from SubaruPartsForYou.com. Anybody out there who has done these replacements? Advice and tips greatly appreciated! They are listed as oem parts and are metal, not the nylon stuff. Thanks!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
sleeper

WTA inter cooled, SC is water cooled. Stock radiator and two extra coolers with pumps.
A very appropriate title. Bet you surprise a lot of folks. How much hp and torque do you think you're putting to the ground? New parts came today, sucks really bad to depend on others for a ride, even if it's one of my kids. Tensioner has a slot on the back of it with a black plastic pin in it. Bolt it on and go? Or do I need to change it in some way? Hope I can just put ot on there and go. I'm really impressed with your OB. What does your VDC think about it?

· Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
19,149 Posts
A very appropriate title. Bet you surprise a lot of folks. How much hp and torque do you think you're putting to the ground? New parts came today, sucks really bad to depend on others for a ride, even if it's one of my kids. Tensioner has a slot on the back of it with a black plastic pin in it. Bolt it on and go? Or do I need to change it in some way? Hope I can just put ot on there and go. I'm really impressed with your OB. What does your VDC think about it?
230 WHP to all 4 wheels. No issues except my transmission builder can't get his shite together. This last round the car went 63 miles before losing fluid feed to the torque converter.

I mostly ride with the VDC off so the ECM doesn't make the car jerk around with trying to control it. Traction and ABS still function with it off, so no big.

The tensioner assembly just bolts to the PS pump bracket. Plug and Play. Remove the old, install the new. Take a pic of the pin and post it. I don't recall a pin in the ones I've gotten from Subaru.

· Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
tensioner

pay attention to how those 'shield washers' come off as I think they have a front/back orientation to keep them from dragging.

you can search for a more info but I think you've got it covered.

common problem - good time to replace serpentine belt if old.
Hey Tex. You ever seen what looks like an adjustment pin on the back of a tensioner? I put a pic of it in the gallery titled "tensioner pin". I'd appreciate you looking at it and see what you think. I'm ready to get it done and put the car back on the road. Thanks.

· Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
19,680 Posts
Hey Tex. You ever seen what looks like an adjustment pin on the back of a tensioner? I put a pic of it in the gallery titled "tensioner pin". I'd appreciate you looking at it and see what you think. I'm ready to get it done and put the car back on the road. Thanks.
ask cardoc, he's seen dozens I bet, I've only seen one subaru serp. tensioner in my life and so far, haven't had to remove it from my car. lol! There are marks and an 'index' mark cast on the parts that seem to indicate the proper position. but I neither saw nor felt a pin on the one mounted on my wife's car.

also, pic still pending.

· Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah, cardoc wanted a pic as well, sucks it's still pending. Cardoc's not online though, and I'm ready to get the show on the road. Thanks for responding, I think I'll just go ahead and put the idler on and loosen the PS pump then check and see if cardoc knows. Don't want to call the stealership, ya know?

· Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
19,680 Posts
I looked around after a google image search and some tensioners shown look to have both a pin or bolt head or something on the back - sometimes 2 as well as what seems to be the end of a ribbon/coil spring sticking out the side. I suppose there could be a spring keeper that is inserted after assembly or something.

just don't mess with it and I bet everything will be OK.

· Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
19,149 Posts
I don't see any pic. I've looked for his personal gallery, the photo gallery, searched threads, post. I don't think it was uploaded.

Boxter,

When you want to add files or photos, use the "reply" button instead of the quick reply box. After you type in what you want in the written box, scroll down the page to manage attachments and click on that, click on choose file in the pop up window and then go to the pic on your comp and double click it. Then click "upload" and wait for the file to be listed in the lower window of the pop up. It will also be listed just above "manage attachments" when it uploads. The photo has to be less than 1mb or it won't load. Then click "submit reply" and it will post the pic under your comment.

The only "pin" I can think it may have is the one that rest in the PS pump bracket bung.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.