Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got two '99 outback sports. one has a bad motor with 180k miles, the other is wrecked with 72k miles.

i want to swap everything from the wrecked one over to the one with the bad motor.

my question is can i pull the motor with the trans still attached?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i hear it can be done but you need a lot of lift.

it might be easier to remove from the wreck from below. i cut away all the cross members in front of the engine, unbloted the whole thing and slid it forward.

reinstalling the same way may not be as easy. lifting the car and then lowering on to the engine / trans will require some engineering.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hear it can be done but you need a lot of lift.

it might be easier to remove from the wreck from below. i cut away all the cross members in front of the engine, unbloted the whole thing and slid it forward.

reinstalling the same way may not be as easy. lifting the car and then lowering on to the engine / trans will require some engineering.
gotcha. thats a good idea to go from the underside but not sure if i can make that work. i have basic tools, cherry picker and a floor jack.

i was told on another forum that its easier to just pull the motor first then the trans., then install the trans then the motor.

thought i would ask around just in case somebody has a trick or two that would make this swap faster.

thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I just saw Lockmedic's thread of essentially the same job: swap entire drivetrain from/to identical models. Look here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/47861-transplanting-h6.html
Post #7 is to pics; LM's solution was to jack up the front of the car on stands, and drop everything - engine, crossmember, trans, front axles - onto a floor jack. See details there.
One pic - https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-MRyKrdxp5BU/UETeHFuEwhI/AAAAAAAACWM/FCffYgRAZKI/s759/2012-09-01_12-00-28_498.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just saw Lockmedic's thread of essentially the same job: swap entire drivetrain from/to identical models. Look here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/47861-transplanting-h6.html
Post #7 is to pics; LM's solution was to jack up the front of the car on stands, and drop everything - engine, crossmember, trans, front axles - onto a floor jack. See details there.
One pic - https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-MRyKrdxp5BU/UETeHFuEwhI/AAAAAAAACWM/FCffYgRAZKI/s759/2012-09-01_12-00-28_498.jpg
****, thats crazy. i wish i could pull that off. i dont trust my little floor jack for that though.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Lol I've been accused of 'rolling in gear' on account of that thread.

I did have a trans jack with casters on all 4 wheels to support the transmission while doing that. The balance point isn't the front crossmember. . .it's probably somewhere under the front diff. . . I didn't want to chance it.

I jacked the car up as far as I could with the rollaround jack, then dropped the engine/trans/subframes out, then used the engine crane to lift the body up enough to clear the motor and set it back on the stands once I cranked the stands up quite a bit. Slid the old motor/trans out, slid the new one in, used the engine crane to lower the body back down, used the jacks to raise the engine/trans up to meet the body.

More importantly. . .Josh222: is that a freakin' STi motor in your '92 Wagon!?!?!? That's cooler than sharks with freakin' lasers on their heads!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol I've been accused of 'rolling in gear' on account of that thread.

I did have a trans jack with casters on all 4 wheels to support the transmission while doing that. The balance point isn't the front crossmember. . .it's probably somewhere under the front diff. . . I didn't want to chance it.

I jacked the car up as far as I could with the rollaround jack, then dropped the engine/trans/subframes out, then used the engine crane to lift the body up enough to clear the motor and set it back on the stands once I cranked the stands up quite a bit. Slid the old motor/trans out, slid the new one in, used the engine crane to lower the body back down, used the jacks to raise the engine/trans up to meet the body.

More importantly. . .Josh222: is that a freakin' STi motor in your '92 Wagon!?!?!? That's cooler than sharks with freakin' lasers on their heads!
much props man. like i said, i wish i could pull that off.

going to attack it tonight after work. should have the 1st one out by tomorrow night.

thanks again for all the help guys.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
i've done it before too. not a big deal, just need space.

may want to look into the rear separator plate, now is the time to replace a plastic with metal one if the 99 EJ22 has plastic ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've done it before too. not a big deal, just need space.

may want to look into the rear separator plate, now is the time to replace a plastic with metal one if the 99 EJ22 has plastic ones.
Ok, thank you very much. What and where is the rear separator plate?

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is on the back of the engine. You would have to separate the engine and transmission and then remove the flywheel or flexplate to get at it. It is the plate on the right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finished the swap late last night. I'll put some pics up later. Thanks again for the help guys. Everything went so smooth. I love working on jap vehicles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
ninja turtle
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing