1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Subaru Outback limited 4 cyclinder

we easily pulled a 2003 Coleman pop up that weighed about 2500lbs

just traded up to a 2004 Rockwood pop up that weighs closer to 3200 lbs

Am I going to damage my transmission pulling this “heavier” camper

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
448 Posts
I don't tow, and if I were it would never be with my Outback with the same drivetrain as you have. that said I'd take a gander at saying if you managed with the lighter trailer and respect what you are doing, you should be fine. Obviously the care and feeding of your current vehicle is important.

I did find this and it looks like you are good to go

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Outback Manual
64 Posts
Well that depends on any number of factors that you haven't mentioned. Is this an auto or a manual? Is the drive generally over flat terrain, or not? If auto, do you have a transmission cooler? Does the trailer have brakes?

I mean, generally, it can be done. It's outside of what the manual officially says you can do, but not by much. But don't forget that the 2700lb towing capacity includes passengers and cargo, not just the trailer (I think... someone school me if I'm wrong). My gut tells me (and don't quote me on this) that you'll be okay if you take it easy, if the terrain isn't overly hilly, and if you check your tongue weight carefully.

I recently towed what I guesstimate to be 2000lbs, without trailer brakes, in a 2012 2.5 6MT over quite a few 10% grades for a thousand miles. It wasn't fun but it was well within the car's limits. I did finally do in my clutch though.

Keep in mind that the towing capacity isn't just about the transmission, it's also very much dependent on what the frame is capable of handling.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,383 Posts
But don't forget that the 2700lb towing capacity includes passengers and cargo, not just the trailer (I think... someone school me if I'm wrong).
Towing capacity is just that, the weight of the trailer and its contents. That’s limited to 2700lb.

Tongue weight is the weight the trailer is pushing straight down on the ball. That’s limited to 200lb.

Gross vehicle max weight (I think that’s what it’s called) is the total weight allowed pushing straight down on the car. That’s the curb weight (includes full tank of gas) plus the weight of all passengers, cargo, and the tongue weight. Those numbers are printed on a door frame sticker. Be aware that there are also load limits on the tires. It’s possible you are within the max weight but are loaded so heavily in the back that the rear tires are over their load limit. In that case you need to rebalance some things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts