Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I have been working on a project to fix a nav unit. I am at the point I have everything fixed and am trying to get it all back in and working. To this point I have been working with very little wiggle room and the unit hardly comes out at all. I can't even see or really get to the back of the unit to pull the plugs. So I have avoided it since I dont think I could re-plug if i pulled it out. Which has made everything 10x more difficult. But now I discovered one of the ribbon cables back behind the CD/nav DVD players is out. And I need to reconnect it. Only way I can foresee doing it is to disconnect and pull the entire unit out so I can basically take apart the entire cage holding that piece. So my question is, am I doing something wrong? Is it really true that the unit barely comes forward because the cables in the back have no give? Shouldn't I at least be able to pull it out enough to see the back of it? I have attached a picture so you can see the extent of how little I can pull it out. I can't even get my hand back there enough to get leverage to even pull the cables if I decided to. Just seems like something isn't right.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
It should come out far enough so that you can get to the plugs and disconnect them. You may have to feel your way around them before it comes out completely.

·
Registered
'99 Outback 2.5 GT auto & '97 LegOB w/ grossly insulted 2.5
141 Posts
When manufacturers go to 'modular assembly', dilemmas such as this become quite common. The last three years of my employment, IPs were assembled into a 'module' with the steering column, & HVAC system. Replacing any component often entailed making scrap of several others, due to the lack of an economical tear down after the defect was discovered in a virtually complete vehicle. Just when you were getting used to the lack of room for repair operations, here comes a newer, more difficult process. I wouldn't be surprised if some of your cabling doesn't wind up as scrap. Sorry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
H-D,unfortunately you were 100% correct. I basically scrapped my attempt today and gave up. Everything being so interconnected so far as the metal cages/frames was bad enough. And then the lack of movement from the wiring in the back made it worse. But the biggest issue I had was the ridiculous flimsy ribbon cables and that they too had zero wiggle room. Pulling the unit apart basically pulls out at least a few and a couple that are almost impossible to get to without completely disassembling everything. And then the cable clamps would break trying to get them back in. What a mess. I am taking it to an audio shop tomorrow to see if they have better luck. If not, to the dealer for probably a full replacement at a ridiculous cost for something that just required a $120 part. Unreal.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
That is pretty unreal. Especially when the base stereo and the "premium" non-HK stereo have plenty of room in the back. I wonder if its because of the more complicated nature of the nav unit where you have the large screen and then more controls underneath that causes the problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was surprised too. I had read on here and some other places that there was very little give before I started. But was very surprised it was so little. Especially since a couple youtube videos and a pdf I saw showed a little more than I actually got. My wife was the only one that could get her hand and wrist back there. So I asked her to check if it was snagged on anything and it wasn't. So I was obviously leery of pulling any connectors out for fear of not being able to get anything reconnected. In restrospect I probably should have done just that and asked an audio shop or dealer to reconnect it when I was complete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts