Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outback recently received this tire puncture (can see screw head in the darker right area of the image):

Firestone wouldn't fix it, said it was on shoulder. Tire Plus would. Tire plus said their rule is a thumb in from outer tread. But he said some places it has to be too thumbs... basically eliminating the outer tread row from repair. Since it was so cheap I got it fixed... however... I'm now wondering if this is going to be wise to take on longer distance road trips and whatnot.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Keep an eye on the pressure. If it leaks it is new tires (not just a tire) time.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
916 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I have never had a patched tire cause any issues as long as the patch was in the tread like yours. Firestone shops are well known to push the customer to buy work that isn't needed. You were wise to go elsewhere.

·
Registered
4 Outback wagons, from 1997 to 1999
26 Posts
I agree that getting it fixed was the correct thing to do. In the last several years, I have moved exclusively to the method that puts the "patch" on the inside, with the "pull through" portion going from the inside to the outside of the tire.

These seem to never leak or fail. I suppose that it also makes more "sense" to me, to have the air pressure shoving against the patch. I have had the "cord through the tire" style fail, especially when the tires get a bit older.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
make sure you get a patch and not a plug. a plug will damage the tire, its a temporary fix. a patch will not give you any issues. firestone sucks, the only good thing about them is lifetime alignments, but when they "recommend" stuff, just ignore them.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
I have a tire right now on my truck that has a plug in it. Been there for 10k miles, no leak. I have used plugs in many tires and, if done properly, have never caused a problem. I also have had them patched from the inside. That is the preferred method of repair, but sometimes on the road a plug kit is the fastest and cheapest method. If a plug is going to leak it usually leaks from the start.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
Looks fixable to me (provided that the tire wasn't ran with too low on air).

The best puncture repair is with the patch/plug combo that Norm mentioned. It's a plug and patch in one. The benefit is that it acts like a traditional patch to keep the air in and the plug keeps water away from the tire's steel cords so they don't rust internally. I have no concerns with running a speed rated tire at speeds with the patch/plug combo.

The second best repair in my opinion is a patch alone.

The last option I'd choose is the gummy worm style plug. They will work and a lot of people have had no issues with them, but I'd only use on log enough to get me home where I could properly install a patch. Even though it isn't the best option, it is still a viable option for a quick tire repair. I carry the gummy worm plugs on my motorcycle in case I get a puncture out on the road so I do have trust in plugs, but again, just long enough to get me home for a proper patch job.

I will refrain from commenting about my feeling of Firestone tire centers.

·
Registered
2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
129 Posts
I had no problem on plug in type so far, as long as the plug in in the tread area you will be be fine. The soft rubberized/sticky plug will fill in the hole and stop the leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts