Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Currently, a ‘15 Forester 2.5i (Previously owned a '98 Forester - 4 cars ago)
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might possibly be getting a used 2013 Outback 2.5 and also looking at a 2015 Forester 2.5. Both CVT trannies.
Both available at one dealership.
Both are just over 110,000 km, give or take, and seem to be in excellent condition.

I have not been able to find an online comparison, other than dimensions.

Waiting to hear back about financing. If either vehicle is available, I just can’t decide between the two.

I’ve had a Forester in the past but thought I’d get an Outback next. Having looked at both of these now, I’m in a quandry, and not sure.

The Outback feels more solid and a bit larger, but the Forester is a bit more agile and maneuverable.

I understand the difference in towing, about 2600lb vs 1500 lb.
At most, we’d be towing a rented Tent trailer 1/yr, as far as that goes.

I am mainly using the vehicle for driving Uber(Forester would be better for this - size/maneuverability), and
for doing photography, (portraiture)carrying equipment, etc (either vehicle will do for that).
There’s mostly just my wife and I and our daughter, still a child, for various family outings here and there, and a once/yr long trip.

Can anybody chime in about reliability, any mechanical differences that would tilt me either way, or simply just a helpful insight or two that I may not be aware of.

I know this is an Outback forum, but you’ve all been very helpful, level-headed and impartial in past opinions expressed. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I have a '15 OB, my wife had a '14 Forester which she traded for a '17 Forester last year. All 2.5's with the CVT.

I don't particularly like the Forester because you sit on top the seats instead of down in the seats. My wife doesn't like the OB for the same reasons.

Mechanically they are about the same. Buy the one you like.

Read any warranty you may buy very carefully. Most don't cover cars used commercially, i.e. Uber.

Reactions: Gman_bosco

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 Limited CVT, 2-3" ADF lift, and more
47 Posts
Make sure you check the VIN and/or history of that 2013 OB vis a vis the oil consumption issue. My oil consumption didn't show up on my 2013 OB until after 70,000 or so miles, after I bought it used. Others have had that same experience regarding mileage/km's. Drivetrain wise, not sure if that 2015 Forester has a different CVT generation than the OB. 2015 they put a third generation CVT in the refreshed Outback. Thats about the only other mechanical/component difference I can think of. Other than that, really just personal preferences I suppose.
Good Luck!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,192 Posts
I would pick neither.

both have extended warranties on the FB25B engine and the CVT trans. (not recalled but both problematic),...that extended warranty runs out at 100,000 miles. in a few years there could be a glut of these needing engines / transmissions.

(it seems like the only subaus they made in 2015 that do not have a systemic problem with their engine or trans, is the STI,
and 2015s clog dealer lots now as they are 3 years old and off lease).

what I would do, wait for the 2016s to come back in from their original leases in august/sept.

____

if you need something now. six cylinder outbacks of 2010-14 have the last of the great 5EAT transmissions, and tow nicely.
(listed gas mileage is less, but not bad considering you are getting the hp/torque to do the work) these last of the great 5EAT cars maybe the ones to fight over in the future.

·
Registered
Currently, a ‘15 Forester 2.5i (Previously owned a '98 Forester - 4 cars ago)
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would pick neither.

both have extended warranties on the FB25B engine and the CVT trans. (not recalled but both problematic),...that extended warranty runs out at 100,000 miles. in a few years there could be a glut of these needing engines / transmissions.

(it seems like the only subaus they made in 2015 that do not have a systemic problem with their engine or trans, is the STI,
and 2015s clog dealer lots now as they are 3 years old and off lease).

what I would do, wait for the 2016s to come back in from their original leases in august/sept.

____

if you need something now. six cylinder outbacks of 2010-14 have the last of the great 5EAT transmissions, and tow nicely.
(listed gas mileage is less, but not bad considering you are getting the hp/torque to do the work) these last of the great 5EAT cars maybe the ones to fight over in the future.

Eagle eye:
Great advice. I wasn’t aware of any of that. Thank you!

...However, last night we went ahead and got the 2015 Forester.
Everything seems on the up and up, it’s a clean vehicle, practically new, and drives beautifully. It fits my current needs.

If I wasn’t using it to drive around all day long, I would have gotten the Outback, and the H6., as you said. Perfect combo.

Hopefully I won’t regret my decision. Here’s hoping.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,192 Posts
Eagle eye:
Great advice. I wasn’t aware of any of that. Thank you!

...However, last night we went ahead and got the 2015 Forester.
Everything seems on the up and up, it’s a clean vehicle, practically new, and drives beautifully. It fits my current needs.

If I wasn’t using it to drive around all day long, I would have gotten the Outback, and the H6., as you said. Perfect combo.

Hopefully I won’t regret my decision. Here’s hoping.

if cranking the miles up on it:

something to always keep a warranty on the engine and trans as long as you own it,

if a 3rd party one: search for one known to pay out.

keep receipts / records for oil changes, and CVT fluid swaps.

______

hope the odd forester front seats don't wear on you.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
if cranking the miles up on it:

something to always keep a warranty on the engine and trans as long as you own it,

if a 3rd party one: search for one known to pay out.

keep receipts / records for oil changes, and CVT fluid swaps.

______

hope the odd forester front seats don't wear on you.
Keep in mind the OP said he was an Uber driver. Hard to find extended warranties that cover commercially used vehicles.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,192 Posts
Keep in mind the OP said he was an Uber driver. Hard to find extended warranties that cover commercially used vehicles.
driving for uber is said to be a non-profit business though,...

as such it is a part time job that people start and stop often, probably no reason to report it to a warranty company.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
monitor fluid levels well and you shouldn't be caught in a bad place.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
driving for uber is said to be a non-profit business though,...

as such it is a part time job that people start and stop often, probably no reason to report it to a warranty company.
As long as you don't mind committing insurance fraud.

My son sees warranty claims regularly denied on vehicles owned by Uber and Lyft drivers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts