Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchase Price on 2013 Outback *Premium

All - My wife and I have finally decided its time to buy an Outback. Our current car - a Honda Fit - does not provide us with the space or driving ability we need for our outdoor adventuring.

My wife gets "factory pricing" through her employer. When we went to our local dealer we met with the "factory fleet" manager, who basically told us our purchase price is $500 over invoice price on any vehicle we want.

We're looking at a 2013 2.5 Premium with the following options:
- Popular Package 3
- CVT
- All Weather w/ Moonroof

I tested the Harmon Kardon upgraded soundsystem, but found its performance substandard. Instead, I intend on installing an aftermarket system of some sort (probably just upgraded speakers / audio receiver).

We were quoted for this car at 27,695 invoice, making our total purchase price $28,195. I still think there's some negotiating room in that price, as I know the dealer is getting at least a 3% holdback. Does $28,195 sound like a reasonably good price for the vehicle?

I have not even begun negotiating trade-in value on our Fit. I want to nail down the price of the car first. I may end up going private party on the Fit if the dealer makes a low offer.

Thoughts?

(Thanks in advance - this forum has been incredibly useful in helping us decide on an Outback).

*Edit - I put "Limited" in the title, not "Premium," as is the car we are looking at.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
The HK system gets better with time...and it sounds much better with CD or music via USB. FM, AM, and Satellite sounds bad on it (as it does on other systems).

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
We were quoted for this car at 27,695 invoice, making our total purchase price $28,195. I still think there's some negotiating room in that price, as I know the dealer is getting at least a 3% holdback. Does $28,195 sound like a reasonably good price for the vehicle?
The invoice price sounds about right. My configuration is similar to yours, minus Popular Package 3, and came in at 27,400 and some change for the invoice. The price paid was about 26,800 before trade/etc. And I had one offer lower than that as well.

I went with the "higher priced" dealer mostly because I told them to beat the OTD price from the other guy. Which they did, partly by increasing the trade offer on my existing car. But you should be able to get under 27k depending on your local market's conditions.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
If you follow the guidelines in this forum you can do much better than invoice. I suggest that you do what others have done (I followed this guideline) and did very well.
Sent a note to all the dealers using the Subaru web site that each dealer has and just paste your requirements into that for each dealer you choose. You will get emails from them and calls as well. I used 10 dealers in my area and all replied back with 5-6 offering quotes. Take your time as this takes about 5 working days or more since the sales personnel have to clear things with their management.
You should be able to get 1000 off invoice or better.
Good luck and welcome...

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
All - My wife and I have finally decided its time to buy an Outback. Our current car - a Honda Fit - does not provide us with the space or driving ability we need for our outdoor adventuring.

My wife gets "factory pricing" through her employer. When we went to our local dealer we met with the "factory fleet" manager, who basically told us our purchase price is $500 over invoice price on any vehicle we want.

We're looking at a 2013 2.5 Premium with the following options:
- Popular Package 3
- CVT
- All Weather w/ Moonroof

I tested the Harmon Kardon upgraded soundsystem, but found its performance substandard. Instead, I intend on installing an aftermarket system of some sort (probably just upgraded speakers / audio receiver).

I have not even begun negotiating trade-in value on our Fit. I want to nail down the price of the car first. I may end up going private party on the Fit if the dealer makes a low offer.

Thoughts?

(Thanks in advance - this forum has been incredibly useful in helping us decide on an Outback).
I found the HK audio option in the 3.6r w/nav/eyesight to be very, very good. I took a CD that I am beyond intimately familiar with, and the system did a fantastic job of reproducing it. But your ears may vary.

I used a 2013 from another dealer to test the fit in my garage. This one was a 4 banger with CVT and I did NOT like the CVT. At all.

Push the gas to the floor and the engine would redline until you got to the speed you wanted and then it would back down. It was weird.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Ltd 2.5 w/ EyeSight
37 Posts
I got invoice w/o much negotiation with the dealer ($200 under invoice + $200 doc fee) and w/o a trade. But it was exactly what I was looking for and I didn't have to order it and wait 6-8 weeks. What a lot of people aren't necessarily doing is indicating whether the price they paid is before or after doc fee or whether a trade is involved.

If you're financing, your interest rate can be more important than how many hundred you attempt to get below invoice. I got 1.49% through Pentagon Federal Credit Union, which is open to anyone. If you go through their buying service (ZAG-based) then you can get 0.49% APR. But nowadays, dealers are dropping ZAG.

I also am not impressed with the H/K audio. But I didn't buy the car for the radio, so I'm ok putting up with it. I also happen to like the CVT. I'm not aggressive with the gas and the engine never goes above 3K rpm when accelerating (just like every other car, stick and auto, that I've driven).

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
37 Posts
Invoice less 175.00 + ttl and a few dealer installed options at no labor.

I got invoice w/o much negotiation with the dealer ($200 under invoice + $200 doc fee) and w/o a trade. But it was exactly what I was looking for and I didn't have to order it and wait 6-8 weeks. What a lot of people aren't necessarily doing is indicating whether the price they paid is before or after doc fee or whether a trade is involved.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
31 Posts
Usually the "factory pricing" deals are non-negotiable prices. So forget that. Shoot for less than invoice in your negotiations!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Upon further research, I think the "$500 over invoice" isn't even factory pricing. From what I can tell, the factory fleet discounts on a 2013 subaru range from $700-$900 off invoice. 2013 Model Year Fleet Programs Manufacturer Fleet Incentives Publications ARI - Automotive Fleet Management

(yes, link says audi but will take you to subaru discounting).

And $700-900 off invoice seems to be a good target price, given the other prices I have seen on here. That also is more consistent with the $26800 price paid by Kolenka.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
37 Posts
My local dealers are not willing to go much at all below invoice, especially on a factory ordered 2013, main reason they give is they have a lot of 2012s on the lot.

True from what I see, there seems to be maybe 12 2012s and 12 2013s and then a good handful of 2011s on the lots around here.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
My local dealers are not willing to go much at all below invoice, especially on a factory ordered 2013, main reason they give is they have a lot of 2012s on the lot.

True from what I see, there seems to be maybe 12 2012s and 12 2013s and then a good handful of 2011s on the lots around here.
New 2011's?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay - I did some negotiating. Dropped the moonroof package, but kept all weather. Car we are settled on is 2.5i Prem CVT All Weather. After we went back and forth a little bit, they offered the vehicle at $26K flat, about $500 under invoice.

We're thinking about the offer. It seems fair. Definitely going to sell the fit private party though.

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
198 Posts
so is it Limited you are buying or Premium? Thread title says Limited but everyone seems to be talking about Premium with some packages?

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
I got a premium with the same things you have but no moonroof. Personally I did not want one. I had one on my last two cars and just never used it. Can't really speak to price as I am active military and Subaru has a buyers program for us that gets us a decent price. I went with the radio that came with the premium package and found it fine for me but I'm not a great music judge, especially with wind and road noise. I got the CVT and it is growing on me to the point that I like it. I drove a stick all the time and I think if you have the same background, the CVT may seem a little more strange at first. Sounds almost like a slipping clutch. My wife who only drives automatics did not seem to notice the change much at all. I like it though and it give me the gas milage I was looking for. I drove a little over 600 miles yesterday with only one short stop and found it pretty comfortable also. Have fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ordered Yesterday

Yesterday I ordered a 2013 white Outback 2.5i Limited (PZEV) with Special Appearance Package, body side molding, splash guards, all weather mats, rear seat back protectors, and wheel locks. It will take about 4 weeks to arrive. I found that most cars on the lot have options or accessories that I do not want to pay for, so ordering was the best choice. Negotiated price was $30,980 including freight. This price is about $800 under dealer invoice and $3,465 under MSRP. Out the door price including sales tax, doc fees, etc. was $33,000 even. Moral of the story is if you go to a high volume dealer and can wait for a special order you will save $$$. Also, use Edmunds.com and start your negotiations with their "True Market Value" after you build the car the way you want. Dealers seem to be aware of this and my dealer used it as their first offer to me. Kelly Blue Book has higher prices and is not accurate. Hope this helps. Looking forward to the arrival.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
This is exactly the package I have. Subaru Employee Price is $27,200. The supplier discount you speak of woould be equal to the $27,200 or maybe a little less discount, but I think you could still get the employee price

1 - 20 of 21 Posts