Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I signed up today to ask you guys about some info on a MY04-05 Outback, I've always wanted one (albeit an older one) but now I'm finally getting around to it. I had a couple of questions if anyone can help out, cheers!

• Is there a difference between a 3.0R Premium sunroof and a 3.0R with a sunroof or any other 2.5l varient with a sunroof for that matter? I see people listing "dual sunroof" a lot but the images look to be the same sunroof.
• Other than the sun roof, leather interior and electric (heated + controls) driver side seat, what does premium offer? (I've heard of this load balancing suspension on the rear but only briefly)
• What are people opinions about a 200k vehicle having clocked them almost exclusively on the highway (Bunbury to Mandurah if anyone know's Perth, WA) vs 100k kms clocked in the city and potentially off-road. I'm a firm believer that it's how you use the car, not the distance it's gone..
• What's likely to need replacing with the 4cyl manual (I've read clutch, spark plugs CV boots (Are seals the same thing?) and timing belt) The 4cyl one I'm looking at has done 200k and had clutch changed, that's all as far as I'm aware.

Options currently are (AUD, yes ours cost more too):
• 3.0R 100k $14,000 w/leather
• 3.0R Premium 200k $14,000 (New cv shafts, boots, oil cooler rings?)
• 2.5 (MY05) 200k $10,000 w/leather, sunroof Manual (new clutch)
• 2.5 160k $12,000 Manual (from dealer with "120point check" whatever that covers..)

Very tempted to make an offer on the 3.0R premium but it's kms are very high and I doubt they're highway kms. Otherwise I think the MY05 will be the go because it's cheaper.

Any help comparing the 6cyl to the 4cyl would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
every 105K miles or 105 months, whichever comes first, the H4 is due for a timing belt change (plus some associated parts). The H6 has a chain and no scheduled work is required for it. The H4 will get better mileage.

in general, 8 year old cars could need any number of repairs or 'catch-up' maintenance so, their former care and present condition are the main aspects you need to assess. If you post your city, you might get lucky and someone here could suggest a good shop to take a prospective car for pre-purchase inspection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have had an excellent reply from another forum member so I'm a little more in-tune with what to look for but any further pointers are definitely welcome. I'm very familiar now with the obvious time belt (which seems odd people would mention as it's not specific to Outbacks, all cars with them need them replacing, my BMW E30 every 70,000kms for instance)

H4 getting better Kilometerage ;), is something I'm aware of, again obvious but I wonder what everyone compares this to? The margin appears to be as little as 5% (11 vs 12L/100k) in some figures or 25% (11 vs 14) in others, either way unless it's around 35% onward, is $10 a week extra what everyone's up in arms about?
Cause that's a beer at the pub here in Aus, which I can't see people justify having a less capable/fun car in order to save that per week. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
17,619 Posts
I used to work in a pertroleum related field. To me, it's a miracle of science, engineering,distribution that gas isn't 10x what it costs.
I pick the vehicle I want, then I buy the fuel it needs. I only monitor mileage as an indicator of problems. Someday, I may feel differently and I understand why it's big on some folk's minds.
People where I work occasionally whine about fuel prices when they go up. I usually ask for a show of hands from everyone that carpooled in to work. No hands, and everything goes quiet again!

Our H6 is a very nice highway cruiser. The H6 is glass-smooth. If the car will be towing or will be regularly loaded with gear or your mates, the H6 is the better choice. Not much low gearing for jack-rab (yikes - almost said the 'R' word to an Aussie) uh - not very fast off the line, but as good as many 6es I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha yep sounds about right.. But then I surf solo a lot so those trips can't be offset by carpooling or my cars the only one that'll take my board so I end up driving anyway haha

Yeah I'm pretty set on this R (H6) ;) so I'll let you know how the hunt goes, seeing 2 today

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,

I checked out two today.
The 2004 3.0 R Standard and Premium. I'm very close to snapping up the Standard, with leather @ 105,000km for $13,500 it looks very nice and has been kept well.

• There was an ever so slight rumbly whine that comes in at about 70-80kph, only during acceleration at that point though, goes away after that speed and doesn't show whilst your foots off the accelerator, cruise control made it quieter but it was still there, again though everrrrrr so slight, could be mistaken for road surface almost, but I tried on a few different roads, but that sort of thing. Any thoughts?

• Oddly enough the car reports this guy gets (presumably averaged) 9.1L/100Km. The indicator on the center console up top actually reads 10.9k Per Litre, weird measurement, but presumably reliable. This was averaged over 555k's. That's incredibly better than the 14L/100k some people from the states report (25MPG instead of 16MPG). 25mpg isn't the 35mpg some small cars get but this isn't a small car.

• Just found this bad boy

That's exactly the look I'd like, and there's one very close to that, having done 165,000kms going for $10,500. It's a 2003 H6 3.0 model but still leather and sunroofs - I had almost decided on the aforementioned 2004 H6 until I saw this pop up.. and for 3 grand less, in the white, with that look + tint + sun roof, it just really has me guessing.

• Can I ask your guys opinion on the value of a sun roof (Heat vs burn vs seat bleaching vs star gazing vs camping? etc)
• Can I ask your opinions on the 2003 compared to 04 revision.. I've only researched 04's onward, to date

Thoughts?! I'm so torn now :/
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
17,619 Posts
here, the gen 3s got the variable valve system, more HP (dunno if they got heavier) no-high octane recommendation, some say better coolant routing, that's about all I recall.

keeping in mind the year models may have switched at a different year, you might take a look at cars101.com for features, pictures and other info.

I have read about clogged drains in sunroofs, but i'm not sure I've read too many complaints about operational breakdowns.

I will also say, some whine from the front diff on our 03 was reduced by using a better fluid (Redline Lightweight Shockproof) maybe you were hearing the diff whine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks very much for that, good to know with regards to the whine and different fluid. Will keep that in mind. Yeah I'm darting all over the place at the moment, decision-wise.

Sunroofs, yeah I can imagine that. Understandable, will check em if I run into one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts