Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I am currently heavily considering buying a used 2008 Outback XT with 102k miles. The car fax shows that is has been maintained, the only thing that has not been maintained is it has not had the timing belt changed. I am really digging the look of the car, and the clean interior, but I am also very afraid that the mileage on it might lead up to some unexpected, and very high break down costs. They are asking 16000 for it, it blue books for a little more than the asking price, but I have never owned a Subaru before, and I am unsure if I am getting myself into something I shouldnt be.

Please give me all the feedback you can . Thanks guys, I will continue to search through these forums before I commit to this vehicle. <3

P.S - It had the turbo STOP SALE thing fixed at 30k miles, It is a automatic.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Read this thread. Maybe read it twice.

You'll be facing almost exactly the same thing.

The short version of it- the car will need between $600-1200 worth of ordinary maintenance at 105k miles, depending on how much you do yourself, local labor rates etc.

You should probably budget more money to do some preventative mods, and yet more for stuff you'll want to change just because you want to make it yours.

If the seller can't cough up a complete maintenance history, there is an increased likelihood of expensive problems later. This doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the car; but it does mean you should prepare yourself.

Possible preparations:

•Extended warranty of some sort
•negotiate a lower purchase price and STASH WHAT YOU SAVE for a rainy day
•Stash something anyway
•Make the seller do the 105k maintenance as a condition of sale

Not suggesting you need to do all of the above, but hopefully one or more will fit your lifestyle & finances. If not... you should probably consider another car instead.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
Rasterman has good advice. I recently purchased a 2007 with 98K. In my case, the car was purchased new, regularly maintained and traded in on a newer model at the dealership I bought it from. They also did the complete 105K service and clutch before reselling the car. I paid ~15K for mine. That 105K service isn't inexpensive. I think that's a primary reason why you see many for sale in that mileage range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car fax shows all oil changes done since it was purchased brand new, 2 owners, trans fluid and everything being flushed a couple times, turbo replaced, and i jsut contacted the dealer and they said they would go ahead and do the 105 maintenance on it for me since its so close to 105k .. ? i read that thread 3 times

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Turbo replaced? That doesn't sounds good. There a numerous instances of multiple turbo failures. When did it fail? There could be issues with the short block if metal got in to the engine when the turbo failed. It also means the previous owner didn't keep up with the maintenance.

What was the oil chance interval? Should have been 3750, bonus for synthetic.

I would probably pass. There are better cars out there for 16k.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I would strongly recommend signing out the car for an extended test drive and taking it to an independent inspection mechanic before you go any further.

If you have the dealer do the 105k maintenance, insist on belt, tensioner, idler pulleys and water pump. They are likely to complain that it shouldn't need all of that, but those should be your firm terms.

And get the job record with parts list in writing before closing the sale. Make sure you are satisfied with their terms for guaranteeing the work, whatever they may be.

With the car on its 2nd turbo, that gives me a bit more pause. How long ago? If the new turbo has been in there for say 20k miles then I wouldn't worry. Trouble would have surfaced by now if it's going to.

If it was much more recently, I'd just walk away and start looking for a different XT. They may be rare but they aren't that rare.

tdelker has a strong point- multiple turbo failures have an unfortunate association with XTs. It fails once for whatever reason, then whomever is on the hook to fix it tries to do it as cheaply as they can and it starts a circular problem, engine kills turbo, turbo kills engine, rinse, repeat, wipe hands on $100 bills going out the window...

·
Registered
2009 OBXT, 5MT, SWP
38 Posts
P.S - It had the turbo STOP SALE thing fixed at 30k miles, It is a automatic.
The stop sale would have involved replacing the short block. I don't know how easy it would be to get a dealer to replace the short block proactively so it was probably replaced due to failure. Depending what contamination they found they could have replaced the turbo at that time. Mine went at 21.5k and they replaced the short block, turbo, and oil pump. If you know what city the car was in at that mileage then it should be easy to call the dealerships and get the repair details based on the VIN. This happened 70k miles ago on the car you are looking at. If there were any other issues related to that incident they would have shown up long ago.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/all-08-09-lgt-obxt-fxt-and-sti-owners-85483.html?t=85483

Subaru issues turbo STOP SALE on certain 08-09 models - Page 10 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts