Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time Subaru buyer and hoping to drive home OB by the end of this month.

I'm looking at the remaining 2017 models and I'm not seeing many "new" ones with the color combinations I want, but in my area (SE Michigan) there numerous very lightly used (most less than 4k miles and are all CPO) models for sale and all are from Subaru dealers and say either "DEMO" or "Courtesy". Prices are under $25k for a 2.5i Premium.

I couldn't find much info on this forum on buying these type of used cars and I wanted some thoughts on what are some pros and cons outside of the general used car things. Also does a demo or courtesy car doing anything to the original warranty?

Thanks for all help!

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
345 Posts
Why not ask the dealer? If you like what you hear, confirm it in your purchase deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,851 Posts
@Kevin and @Carl Abrams are both dealer sales people,

and these are typically suggested as good buys.
my own H6 car was a corp. demo with 15,000 miles on it when I bought it, parked next to six others that had 4,000

Kevin works at a dealer in Indianapolis which is not far from Michigan, and you can visit the subaru manufacturing plant on the same trip.

_____

and people do order cars in colors/equipment they want, or dealers trade cars to get customer's the colors / equipment they want.
(I know locally dealers sending the detail and janitor crew 500 miles one way to swap cars).

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
CPO, less than 4k miles. If you find one you like, buy it.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
but in my area (SE Michigan) there numerous very lightly used (most less than 4k miles and are all CPO) models for sale and all are from Subaru dealers and say either "DEMO" or "Courtesy". Prices are under $25k for a 2.5i Premium.

I couldn't find much info on this forum on buying these type of used cars and I wanted some thoughts on what are some pros and cons outside of the general used car things. Also does a demo or courtesy car doing anything to the original warranty?
Those are almost all SSLP cars - Subaru Service Loaner Program. When you bring your car in for service, the dealer will have cars available as free loaners for you, so you don't have to sit around the dealership and wait. Once those cars have accumulated either a certain amount of miles (typically 5,000) OR have been in service as loaners for more than 120 days, they can be pulled from the program and sold as pre-owned cars.

They can't be sold as new cars, because they were titled to the dealership. And they're almost all going to be CPO, because they WERE titled to the dealership. I think in the five years I've been here, the only loaner we didn't CPO was one that a customer wrecked.

As for original warranty, you'll get what's LEFT. Most of the cars were placed in service 4 - 6 months before being available for sale, and that's when the original factory warranty started. With a CPO, you'll get more powertrain warranty than factory, and it's easy to put a wrap warranty on it.

Downside? It's pre-owned. So it's NOT going to qualify for new car interest rates. It's also liable to have small dings on it. It should also have had the first oil change, and at least down here, where the Maintain the Love program is in effect, means that it doesn't get the 2 year / 24,000 miles of free maintenance. You're in Michigan, so that wouldn't apply up there anyway.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5i 2016 VW Passat SE
220 Posts
They can't be sold as new cars, because they were titled to the dealership.
I've bought 3 cars that were loaners or demo/driven by the GM of the dealership in the past 5 years. Two were Subarus, one was VW, all 3 were titled as new. All had under 10k miles, but the Subarus were in the 3500-4500 range, and the VW was shy of 9k.

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
First time Subaru buyer and hoping to drive home OB by the end of this month.

I'm looking at the remaining 2017 models and I'm not seeing many "new" ones with the color combinations I want, but in my area (SE Michigan) there numerous very lightly used (most less than 4k miles and are all CPO) models for sale and all are from Subaru dealers and say either "DEMO" or "Courtesy". Prices are under $25k for a 2.5i Premium.

Thanks for all help!
Nothing wrong with a slightly used car, if the price is right and the condition is acceptable. I would buy one, if that's what I was looking for. We are all driving used cars.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring
67 Posts
I went to a SE Michigan dealer specifically to test and maybe drive a demo hub 17 Outback (maybe same dealer? Sellers?). Anyways, I tried two. Almost settled on one, then I decided to test drive an 18. Oops. Ended up buying new. Nothing wrong with the 17 overall and it would have been so much more financially savvy, but I am very picky about wind noise and I felt the 18 was a big improvement, among other small things that added up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In 2011 My wife bought the Toyota dealers service loaner Prius. (Replacing her Matrix that was totaled from a weather related accident not her fault) it was a great car for the 6 weeks we had it until I totaled that one in a weather related accident, also not my fault.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
In 2011 My wife bought the Toyota dealers service loaner Prius. (Replacing her Matrix that was totaled from a weather related accident not her fault) it was a great car for the 6 weeks we had it until I totaled that one in a weather related accident, also not my fault.
Yikes, talk about bad luck. Hope everyone was ok?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts