Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've collected bids for a 2.5i 2013 Limited with moonroof from 6 dealerships and after some back and forth, the best price I have is $28,100 excluding title fees, etc. I really hate leaving money on the table... How much lower could I conceivably negotiate?

At the same time, I'm having second thoughts about the Limited trim. My desired features are: leather, back up camera and compass on mirror, cold weather package and 110 V outlet. I dislike moonroofs and anemic in-car nav systems.

I hate that the limited trim has the backup cam in the stereo and no compass. I also dislike that I have to pay for moonroof to get the backup cam. I can get a premium reupholstered with higher quality leather than ltd for $1250, the 110V outlet is an available option on premium, as is the cold weather package. The missing piece is the in-mirror backup cam and compass. Is there any way to get these features on a premium trim? Are they relatively easy to upgrade from a totaled OB?

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
I have the backup cam in the mirror on my Premium (due to getting it bundled with the Moonroof), but there is no compass. I don't think the 13's have that like previous models did.

It used to be you could get the homelink/backup camera without the moonroof, but I'm not sure that is an option anymore either. :(

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
If you really don't want the moonroof just have the rearview camera and a mirror with monitor added latter aftermarket, you can buy the mirror from amazon for like $300 same one Subaru uses OEM and a camera for under $100 that mounts inplace of 1 of thr licence plate lights. I've seen the camera for $18 and a mirror that has the monitor and clips over the stock mirror for $40 on ebay (from China) not sure of quality though. I would love to know what others have used, as I would like to add this to my 2010 Limited myself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went with the Premium and plan on adding leather sometime down the road. Mirror with compass is easy to add. The outback is already wired for it, so you just order one online or from the dealer and install it. Backup cam is a little more difficult. One option is to add an aftermarket headunit with screen and hook up a backup cam to it. For the 110v, this is something that would be easy to hardwire. I just keep a power inverter in the rear storage area and use it with the 12v socket in the back. Cold weather package is available on premium, and is worth it.

·
Registered
'13 Premium CVT, AWP, 1b
9 Posts
I debated between a limited and premium as well, also like you do not need a moonroof (my old 4runner had one and i used it like twice a year maybe) or a clunky navigation system. Ended up getting a premium AWP and the only things I would have added if I could were leather seats and the aha capability. Not complaining at all about the fabric seats, I had just become accustomed to leather in my 4runner. Totally worth it to me to save the couple grand price difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've collected bids for a 2.5i 2013 Limited with moonroof from 6 dealerships and after some back and forth, the best price I have is $28,100 excluding title fees, etc. I really hate leaving money on the table... How much lower could I conceivably negotiate?
If the MSRP on this is $31,8xx - the best I've had so far is $29,200. That's 1,100 more than your quote!

Do you mind sharing the location / dealership?

I figured with the 2014's coming out in June that I could do better than 29. Tough nut to crack so far. I've been at it about a week.

Agree with your points - the trims / options aren't as flexible as other makes. I guess it helps streamline production.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MSRP on the specout is 32,248. Portland, OR - other quotes are 28,500, 28,550, 28,600. Subaru of Lithia, Wentworth, Dick Hannah, Bud Clary, respectively. Do everything via email, collect a list of every Subaru dealership in whatever radius you're willing to drive to. Ask for the best quote from the 1st, ask the 2nd to beat that, take the 2nd offer to the 3rd. Continue to end of list, then take the last dealer's number to the 1st. Repeat until they balk, then choose the closest dealer with the lowest price.

There are an abnormally high number of subaru dealerships in the Portland, OR area, so the process is a little easier.

Has anyone heard of adding a 2012 mirror w/ compass and backup screen to a 2013 limited and using that? Where is the stock backup camera located? Would a premium w/o moonroof already have the wiring for backup cam in place?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some dealers also offer lifetime powertrain warranties that are supposedly good throughout the country. Does anyone have experience with these? It smells like a fishy dealer trick, but I don't really know...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts