Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sat in our new Onyx this morning with my wife to determine the best way for her to stow her purse. She and her friends have complained for a long time that there must be no women on the design teams because there is never a convenient place to store a purse. I started looking around and found a few approaches: hooks that attach to the headrest posts that face forward or backward, a center mesh cargo net/pouch, and a box that sits on the floor hump between the rear seats. We may end up trying all three to see which she likes the best, but I thought I would post this and see what others have done, if anything, to address this. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,167 Posts
She and her friends have complained for a long time that there must be no women on the design teams because there is never a convenient place to store a purse.
Well, I'm male, and I carry a purse - albeit a rather small, thin, Euro style man-purse (aka "murse").

And what I do is just keep it on me, on my left side against the door. It's easiest to wear it this way for getting into an out of the vehicle, it's always available if I need to get at it, and most importantly, it's not going to be left behind - which where I live will get you a broken window pretty fast.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has actually done that for her small travel purse, but the large one would be a driving hazard if she tried wearing that one-too much weight that could shift and interfere with her ability to drive.

We spent more time discussing the known options-neither of like the cargo net or pouch suspended between the front seats, so for now it will probably be either a low console that sits on the rear seat floor hump or a headrest hook that hangs from the front when she is drivng or the rear when she is a passenger.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,672 Posts
Do you eat Walker shortbread cookies?
a fine place to put a European carry all in a black interior.

I for one, keep my fat wallet in my front pocket.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SilverOnyx, I saw this solution in another post, and in fact we do have a couple of those tins laying around! I think my wife was hoping for something a bit more color coordinated with the Onyx interior; on the other hand, I could order another with the cookies still in it so I can properly prep the container.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring - Cinnamon Brown Pearl
20 Posts
I sat in our new Onyx this morning with my wife to determine the best way for her to stow her purse. She and her friends have complained for a long time that there must be no women on the design teams because there is never a convenient place to store a purse. I started looking around and found a few approaches: hooks that attach to the headrest posts that face forward or backward, a center mesh cargo net/pouch, and a box that sits on the floor hump between the rear seats. We may end up trying all three to see which she likes the best, but I thought I would post this and see what others have done, if anything, to address this. Thanks in advance!
Well, I use my cookie tins for important stuff like storing sandpaper, misc nuts and bolts and stuff like that. All kidding aside my wife and I have used between the "net/basket" between the seats, a basket/box on the back seat floor hump and the hooks that attach to the headrests and our preference is the headrest hooks. The net always seemed to get in the way and it's hard to get stuff out of sometimes and the floor box is difficult for her to reach.
The headrest hooks are easy to snap in or take out. They are out of the way but pretty easy to reach by using the hook opposite to the seat you are in. I like them a lot because they hold lots of stuff besides purses. I've put them on each post so there are 4 in each of my cars. I use them all the time for keeping small grocery bags from falling over, I also keep a ball cap or sun hat on one all the time and I use them to l hold my coat/rain gear when I'm driving because I get too hot wearing them in the car.
There are several designs, below is a link to Amazon for one type I use. They're effective and cheap, these are $4.99 for 4 hooks but there are several other styles to choose from. I've tried the type that lock but found they don't hold packages, purses or hats as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will run these by the decider and let her choose. The hooks seem like the best overall since it gives my wife a choice of locations for her purse and also keeps the rear seat floor area clear for other things, like a custom Walker trash/tool/hardware/small pet bin wrapped in fine Corinthian leather (with green stitching, of course!). 😀

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
345 Posts
Good grief, just keep it on the passenger seat or passenger floorboard like everyone else. No need to carry these monstrosities around just to go "shopping", I had this talk with my wife ages ago about carrying around unnecessary garbage and she finally tried out a new bag from Osprey and never looked back. It's a small simple, sling style bag with enough space for her little wallet and a few personal items. No fuss, no weight, easily stored anywhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then she will have the talk with me about why I need an audio upgrade, skid plates, AT tires, trailer hitch, etc, etc, so I don't think I'll be going there. It's not like she has a suitcase hanging off her shoulder, but she dislikes the fact that when we are on a long road trip, she either has to stick the purse next to her feet in front, where she has access to it, or in the back seat or floor, where she does not. Since she will be the primary driver around town, I want her to be comfortable with the car, and a $5 set of hooks seems like an easy way to give her an option she might like.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,387 Posts
I thought that was what the large trunk is for ;)

Serioulsly though, my past partners always placed their purses either in the trunk or underneath the passenger seat, out of sight and locked away.

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
I'll check out the hooks. I've been stupidly keeping it under my legs while driving even though I know a fast stop could cause interference with brake and throttle access.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,672 Posts
I'll check out the hooks. I've been stupidly keeping it under my legs while driving even though I know a fast stop could cause interference with brake and throttle access.
....Wonder Woman actually would make Batman carry / hold her purse in the Invisible Jet.....

maybe you make your husband hold it, This would be a safe / useful activity, while he is sitting in the passenger seat looking for unique rocks.

·
Registered
2019 Outback, 2014 Forester, 2020 Crosstrek Ltd.
105 Posts
I sat in our new Onyx this morning with my wife to determine the best way for her to stow her purse. She and her friends have complained for a long time that there must be no women on the design teams because there is never a convenient place to store a purse.
The situation has nothing to do with gender. For safety and security personal items like that should be stowed diagonally behind the occupant. If she's driving then the purse goes on the floor and out of sight behind the front passenger seat.
If she's the front seat passenger then it gets stowed on the floor behind the driver's seat.
This way either person can easily access stowed items by simply extending their arm right or left depending on where they're sitting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts