Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback H6 with moonroof/Nav
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I bought a 2012 Lexus IS 350C in August and it came with the keyless FOBs and push-button start. After a while I've really grown to like those features and I found a kit that looks like it would be able to add those features to my 2010 Suburu Outback 3.6 Ltd and I was wondering if anyone here had experience with any similar systems.

Advanced Keys - AK-104B Smart Key with Push Start System

It looks like it's ultimately not much more complicated than the remote-start features that I see a lot of you have installed on your car. (I do not have the factory remote start and I would honestly not even have the remote start feature enabled on this if and when I install it)

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
i have the knob start kit and haven't hooked it up yet, just make sure you go to someone who knows what they're doing. the knob is cheaper and simpler to install. i thought i could handle the install myself, guess not. the knob is just like what was in my shitsbishi but better since it automatically locks/unlocks.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
Someone buy this and let us know what you think!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just ordered one. There is a local shop that has good reviews that I am going to have install it in the near term future. They are quoting me $200 for the full install plus another $79 for the transponder bypass.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My BRZ has it and I really like it. Never need to take the keys out of my pocket. It's very nice!
When I was looking at buying myself a car in 2010 the Volvo that I liked (but ultimately decided against based on the company's uncertain future) and the BMW that I liked (but my wife didn't like me having!) had options for keyless FOBs that were in the order of $900 and I didn't think it was a really worthwhile feature. Fast forward to 2012 and my wife's car has it (as part of some other package) and I noticed that it was REALLY nice to just walk up to the car, get in, sit down and go and never have to fiddle with a key in the pocket! A few months later and I'm looking at spending close to $600 to have it added to my car now LOL

Speak of the BRZ how do you like it? Was considering buying one as a hobby car but the lack of AWD and turbo make me think I should wait to see if those don't get added to another package in 2014 (I heard a rumor from a friend that they were).

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
awd has absolutely no chance of coming to the brz. no point in a car like that. a turbo is coming though. however the wrx and sti are seperating from the impreza platform in the future so perhaps there will be a 2dr version and that of course would be awd.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
awd has absolutely no chance of coming to the brz. no point in a car like that. a turbo is coming though. however the wrx and sti are seperating from the impreza platform in the future so perhaps there will be a 2dr version and that of course would be awd.
+1. AWD cannot physically fit into the BRZ chassis unless they add a second transmission a la Ferrari FF. turbo should be a neat addition though.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
AWD would require a complete redesign of the car. This is what delayed making the car in the first place, the arguments of AWD vs RWD in toyota-subaru land.

The big question with these push to starts is how do you shut the car off in an emergency.

And you still need keys to unlock the steering column and get the car out of gear?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
AWD would require a complete redesign of the car. This is what delayed making the car in the first place, the arguments of AWD vs RWD in toyota-subaru land.

The big question with these push to starts is how do you shut the car off in an emergency.

And you still need keys to unlock the steering column and get the car out of gear?
The same way you shut down a modern computer. Push and hold the button. I suppose one could always install a kill switch.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited CVT
216 Posts
Speak of the BRZ how do you like it? Was considering buying one as a hobby car but the lack of AWD and turbo make me think I should wait to see if those don't get added to another package in 2014 (I heard a rumor from a friend that they were).
I love it. It's such a fun car to drive and it handles so well. Unfortunately it makes everything else I drive feel like a whale - including my svx. I don't see any chance of AWD coming to it and it really isn't the aim of the car. I would trade mine in on a turbo if/when it becomes available. The stock 200hp is more than enough to make it a quick car but it would be that much more thrilling with another 50hp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts