Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to special order a 2018 Outback Limited to be a push start delete? I understand the benefits and disadvantages of push start, but personally would rather have a car with a key in the ignition and the possibility of using a flat metal key to gain access to the vehicle. If not, I figure a Premium model would be the next best bet. Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
124 Posts
Not possible. There is a key inside the fob to enter the vehicle and there is a procedure to start the car of the battery dies in the fob, relax and embrace technology!

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
relax and embrace technology!
LOL....back in the mid-sixties when I worked on a tobacco farm our '39 Chevy farm truck had push button start.....nothing new about the idea.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,301 Posts
LOL....back in the mid-sixties when I worked on a tobacco farm our '39 Chevy farm truck had push button start.....nothing new about the idea.
You still had to turn the key on first though right? Being able to just use the key was the new technology at the time. No longer having to push the button on the floor with your foot probably seemed like magic when that transition was made. :laugh:

I put a push button start in my '89 Ford F350 Wrecker because the switch in the column got so worn out I couldn't turn the key far enough to start the truck.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You'd better get used to the new technology if you want to drive cars in the future. They work fine. You'll like it.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
You still had to turn the key on first though right? Being able to just use the key was the new technology at the time. No longer having to push the button on the floor with your foot probably seemed like magic when that transition was made. :laugh:

I put a push button start in my '89 Ford F350 Wrecker because the switch in the column got so worn out I couldn't turn the key far enough to start the truck.
Nope, no keys just a button on the floor next to the gas pedal.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
So did most military vehicles I rode around in while in the Army.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,301 Posts
Nope, no keys just a button on the floor next to the gas pedal.
Ah, the only ones I've seen had a key in the dash that was basically just an on/off switch and then you had to push the floor button to activate the starter.

My dad had a '47 or '48 International when I was young and I remember the floor starter but I don't remember if there was a key or not.
I'm the little guy in the parka on the right:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Nice pic. Those were cool trucks. Don't think there are too many of those left.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
448 Posts
My first car in the mid-1970’s was a 1950 Willy’s Jeepster that had a key switch on the dash and a foot starter on the floor next to the accelerator pedal. I remember pushing the accelerator with my heel slightly while pivoting my foot so my toes would push the starter button. It also had a manual choke. It had a three speed on the tree and overdrive. That little 4-cylinder always started even in Winter. It definitely wasn’t the fastest on four wheels, but it was reliable. Wish I still had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
After owning a car with push button start, I find it hard to go back to a car with a key. Fumbling around to dig the key out of coat pocket is a pain. So much easier to just leave a fob in your pocket and drive.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited -2.5 CVT ---- 'Gone' 2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's my hair
120 Posts
I experienced my first automobile ride in a '47 Studebaker. It had the starter button in a position under the clutch pedal. Genuine ignition interlock system. It also had an optional child proof door lock on the rear 'suicide' doors.

Then again Studebaker had a 'hill-holder' long before Subaru.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
136 Posts
It gets addicting not needing to use a key. My wife has had push button start cars for several years now. She refuses to go back. She hates traditional keys so much that she demanded I install a keypad lock on the door from the garage to the house.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No. Auto assembly plants as a rule don’t do individual special requests like what you want. All Limiteds get the push button start. All Premiums get an ignition key.

In the next few years, probably all new cars will have the push button start feature as standard equipment.

If you still want to persue a key ignition for a Limited, I doubt a dealer will swap it for you either. Maybe they’re afraid of causing warranty problems for Subaru if a problem should develop after the ignition swap. You’re either going to have to do it yourself or find an independantly owned shop to do it. And it’ll probably be too expensive to make it worth it.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Everybody fall in line, everybody gets the same thing, everybody gets the same color, it's 1984 in the car business. I sure am glad I must likely wouldn't live to see 2019, it sounds depressing.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,861 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to special order a 2018 Outback Limited to be a push start delete? I understand the benefits and disadvantages of push start, but personally would rather have a car with a key in the ignition and the possibility of using a flat metal key to gain access to the vehicle. If not, I figure a Premium model would be the next best bet. Thanks!
Please list the disadvantages of the Subaru’s push start.

By the way, I also wanted a manual key start, but I surrendered in order to get other features I wanted in the limited. After two months of use, I am glad I have the push start.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,512 Posts
Please list the disadvantages of the Subaru’s push start.
Most of these are gleaned from posts made in this forum:

• More electronics are involved.
  • Can drag the battery down if fob is stored too close to the parked car.
  • Difficult to stash fob in locked car if desired for wet activities.
  • Fob is more expensive to replace if lost than regular keyless-entry key.
  • Not very intuitive how to turn on Acc operation.
    And lastly...
  • It's new, I'm old, and I don't want it! ;)

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Most of these are gleaned from posts made in this forum:

• More electronics are involved.
  • Can drag the battery down if fob is stored too close to the parked car.
  • Difficult to stash fob in locked car if desired for wet activities.
  • Fob is more expensive to replace if lost than regular keyless-entry key.
  • Not very intuitive how to turn on Acc operation.
    And lastly...
  • It's new, I'm old, and I don't want it! ;)
You forgot makes car easier to steal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts